C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 6

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Thinking he breaks 60 this season. He will have two top-6 talents on his side (not Hall though) and will likely be on he PP1 or at worst PP2 fulltime

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
If Clayton Keller put up 65 points his rookie year, I don’t see why Hughes couldn’t. Isn’t that right, Pavelbuchnevich?

Keller had 2 pts the year after his draft. It was the following year he 65. Same for Elias Pettersson...spent another year in Sweden, then put up 66 pts the following season.

Hughes will have some adjustment periods, and won't be thrust into 1c duties, so I'd temper expectations in year one. 60+ points put put him in pretty elite company (Mathews, McDavid, MacKinnon).

Reactions: d rake

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Keller had 2 pts the year after his draft. It was the following year he 65. Same for Elias Pettersson...spent another year in Sweden, then put up 66 pts the following season.

Hughes will have some adjustment periods, and won't be thrust into 1c duties, so I'd temper expectations in year one. 60+ points put put him in pretty elite company (Mathews, McDavid, MacKinnon).
McD Matthews Mack I think are in a slightly higher tier than Huges ( with McD alone in his own above everyone ) .I think 60 points is a little high for Hughes to realistically hit this year .
He will need some time to adjust to the NHL game and tempo , new linemates , more games , travel schedule is a bit more taxing .
I’m hoping for 20g 30a . Anything over that is a bonus

Reactions: rickardr

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Hughes may not get 1st line minutes however he likely gets on the 1st PP unit with Hall, Gusev, Simmonds and Subban. That could get him 25+ PP points.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
McD Matthews Mack I think are in a slightly higher tier than Huges ( with McD alone in his own above everyone ) .I think 60 points is a little high for Hughes to realistically hit this year .
He will need some time to adjust to the NHL game and tempo , new linemates , more games , travel schedule is a bit more taxing .
I’m hoping for 20g 30a . Anything over that is a bonus

50 pts as an 18-year old would be very impressive. Still puts him in a very small club of elite guys.

Hughes may not get 1st line minutes however he likely gets on the 1st PP unit with Hall, Gusev, Simmonds and Subban. That could get him 25+ PP points.

I am guessing he starts season as 3C...may get to feast a bit on lesser defensive schemes. But 1st PP would surprise me.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
50 pts as an 18-year old would be very impressive. Still puts him in a very small club of elite guys.

I am guessing he starts season as 3C...may get to feast a bit on lesser defensive schemes. But 1st PP would surprise me.
Dahlin got 44 pts as an 18 year old defensemen on a terrible team.
Hughes should hit 60 in that Top 6.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
50 is the lower end of what I'm expecting. I see it falling somewhere from 50-60. I think there's a greater chance of going over 60 than under 50 but I don't see either happening

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
A fair "comparable" would be another C who made his debut last year in Kotkaniemi (who is 10 months older than Hughes).

If KK was able to put up 34 pts on a 3rd line without elite/top-end talent next to him, I can't see how Hughes wouldn't be able to crack 50 points being slightly older and trusted into a 2C role right away with better linemates.

Now the reality is that Hughes may crack 50 or 60, but he'll likely be heavily deficient defensively. Good thing they have Hischier on the first line so Hughes' deployment will likely be north of 60% starts in the O-zone.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Nico put up 52 his rookie year, I expect Hughes to be over that

While Hughes is the better offensive talent Nico also had the benefit of playing with Hall and they meshed absolutely perfectly. I too expect Hughes to be over but I don't think it's a lock

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think he (and Kakko) have a good shot of getting over 60 if league scoring stays similar to last year. Last years scoring was among the highest its been league-wide. Just look at the number of people who broke 100 and 90 last year, compared to the previous 10 years.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017

He is the same level of prospect as those two so I dont see why he cant - plus he will have a great supporting cast in the top-6

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
A fair "comparable" would be another C who made his debut last year in Kotkaniemi (who is 10 months older than Hughes).

If KK was able to put up 34 pts on a 3rd line without elite/top-end talent next to him, I can't see how Hughes wouldn't be able to crack 50 points being slightly older and trusted into a 2C role right away with better linemates.

Now the reality is that Hughes may crack 50 or 60, but he'll likely be heavily deficient defensively. Good thing they have Hischier on the first line so Hughes' deployment will likely be north of 60% starts in the O-zone.
Jack wont be 19 until the end of the regular season, hes super young for his draft class

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
It'll be interesting to see if he plays with Gusev (or who he does play with). I hope he kills it this year but I think it will take a few years for his game to adapt

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Jack wont be 19 until the end of the regular season, hes super young for his draft class

I know, thus why I made the comparison with Kotkaniemi. KK came into the league at a younger age than Hughes since he's a July kid. He'll likely still be in the top 5 of youngest players in the league this upcoming year whilst entering his second pro year.

The added development months and better linemates for Hughes will for sure ensure he reaches higher than 50 IMO. (Unless he turns out the way Nolan Patrick did.)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I know, thus why I made the comparison with Kotkaniemi. KK came into the league at a younger age than Hughes since he's a July kid. He'll likely still be in the top 5 of youngest players in the league this upcoming year whilst entering his second pro year.

The added development months and better linemates for Hughes will for sure ensure he reaches higher than 50 IMO. (Unless he turns out the way Nolan Patrick did.)
Plus he is a much better prospect

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if he plays with Gusev (or who he does play with). I hope he kills it this year but I think it will take a few years for his game to adapt
Odds he plays with Hall are pretty low - both command the ice and progress with he puck on their stick. Gusev will be with Jack and Hall will stick with Nico who he has loved playing with - hes said their styles mesh really well

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Odds he plays with Hall are pretty low - both command the ice and progress with he puck on their stick. Gusev will be with Jack and Hall will stick with Nico who he has loved playing with - hes said their styles mesh really well
I thought they might try out a triple-H line once he gets his bearings in the league but yeah I suspect it will be him and Gusev, which should be fun. Whose the third guy on that line? Simmonds?? :D

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Plus he is a much better prospect
Offensively for sure Hughes * should * be leaps and bounds beyond KK.

Time will tell though, Hughes could turn into a 50-60 pts guy (like RNH) and be a perrenial minus player when on the ice whereas KK could turn out as a two-way beast putting up 70+ pts. Hughes could also bust, or he could become a PPG guy. We will have to wait and see.

Nobody knows with these prospects, we'll know better in 4-5 years.

Reactions: OTBHockey

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Im expecting a 50ish point season from Hughes, which shouldnt be too bad for a player who just turned 18 and is the first player to jump straight from the USHL to the NHL.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I thought they might try out a triple-H line once he gets his bearings in the league but yeah I suspect it will be him and Gusev, which should be fun. Whose the third guy on that line? Simmonds?? :D
Kyle Palmieri. Jesper Bratt playe top right as e has chemistry with Hischier

Reactions: OTBHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad