C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
320 back squat for a hockey player is not super impressive but its not bad, I said I misread that it was a front squat and the clean and jerk number as well as pullups is impressive for his age considering he is growing. What more do you want for me, to call him a freak of nature? Because I won't do that.
I don't want anything from you. I was just stating it's clear you don't know what you are talking about.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
320 back squat for a hockey player is not super impressive but its not bad, I said I misread that it was a front squat and the clean and jerk number as well as pullups is impressive for his age considering he is growing. What more do you want for me, to call him a freak of nature? Because I won't do that.

a 320 pound squat 2 days after turning 18 is impressive...

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

A 320 pound back squat is pretty impressive for a kid who isn't draft eligible. So even if you "misread" that its still good. 25 pull-ups is also impressive

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Those numbers are off the charts for a hockey player his age. But doesn't that actually lower his upside? It means he should be able to jump into the NHL and be effective immediately, but other prospects have a lot more room to improve their strength and catch up to him. To me this only further solidifies that McDavid will end up being the better player.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Those numbers are off the charts for a hockey player his age. But doesn't that actually lower his upside? It means he should be able to jump into the NHL and be effective immediately, but other prospects have a lot more room to improve their strength and catch up to him. To me this only further solidifies that McDavid will end up being the better player.

I certainly think it makes McDavid look an additional smidge more promising than Eichel, but I think that's about the extent of it. A (lower end) example we could compare to would be Landeskog and RNH in 2011: Lando was considered physically NHL ready, and was pretty much man-sized already compared to wee RNH, but looking at them now, it certainly doesn't appear that Landeskog's size indicated that his upside was particularly low in comparison.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

So now we're penalizing a player for what someone else could hypothetically do? Who is to say McDavid even has the capacity to get as strong as Eichel is now? Even if he does, what does that prove with the talent gap being so small between the two?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
A 320 pound back squat is pretty impressive for a kid who isn't draft eligible. So even if you "misread" that its still good. 25 pull-ups is also impressive

I didn't say its not impressive but I know many 18 year hockey players who can do the same if we're talking back squat, I assume Eichel can do around 4 plates if his front squat is that strong. This would make him ahead of his age easily.So really the only thing I was saying wasn't off the charts was the squat which I misread so forgive me. The 25 pullups is great, don't know many pros who can do that.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
So now we're penalizing a player for what someone else could hypothetically do? Who is to say McDavid even has the capacity to get as strong as Eichel is now? Even if he does, what does that prove with the talent gap being so small between the two?

So small?

The only people making this out to be a close #1/#2 race are Americans.

Anyways, don't wanna derail the thread.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So small?

No if you watched Eichel play you'd know his talent level isn't far from McDavid's and he deserves to be in the conversation for first overall, but McDavid is still ahead atm.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
So small?

I think McDavid is going to be number one, and should be in my opinion. But I think its hilarious that somehow Eichel's strength is a point for Mc David. You're trying too hard.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Eiichel is an absolute brute, would love to have him with the flames but I doubt it happens. This guy is a bull on skates, fits the mild we are trying to aquire. On top of that he's a righty( right shot ) dire need in this organization.

Gaudreau - Bennett- Eichel would be an amazing future first line.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
Those numbers are below average if they are for one rep but pretty normal I guess for an 18 year old. Would have expected a bit more for an NTDP alumni but he's likely still growing.

WHAT?! Those numbers are pretty normal for an 18 year old?! 99% of eighteen year olds could not lift that much for one rep. Hell, most grown men couldn't even come close to those numbers - You definitely couldn't unless you work out regularly. Some grown men who have been working out consistently for 1-2 years still probably couldn't reach those numbers. 25 wide-grip pull-ups is actually insane for someone who weighs 195 pounds - I really wouldn't believe he did that unless I saw it with my own eyes.

EDIT: I see you misread the original quote. So, my apologies. Anyways though, anyone who is not impressed by those weights/reps is a joker. I'd guess that 90%+ of adult males can't even dream of touching those weights.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Eiichel is an absolute brute, would love to have him with the flames but I doubt it happens. This guy is a bull on skates, fits the mild we are trying to aquire. On top of that he's a righty( right shot ) dire need in this organization.

Gaudreau - Bennett- Eichel would be an amazing future first line.

might be a decent PP alignment, but Eichel will be Number 1 center dropping Bennett down to the 2nd center role, which, if Bennett meets expectations, is a pretty hefty 1-2 punch down the middle.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
might be a decent PP alignment, but Eichel will be Number 1 center dropping Bennett down to the 2nd center role, which, if Bennett meets expectations, is a pretty hefty 1-2 punch down the middle.

One would have to be forced to the wing. Monny I believe is the future 2c and I doubt anyone takes his place. I placed Eichel on the right side because it is a dire need of the Flames and I believe he has played some wing before. Bennett just as well could be switched to wing as he too has played in that position before.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
One would have to be forced to the wing. Monny I believe is the future 2c and I doubt anyone takes his place. I placed Eichel on the right side because it is a dire need of the Flames and I believe he has played some wing before. Bennett just as well could be switched to wing as he too has played in that position before.

right, I forgot about Monahan. I'd keep Eichel at center and find or convert somebody else to RW. Big play making scoring center. infinitely more valuable than a scoring winger.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks for the links. Excited to check him out tonight, haven't seen him play at BU yet other than highlights.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Free live stream of tonight's BU-Providence game. Eichel, Greer, Gillies, Jankowski, etc. 7 p.m. puck drop.
http://www.coxhub.com/pc-hockey-versus-boston-university-live-halloween-night-at-7pm

Providence Journal story on Eichel
http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...-freshman-eichel-will-be-a-treat-to-watch.ece
Oh cool.

And a reminder, next Friday NBCSN will broadcast Boston University vs. Boston College. Eichel against Hanifin (and 2 Panther's prospects I might add :)).

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Eichel makes the NCAA look like pick up hockey, it's crazy how effortless his stride is and how efficiently he plays the game. Looks like he could play 30 minutes a night out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad