C Henrik Borgström - HIFK, Liiga (2016, 23rd, FLA; traded to CHI)

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Performing in NCAA is one thing! He had only 3 assists in 16 gp last season playing with Finland U20 team, 0 p in the Wjc(6 gp).

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
no issue with him at center and running Barkov-Trocheck-Borgstrom down the middle. but he plays well off the right side it seems so they may try him with Huberdeau-Barkov

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
Does anybody have a scouting report on him THIS year? I know he's super skilled and has a lanky body, but I'm wondering what else he does well, I don't watch NCAA hockey at all do any feedback would be nice!

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
He's an absolute elite 200 ft player. Big, can / will get stronger with age, skates very well, elite vision, puck skills and accuracy on shot. He processes the game at a very good level.
i think you'll see in before season ends with Panthers as their 2c.
Imo, should have easily made Finn Olympic team

Reactions: Ippenator

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Performing in NCAA is one thing! He had only 3 assists in 16 gp last season playing with Finland U20 team, 0 p in the Wjc(6 gp).
Yeah, 6 games in tire fire of a WJC team is definitely a better indication of his potential than performances in 60 games of high quality NCAA hockey.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He's an absolute elite 200 ft player. Big, can / will get stronger with age, skates very well, elite vision, puck skills and accuracy on shot. He processes the game at a very good level.
I haven't seen the NCAA games so I haven't seen him play in a while, but when I last saw him he was far from a 200 ft player. In fact, he has been pretty weak defensively whenever I have seen him. I hope you are correct in your assessment and that he has made improvements in that aspect of his game.

Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Trocheck has that spot locked up.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I haven't seen the NCAA games so I haven't seen him play in a while, but when I last saw him he was far from a 200 ft player. In fact, he has been pretty weak defensively whenever I have seen him. I hope you are correct in your assessment and that he has made improvements in that aspect of his game.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't call him "elite" in that regard either.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Who cares.
Keep dreaming homer!
Yeah, 6 games in tire fire of a WJC team is definitely a better indication of his potential than performances in 60 games of high quality NCAA hockey.

16 games with u20 finland last season is a good indication! He doesnt perform against the best in his age, 3 assist in 16 games, thats facts!

He has the size and skill but he sure isnt a safe Nhl card as people will make him into! How many Nhl players comes true NCAA?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Why does it always go full circle with Finnish prospects? They go from underrated to overrated to busts. Maybe wait until they actually get to play in the NHL and grow up?

Not even just Finnish prospects, all prospects, really.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So he is a bust because of national team games after he has had a great season..

its the HFboards way my friend hahah

either way he seems to be progressing better than anyone could have imagined and is one of the best players in the NCAA. IMO he seems to be turning into a extremely good prospect

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Keep dreaming homer!

16 games with u20 finland last season is a good indication! He doesnt perform against the best in his age, 3 assist in 16 games, thats facts!

He has the size and skill but he sure isnt a safe Nhl card as people will make him into! How many Nhl players comes true NCAA?
:laugh:

Ohh ok, you're serious. I thought you were joking, now it's even funnier.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
:laugh:

Ohh ok, you're serious. I thought you were joking, now it's even funnier.

Its okay to be a biased fanboy of a prospect, but discussing a prospect leads to questions, in his case a big ? of his U20 performances. Its a good indication if you can stick out when playing against the best in the class!

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Its okay to be a biased fanboy of a prospect, but discussing a prospect leads to questions, in his case a big ? of his U20 performances. Its a good indication if you can stick out when playing against the best in the class!
Everyone who disagrees with you so far is a "biased fanboy".

First of all...no it's not. There are many players who didn't stand out over a 5-7 game stretch who turned out to be great players. There are many players who stood out over 5-7 game stretches and didn't turn into great players. Which leads me to the real point...

You're literally judging him over a 6 game stretch, plus 10 friendly matches that no one cares about. I mean no one, ask National Team athletes themselves if they give a damn who scores in friendly matches. We have 3 seasons of data but you're clinging to these 6 games and then have the audacity to call other people fanboys. That is just absurd?

Discussing prospects should lead to reasonable questions. This type of question is fitting only for those commenters who used to go to the Leafs board after Matthews goes scoreless 2 games in a row and start asking if he's a bust already.

Last edited:

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Keep dreaming homer!

And performing great against peers =/= a surefire NHLer. There are lots of examples, but from my "finnish homer perspective" I give you Teemu Pulkkinen. Nothing is guaranteed, but Borgström surely has great tools to become an effective NHLer. You offer nothing to this discussion except your obvious hate for Borgström.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
And performing great against peers =/= a surefire NHLer. There are lots of examples, but from my "finnish homer perspective" I give you Teemu Pulkkinen. Nothing is guaranteed, but Borgström surely has great tools to become an effective NHLer. You offer nothing to this discussion except your obvious hate for Borgström.
Aleksi Saarela also had great U20. Not in the NHL. Dubois sucked and he's in the NHL. Rantanen had a weak tourney and he's PPG in the NHL. U20 is great for the draft eligible to rise in rankings, other than that i would seriously not put much weight on that tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Everyone who disagrees with you so far is a "biased fanboy".

First of all...no it's not. There are many players who didn't stand out over a 5-7 game stretch who turned out to be great players. There are many players who stood out over 5-7 game stretches and didn't turn into great players. Which leads me to the real point...

You're literally judging him over a 6 game stretch, plus 10 friendly matches that no one cares about. I mean no one, ask National Team athletes themselves if they give a damn who scores in friendly matches. We have 3 seasons of data but you're clinging to these 6 games and then have the audacity to call other people fanboys. What about you're just absurd?

Discussing prospects should lead to reasonable questions. This type of question is fitting only for those commenters who used to go to the Leafs board after Matthews goes scoreless 2 games in a row and start asking if he's a bust already.

Yes you are biased if you dismiss 16 games with Finland u20! Nothing wrong to be a fan of a prospect and coming from the same country as i can see in other posts about Borgstrom.

Have only seen the highligts you tube clips and that was entertaining. So are Omark and shremps highlights! Saw also 4 games from the disaster U20 wJC 2017,didnt noticed him at all.

He has never played in a mens leuage and that dangle stuff wont work there, he also seems to not work enough away from the puck and his defensive side needs a big boost.

Sure he will have his chances because hes big and have some skills. How it turns out is a big ? But so far he hasnt done anything in a mens leuage, we haave to wait and see if he can make a splash in Ahl next season.

I rest my case a couple of year!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lowlife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad