C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
The trick is he pulls it off so quickly that they can't properly position for it. As a goalie, you have to respect the backhand if he moves it there, or else you're leaving a wide open side and if he shoots it there, you look like an idiot. So even if you know its coming, you can't really prepare for it.

I was going through this whole thread, and some highlights from his previous year. One one goal, he did his patented move, but instead of finishing on the forehand, he brought it back and finished on the backhand.

I know, not mind bending stuff, but it shows he can change on the fly. It's amazing how the puck looks like it's glued to his stick!

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Must say, he's been very mediocre in the WJSS. Two biggest knocks to me are that he gets knocked down and out muscled very easily, and doesn't have game breaking speed.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Not writing him off by any means, be he really hasn't stood out at all to me either.

He got pushed around at times while trying to make plays but I can see why he went 5th overall --his hands and IQ are very, very good. If you add 20pds to him (2 years) it makes him a very interesting prospect whereas adding 20pds to other top 10 picks doesn't make them improve as dramatically. He reminds me of Kyle Turris (frame + skill) at the same age.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Agree with this post. Very unimpressed so far and this is against junior players.

Can't really disagree. Even when he isn't making clear mistakes he's just completely invisible and doesn't get anything done. And the skating hasn't been spectacular. I also feel like he's chasing the play a lot. And this chasing is at a junior level, not somewhere where it'd be understandable like the NHL.

He got pushed around at times while trying to make plays but I can see why he went 5th overall --his hands and IQ are very, very good. If you add 20pds to him (2 years) it makes him a very interesting prospect whereas adding 20pds to other top 10 picks doesn't make them improve as dramatically. He reminds me of Kyle Turris (frame + skill) at the same age.

Actually, while the hands are good, I question his IQ after watching these.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

It's always gotta be this way eh?

If people aren't blowing smoke profusely up a player's ass (Possession God!! Elite zone entries!!!) then the only other thing they can be saying is that he's a bust and a terrible pick.

Truth is Pettersson hasn't been all that impressive in any of the games. Maybe he'll be better in future games but we can only comment on what we are seeing now.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I dont even know why he was playing after hurting his hip in game 1. Hopefully it does not effect his off ice workouts.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He will learn alot playing SHL and should bulk up. He may be a project though.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
If only he was picked by anyone other than the Canucks chances of success would be 99 %. :sarcasm:

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
I don't know why the coach kept playing him, he's clearly injured. He was noticeably less agile out there, must be a bruised hip. Should be in the gym, like Juolevi, working out and adding some weight. I like how everyone is calling him a bust after he only had 2 assists in 4 games in a friendly tournament lol. He didn't all of a sudden lose all of his skill over the summer, he's still a very talented player. But obviously you have these internet scouts with their tremendous analysis on 18 year old kids calling them "busts" before the season has even started. lol.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
A lot of his highlights seem to be him just showing off slick hands on a breakaway or an odd man rush, which is good, but what about his ability to create scoring chances in the offensive zone consistently?

Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him, but playing in the NHL is more than making a having slick hands.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If only he was picked by anyone other than the Canucks chances of success would be 99 %. :sarcasm:

Unlikely this thread would have been bumped if he was draft d by another team. BUmped a user of a fan base that is very familiar with being critical about what the Canucks players do, and focusing mainly on negatives, meanwhile ignoring how well gadjovichs been doing for team Canada.

I agree, based on this short tourney, he's going to "bust" hard. Yes he's a bust guys.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Only saw 2 of his 4(?) games. Pretty invisible performance for a Top 5 pick and the "most skilled guy" on Team Sweden.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Won't put too much stock in the WJSS but I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit disappointed in his play. He just needs to put in some time in the gym and work on his lower body

Andersson looked like the best Swedish forward all tourney- but he is more physically mature (and his game is more well-rounded right now as well). Pettersson is more of a project by comparison (and as such, has a lot more upside).

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Stick a fork in him; he's done. Summer tournaments like these are usually the best barometer of future NHL success and it's clearly evident he's going to crash and burn. Eventually, Vancouver fans should just come to there senses and realize this, without having to let all of the Leafs fans in this thread point it out to them. :sarcasm:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He was playing with a hitch in his gitalong. He probably shouldn't have been playing in the tournament from a Canucks perspective but they chose not to sign him so they don't control the situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad