C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Birth year is objectively the correct way to compare prospects.

Two kids are born - one on September 14 and one on September 15 of 1999. Since they were both born in the same year, they go to school in the same grade and they play on a hockey team with other kids born in the same year, and will graduate high school in the same year.

The kid born on September 14 will be drafted in 2017
The kid born on September 15 will be drafted in 2018

The argument you seem to be making is that the kid born on September 15, 1999 should be compared to 2000-born players, since he's drafted in 2018 because of an arbitrary cut-off, while the kid born on September 14, 1999 should be compared to 1999-born players, since he's drafted in 2017.

Compare players by their birth year and you compare them with their peers. Compare players by draft year and you risk comparing apples to oranges - or more accurately, a redder and riper apple to a sour and undeveloped apple.

Good players tend to player with older players, Pettersson has played this season against 30+ players, so no it is not at all like all 98 born always plays with other 98 born players and 99s players only with other 99 born players. It do not matter if they are born 14 sep, 15 sep, 31dec, 1jan, they play the level their current skills allow them to play at. So what team they will play for will most likely be deterimed by how good they are not what day they are born at.

Remember the season do not start at 1 jan. It may not start or end at 15 sep either, but is alot closer than 1 jan is, that is in the middle of the season, and while any date is a arbitrary cut-off no matter where you draw it (now they have made it the 14 sep, it would have been arbitrary cut-off, if they would have draw it at 31 dec also), but I would argue that the real hockey year and therefore the real development year starts when the season or pre season starts, not a random day in the middle of the season.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Good players tend to player with older players, Pettersson has played this season against 30+ players, so no it is not at all like all 98 born always plays with other 98 born players and 99s players only with other 99 born players. It do not matter if they are born 14 sep, 15 sep, 31dec, 1jan, they play the level their current skills allow them to play at. So what team they will play for will most likely be deterimed by how good they are not what day they are born at.

Remember the season do not start at 1 jan. It may not start or end at 15 sep either, but is alot closer than 1 jan is, that is in the middle of the season, and while any date is a arbitrary cut-off no matter where you draw it (now they have made it the 14 sep, it would have been arbitrary cut-off, if they would have draw it at 31 dec also), but I would argue that the real hockey year and therefore the real development year starts when the season or pre season starts, not a random day in the middle of the season.

Dont bother, Ive told him 3-4 times already, he keps ignoring it because it doesnt fit in to his agenda.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Dont bother, Ive told him 3-4 times already, he keps ignoring it because it doesnt fit in to his agenda.

It's weird. In the Pettersson thread we've got bitter rivals such as oilers, flames, and leafs fans telling us what a great pick Pettersson is, and then we got this Sens fan who's super salty and has dedicated so much time to putting him down.

????

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
It's weird. In the Pettersson thread we've got bitter rivals such as oilers, flames, and leafs fans telling us what a great pick Pettersson is, and then we got this Sens fan who's super salty and has dedicated so much time to putting him down.

????

Dont bother with him. Hes been anti-Canuck ever since he joined. Lives in Kelowna iirc.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If you want to compare Pettersson's 18YR old season to other 18YR olds in the Allsvenskan, that comparison is as follows:

Berglund: 35GP-21G-27A-48P
Karlsson: 46GP-12G-33A-45P
Pettersson: 43GP-19G-22A-41P
Forsberg: 38GP-15G-18A-33P
Wennberg: 46GP-14G-18A-32P
Dahlen: 51GP-15G-14A-29P
Ekman-Larsson: 42GP-9G-17A-28P
Boqvist: 19GP-3G-9A-12P

Pastrnak, Nylander, Burakovsky and didn't play in the Allsvenskan as 18YR olds.

Pettersson's 18YR old production was extremely impressive compared to other 18YR olds who played in the Allsvenskan. One doesn't need to compare his 18YR old production to the production of 17YR olds to emphasize how impressive his season was statistically in 2016/17.

If you are judging by age you realize you are still doing it wrong right? You should judge by absolute age, meaning from when each player actually turned a certain age, and should span two actual hockey seasons... but my guess is that also wouldn't help your case.

I haven't looked into but maybe one played in the league at an earlier age?

I would also actually look into progression as that says a lot about how much r prospect is learning... and I would watch him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They played the same amount years of bantam/midget. Pettersson got an extra season in the Allsvenskan to show his stuff, which probably saved him from going mid-late 1st round in 2016, had he been born a bit earlier.

Pasternak played 11 games in the Allsvenskan in his 16YR old season. You think that means his 17YR old season should be compared with Pettersson's 18YR old season?

Stop comparing European league-structures to North America

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Would've been first overall if he were 100% NHL ready. He'll be ready in 1-3 seasons and has strong potential to win rookie of the year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This kid is so silky smooth. Elite skill + elite IQ. He should be a good one, rewatched some of his highlights again.

Nucks fans are you guys sending him back to Europe or will he get AHL time?

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
This kid is so silky smooth. Elite skill + elite IQ. He should be a good one, rewatched some of his highlights again.

Nothing's been confirmed as of yet but the initial speculation is that he'll be returning to Vaxjo for at least 1 more season.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I could see him maybe putting up 90 points total in his career but definitely not in a season

Love

Feb 29, 2012

He'll be in the SHL this season.

Nothing's been confirmed as of yet but the initial speculation is that he'll be returning to Vaxjo for at least 1 more season.

He didn't play for Vaxjo or in the SHL at all last season. He will be in Vaxjo this season in what will be his rookie season in the SHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Solid first movie but the sequels just seem like more of the same. 4/10 for the entire trilogy.

giphy.gif

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

He only played for Timrå in recent years, in the SE and Allsvenskan. He is moving to Växjö this summer

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Sorry, should have been more clear, I was referring to 90points man. I liked your comment :laugh:

Ah I wasn't offended. I've got two young kids and they would've emphatically agreed that I tell the worst dad jokes

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Anyone notice that Pettersson tends to use a very similar move every time he goes to the net? See his shootout or 1:1 goals and a lot of them look the same. Hopefully he gets a few more moves or else goalies will read him easily.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Anyone notice that Pettersson tends to use a very similar move every time he goes to the net? See his shootout or 1:1 goals and a lot of them look the same. Hopefully he gets a few more moves or else goalies will read him easily.

The trick is he pulls it off so quickly that they can't properly position for it. As a goalie, you have to respect the backhand if he moves it there, or else you're leaving a wide open side and if he shoots it there, you look like an idiot. So even if you know its coming, you can't really prepare for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad