C Elias Pettersson - Timra IK, Allsvenskan (2017, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
My post was about Canucks fans overrating their prospects. The success of those prospects is directly tied into proving whether they were overrated or not. If their highly hyped prospects ended up becoming good players, it would provide justification for the hype. The track record shows that such hyped Canucks prospects over the years have almost all failed miserably.

Thinking that Sens prospects will end up turning into great players isn't unrealistic when their scouting staff has proven to be able to produce NHLers from all rounds in the draft. Thinking that Canucks prospects will do the same, when they've proven to be one of the worst teams in the league at drafting and developing prospects is foolish, which is exactly what my original post was pointing out.

It was you who created a strawman argument. As if somehow cherring picking my posts from 5+ years ago disproves my argument that Canucks fans generally tend to vastly overrated their prospects' potential.

Puempel has a 1-way contract. Noesen played exclusively in the NHL as a Devil. Both put up good numbers in limited roles. What about them makes you think they aren't NHLers going forward?

I think I might have missed Connauton, another prospect hyped by Canucks fans as a steal that hasn't turned into anything special, but if Puempel and Noesen are to be removed from the list, so should Gaunce and Forsling, who haven't done a whole lot at the NHL level either. That would leave only 4 NHL players produced by the Canucks in a decade. Talk about failure.

From my experience - no fanbase hypes their prospects like Vancouver. Maybe their fans are a bit more vocal, more numerous or more passionate than most. Whatever the reason, Canucks prospect tend to be overrated on HF.

The difference between Pettersson and Rundblad is that Rundblad actually did something after being drafted to deserve massive hype. Kid had 50P in 55GP in the SHL a couple years after being drafted. Won the Swedish Norris trophy as a 20YR old.

Pettersson has impressed in a couple prospect scrimmages. It's far too early to consider him a steal, especially considering most reputable scouts considered him a reach at 5.

Your quotes weren't pointed out to refute whether prospects can be overhyped by the Canucks. It was for the sake of showing no one is infallible and for you to come down from whatever pedestal you stand on. That's not a strawman. And yet somehow you still want to paint the entire fan base with one brush. If you don't see the fallacy in that, then don't bother responding to this post.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
My post was about Canucks fans overrating their prospects. The success of those prospects is directly tied into proving whether they were overrated or not. If their highly hyped prospects ended up becoming good players, it would provide justification for the hype. The track record shows that such hyped Canucks prospects over the years have almost all failed miserably.

Thinking that Sens prospects will end up turning into great players isn't unrealistic when their scouting staff has proven to be able to produce NHLers from all rounds in the draft. Thinking that Canucks prospects will do the same, when they've proven to be one of the worst teams in the league at drafting and developing prospects is foolish, which is exactly what my original post was pointing out.

It was you who created a strawman argument. As if somehow cherring picking my posts from 5+ years ago disproves my argument that Canucks fans generally tend to vastly overrated their prospects' potential.

Puempel has a 1-way contract. Noesen played exclusively in the NHL as a Devil. Both put up good numbers in limited roles. What about them makes you think they aren't NHLers going forward?

I think I might have missed Connauton, another prospect hyped by Canucks fans as a steal that hasn't turned into anything special, but if Puempel and Noesen are to be removed from the list, so should Gaunce and Forsling, who haven't done a whole lot at the NHL level either. That would leave only 4 NHL players produced by the Canucks in a decade. Talk about failure.

From my experience - no fanbase hypes their prospects like Vancouver. Maybe their fans are a bit more vocal, more numerous or more passionate than most. Whatever the reason, Canucks prospect tend to be overrated on HF.

The difference between Pettersson and Rundblad is that Rundblad actually did something after being drafted to deserve massive hype. Kid had 50P in 55GP in the SHL a couple years after being drafted. Won the Swedish Norris trophy as a 20YR old.

Pettersson has impressed in a couple prospect scrimmages. It's far too early to consider him a steal, especially considering most reputable scouts considered him a reach at 5.

A lot of words but all I see is the salt

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
So GM's picked other guys above him for fear that he could not gain weight?

And only 1 out of 12 of these rankings even had him in the top 5...at #5.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings

Hopefully he pans out as it will help take the sting away from Virtanen.

It was said if Pettersson weighed more he could go 1st overall, but some scouts believed he won't reach the weight needed and that's why he was all over the map. Pettersson is far from a sure thing but he has a lot of skill, that's undeniable and his hands are dirty! But if he doesn't add the weight needed he might not have the strength to play that skilled game in the NHL, he's easy to knock off the puck right now. Pettersson in away is kinda like Virtanen, boom bust type. I like the pick and Canucks need that potential high end 1st line potential star player, which he does have potential to be.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

If you think Canucks fans are the worst, I really wouldn't go into any of the Toronto prospects threads if I were you.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I have no idea what you just you wrote at the end, but you are on a discussion forum you do realize that, where people discuss things people post. Anytime you reply to someone I could ask you what do you care what they think? I dont know maybe the very small chance he has a legitimate reason for the comparison.

This thread is turning into a mess already either way, was much better pre draft.

Prior to draft:
"Pettersson is an elite talent"

After drafted by Canucks:
LOL BUST

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Dude, quit while you're behind.
You've already been shown to massively overate Ottawa prospects by your own posts. You're just digging a deeper hole now pointing the finger at other fans who at a minimum are no worse than you.
I can still recall the Lazar vs. Horvat polls where Sens fans were convinced they had drafted the next elite shutdown player.
You guys had a great run this year but I wouldn't count on a repeat. A playoff bubble team with a superstar on defense and some good supporting players.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Sayin hes a steal is some serious homerism. Nothing close to a steal at 5th overall, it was a reach if anything. Great prospect if he can put it together, but will be nowhere near Hischier, and likely not Patrick either.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Sayin hes a steal is some serious homerism. Nothing close to a steal at 5th overall, it was a reach if anything. Great prospect if he can put it together, but will be nowhere near Hischier, and likely not Patrick either.

Yeah, just like William Nylander or David Pastrnak (!) would be nowhere near Sam Bennett or Reinhart....Different tiers bla bla

It's very likely someone not drafted in the top 5 becomes the best player from this draft.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, just like William Nylander or David Pastrnak (!) would be nowhere near Sam Bennett or Reinhart....Different tiers bla bla

It's very likely someone not drafted in the top 5 becomes the best player from this draft.

Cool, guess that rules petterson out then. /thread

lawrence

May 19, 2012
1 guy thinks hes a 90 point player = all canucks fans overrating him.

Sayin hes a steal is some serious homerism.

100% agreed and if anything a number 5 pick have higher expectations.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
One of my favourite players from this draft and probably the most skilled. I have Patrick as the best prospect, then Pettersson and Nico basically tied. Everyone else is a tier below IMO.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
1 guy thinks hes a 90 point player = all canucks fans overrating him.

100% agreed and if anything a number 5 pick have higher expectations.

I think that one guy just said he has 90-point potential, which is vastly different from saying he's a 90-point player.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
These threads always go to hell after a player gets drafted by a relatively big market team. A few homers make outlandish comments, then others show up just to refute these obviously homerish posts. So some kid thinks he has 90 point potential. Who cares? Move on. Let it go.

Its funny how the legitimate posts discussing his play are ignored while rival fans zero in on homer posts.

mod edit: next thread here http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=134661113#post134661113

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad