C Dylan Strome - Erie Otters, OHL (2015, 3rd, ARZ) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveyBumbles

Dec 31, 2016
Strome is a clear bust. All his prior accomplishments mean nothing now after this last WJC. In all seriousness, yes I was extremely disappointed in Stromes play in this years WJC, but Strome also made a lot of nice plays that went unrecognized. I'm am not going to write off Strome based on 1 short tournament. This WJC proved everything we thought about stroke was correct when we drafted him. Strome is a project who needs to get stronger and work on leg strength more then anything. I don't think he is a bad skater like eveyone else thinks, he just lacks the burst and tenacity in his acceleration.

I can't tell if you are being ironic or serious.

To declare him a bust at 19 is assinine tho.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
He isn't as good as Marner since that seems to be the big point most want to make, but he is going to make a lot of HF posters look like the hockey forum level talent evaluators that they are.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If things go well he's Jason Spezza. If they go okay he's Robert Lang. If they go poorly he's Tim Connolly.
There's zero chance he's Spezza IMO. I like the Lang comparison a lot more, but Lang was quite a good player, I think that's closer to his upside than "things going okay."

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There's zero chance he's Spezza IMO. I like the Lang comparison a lot more, but Lang was quite a good player, I think that's closer to his upside than "things going okay."

His upside is higher than Robert Lang. More like Kopitar. I think it will take 2 more seasons before he establishes himself as an nhl regular though.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Lang was a good player for sure. Might be the most apt comparison too.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Strome did not stand out at all. All I have seen is a good shot and waiting for others to set him up to use it. There were atleast 6 or 7 Canadian forwards that stood out more from the games I saw, a guy who was taken 3rd overall in his draft +2 year should be dominating.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
His upside is higher than Robert Lang. More like Kopitar. I think it will take 2 more seasons before he establishes himself as an nhl regular though.
Zero chance he's as good as Kopitar either. Kopitar has often been an elite NHLer, one of the better centres in the league. I think Strome will be a solid NHLer, but if you think he has a shot to be elite, you're setting yourself up for disappointment IMO.

Re: Kopitar specifically, Strome will never be remotely close to him in terms of defensive play, puck battles and puck possession. Kopitar is elite in these areas, Strome is "meh." I also do not see the same level of offensive talent at all. Kopitar in his draft+2 season put up 61 points in 72 games in the NHL, Strome put up 1 point in 7 games before being sent down, and looked totally out of his element. The talent level isn't close to the same.

Same with Strome vs Spezza, Spezza was light years ahead at the same age. Kopitar and Spezza have both been among the best centres in the league at various points in their careers, a more reasonable upside for Strome IMO is a solid 2C.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Same with Strome vs Spezza, Spezza was light years ahead at the same age.

That's not relevant to anything. Progression isn't linear. Thornton put up 7 points his first NHL year. Look at Duncan Keith at 19. Rielly was better than him, probably won't be better than him at 30. Strome still has 1C potential. He's only 19 and has talent.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
That's not relevant to anything. Progression isn't linear. Thornton put up 7 points his first NHL year. Look at Duncan Keith at 19. Rielly was better than him, probably won't be better than him at 30. Strome still has 1C potential. He's only 19 and has talent.
Yes.

There is a lot of not thinking in this thread. People who are paid to know hockey players think he is good. The rest of you don't.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Were people under opinion that Strome was a finished product when he was drafted or is the appropriate expectation that he would have filled out physically and improved his skating within the first 15 months of being drafted?

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
If things go well he's Jason Spezza. If they go okay he's Robert Lang. If they go poorly he's Tim Connolly.

Connolly was a fantastic player before his brain got scrambled against Ottawa in 2006. He was never the same player after that. If Strome turned into pre injury Connolly then Yotes fans would be very happy

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Strome didn't have the greatest tournament, but some of this stuff is ridiculous.

Before the tournament, he was probably over-rated - after the tournament, he's really under-rated.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Robert Lang was a 60-80 point player in the DPA. If the coyotes can get 60-80 out of Strome every year I think they would be pretty happy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Who else thinks he spends some time in the AHL next season?
Depends on how much his skating improves. One of the issues this year was Tippett not trusting having two rookie centers and was unwilling to move either Strome or Dvorak to the wing. Now that Dvorak will have a year of NHL experience, plus the likely loss of Hanzel it could open up a spot for him. Granted, Keller sees himself as a center and wants a gig, and there is a chance Patrick or Hischier will be competing for a spot.

Maybe he can make a Draisaitl like jump between his 19-year-old and 20-year-old season. Drai got 6 games in Bakersfield last year after a strong camp then was called up due to injury and hasn't looked back.

If he wants to be an NHLer he really needs to improve 3 things. Most important is his skating, particularly explosiveness. He needs to be stronger on the puck, he's a tall guy but can easily be separated from the puck (Compare that to guys like Matthews, Draisaitl and Eichel), and he needs to quicken the release on his shot. Those are all fixable, but lets see if he can do it. Some of his issues remind me a bit of the issues Sam Reinhart has face. Particularly the strength on the puck and skating issue. Reinhart is smarter, while Strome has the frame if he fills out to better compensate for the lack of speed.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Connolly was a fantastic player before his brain got scrambled against Ottawa in 2006. He was never the same player after that. If Strome turned into pre injury Connolly then Yotes fans would be very happy

In 169 games after the injury in Buffalo he had 152 points. Pretty much the best hockey of his career.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was thinking a bit of Petr Nedved stylistically when people brought up Robert Lang. Rangy kind of awkward mechanics, though Nedved was a better skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille