C Dylan Strome - Erie Otters, OHL (2015, 3rd, ARZ) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Well, he kind of was our 3rd line center last night. Both Barzal and Roy received more minutes than Strome, and Strome's line received the least amount of minutes in the 20 minute OT (actually, Strome received more ice time than only McLeod, Raddysh, Jost and Speers). So Ducharme obviously went to his line less last night as the game went on and it became apparent who his top guys were.

ya, he kinda was, that is true, but my idea wasn't of 2 'inferior' players out performing him and forcing the coach to allocate TOI accordingly. With all due respect to Roy, and he performed well, but when your 4th. line center outperforms your 1st. line center, that's a problem.

My idea was a true #1 center in the mold of McDavid
1C McDavid
2C _______ I leave it blank because that #2 center didn't emerge. I had hoped it would be Barzal. but he had his issues as well.
3C Strome
4C Stevens (on my roster I had Roy 4th. line RW.

I made my opinions clear on Strome from last summer all the way to December camp on how I thought things would play out. As far as Strome is concerned, that played exactly as I predicted it would, fortunately for Team Canada, that played out a bit better than I predicted. Pleased as punch to come within a snipe on a penalty shot/or save from a gold medal. Happy with a silver.

It is what it is, as they say. There's no Christmas turkey left. It's all done with...on to Buffalo we go.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I would trade Strome for Barzal if my team has him

Same with Dubois

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I think some of the flack is deserved but this seems more to just a misunderstanding of Strome's play style. For Strome's entire OHL career, he's succeeded because of his play away from the puck. There's nothing wrong with that. nki, a poster who extensively scouted and wrote incredibly detailed reports on 120 prospects in Strome's draft, and who stopped posting because he/she got hired in a professional capacity, noted this in Strome's writeup and even made a whole post about it. Strome's game is based on getting in good position (usually near the hashmarks and goal line; not on the point where he played a lot of minutes for Canada's PP) and making good decisions to move or advance the play when he receives the puck, not carry it in the zone.

I'd agree that he didn't make as many acute and incisive plays in this tourney that he's shown at the OHL level, but there also wasn't a lot of appreciation or understanding of what he brings to the table.

Great analysis there

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So despite virtually every professional scouting organization viewing Strome as a top prospect in all of hockey several posters on HF knew he would bust. I will just follow HF from now on. To heck with experts.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So despite virtually every professional scouting organization viewing Strome as a top prospect in all of hockey several posters on HF knew he would bust. I will just follow HF from now on. To heck with experts.

As a Leafs fan I had interest in Strome down the stretch but watched a lot of OHL hockey that season because I wanted to see who had more appeal...Marner or Strome? It was Marner between the 2.

I had Hanifin, Marner, then Strome. Strome as 1,2,3 for our pick at #4 in terms of who I wanted. Strome just didn't seem to have the intensity or the next gear.. In the play-offs when he could have made all the difference as a 2C behind McDavid and facing 2nd tier OHL coverage he didn't do much. The foot speed and almost always pulling his shot back for the velocity didn't seem like it would translate....but hey, I am legitimately some idiot on HFBoards, and he is not even 20 years old, they are still developing. A couple summers of working on his skating and learning he needs to get his shot off quicker may be all the difference in the world.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I think there are some legit experts on this site too though and it's not like scouts are never wrong. They're wrong a lot, just like the rest of us. Scouts or rather NHL organizations tend to fall in love with size too. Stromes production + size = very appealing combination to NHL teams. The kid is 19 and have plenty of time to develop into a fine player and make us all look like idiots, but right now (at least to me) it doesn't look like Strome has really improved on his weaknesses much, if at all, since his draft year and that's concerning. I see the same player I saw two years ago, and I saw plenty of him back then.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015

Strome is a clear bust. All his prior accomplishments mean nothing now after this last WJC. In all seriousness, yes I was extremely disappointed in Stromes play in this years WJC, but Strome also made a lot of nice plays that went unrecognized. I'm am not going to write off Strome based on 1 short tournament. This WJC proved everything we thought about stroke was correct when we drafted him. Strome is a project who needs to get stronger and work on leg strength more then anything. I don't think he is a bad skater like eveyone else thinks, he just lacks the burst and tenacity in his acceleration.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Scouting needs to change drastically. How could anyone who watched Marner and Strome in the OHL pick Strome? Coyotes ****ed up but I'd rather want to know what the thought process was. Was it size? Was it playing on a better team? Was it height? What was it that led Arizona to pick Strome. Whatever it was, they fixed their mistake by picking Clayton Kelller the next year.

Dylan Strome will have a career very similar to his brother IMO.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
ya, he kinda was, that is true, but my idea wasn't of 2 'inferior' players out performing him and forcing the coach to allocate TOI accordingly. With all due respect to Roy, and he performed well, but when your 4th. line center outperforms your 1st. line center, that's a problem.

My idea was a true #1 center in the mold of McDavid
1C McDavid
2C _______ I leave it blank because that #2 center didn't emerge. I had hoped it would be Barzal. but he had his issues as well.
3C Strome
4C Stevens (on my roster I had Roy 4th. line RW.

I made my opinions clear on Strome from last summer all the way to December camp on how I thought things would play out. As far as Strome is concerned, that played exactly as I predicted it would, fortunately for Team Canada, that played out a bit better than I predicted. Pleased as punch to come within a snipe on a penalty shot/or save from a gold medal. Happy with a silver.

It is what it is, as they say. There's no Christmas turkey left. It's all done with...on to Buffalo we go.

Nicolas Roy will be a better NHL player than Strome much better than you are projecting him too. Big players take longer, he has all the skills and talent to be an impact player in the NHL. Roy was Canada's best forward, draft position and projections aside he was a first overall in the Q for a reason. His puck protection and play in traffic was terrific all tournament.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My point is it is ridiculous how much Strome is being trashed as if ALL the experts are out to lunch. There have been comments that he has no NHL level skills. LOL.

He led Team Canada in scoring 2 years in a row. He was the best faceoff guy in the tournament (despite the claim that Cirelli can make the NHL on his faceoff prowess alone). He led the team in shots on goal. He was not the loser far too many posters here claimed.

To be clear, I do not think he was Canada's best player. The question marks about him - skating and intensity - were apparent. Yet he still led the team in scoring. I am not an unabashed supporter. I did not even want the Coyotes to draft him (I was concerned then about his skating for that high of pick - mind you I did not want Marner either because I worried his game would not necessarily translate to the NHL :amazed:). I wanted one of the three top D (Hanifin, Provorov or Werenski). But to write off his career with such bravaccio before it has even begun?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
My point is it is ridiculous how much Strome is being trashed as if ALL the experts are out to lunch. There have been comments that he has no NHL level skills. LOL.

He led Team Canada in scoring 2 years in a row. He was the best faceoff guy in the tournament (despite the claim that Cirelli can make the NHL on his faceoff prowess alone). He led the team in shots on goal. He was not the loser far too many posters here claimed.

To be clear, I do not think he was Canada's best player. The question marks about him - skating and intensity - were apparent. Yet he still led the team in scoring. I am not an unabashed supporter. I did not even want the Coyotes to draft him (I was concerned then about his skating for that high of pick - mind you I did not want Marner either because I worried his game would not necessarily translate to the NHL :amazed:). I wanted one of the three top D (Hanifin, Provorov or Werenski). But to write off his career with such bravaccio before it has even begun?

Writing him off completely is stupid indeed. I definitely think he'll still be an NHL player and a productive one at that. Don't see him as a game-breaker or a guy who will lead his team in the playoffs though.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Scouting needs to change drastically. How could anyone who watched Marner and Strome in the OHL pick Strome? Coyotes ****ed up but I'd rather want to know what the thought process was. Was it size? Was it playing on a better team? Was it height? What was it that led Arizona to pick Strome. Whatever it was, they fixed their mistake by picking Clayton Kelller the next year.

Different skills project differently. There are plenty of electrifying little guys who lit up the CHL but got pushed around too much to make a difference at the next level. There are also plenty of bigger guys who were able to impose their will on smaller CHL competition but couldn't keep up with the speed of the NHL when their size and strength was neutralized.

I had Strome ahead of Marner slightly going into the draft, for a few reasons. I thought Strome was more likely to be a center at the NHL level than Marner, and centers are more valuable. Legitimate top line centers are always harder to find than diminutive scoring wings (of which the Coyotes already have plenty, and which they could add more easily moving forward). I thought Marner's size and propensity for taking a hit made him more likely to suffer major injuries throughout his career. I didn't say then and wouldn't say now that Strome will definitely be the better player, but I still like his odds. He has his share of weaknesses still—footspeed, strength, quickness of shot release—but it all seems coachable to me. His hockey sense, vision, creativity and playmaking skills, however, make him an elite prospect.

Marner is obviously already an effective NHL player and looks to have a great career ahead of him, but if the Leafs offered him straight up for Strome, I'd probably still reject the deal (which is not to say the Leafs would offer or accept a deal like that anyway, of course). It's close, but I still have Strome with a slight edge.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
I still recall a select number of Coyotes fans who claimed there wasn't a big gap between Strome and Matthews and the only reason Auston is getting the hype is because he's going to Toronto.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I still recall a select number of Coyotes fans who claimed there wasn't a big gap between Strome and Matthews and the only reason Auston is getting the hype is because he's going to Toronto.
I don't remember that. I mostly remember them not liking him as an additional add-on to any trade involving OEL as Matthews as the basis.

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
I'll be very very curious to see how he does if he's in the NHL next year. It's almost unheard of for a player who scored like Storme has to go back to the OHL for his draft + 2 season. If they're dominating that much usually they can carve out some sort of role even if its just a 20-35 points third liner.

It makes me think it's just Tippets stubbornnes less than Strome being not ready. I don't know if there's any prospect who scored as much and went back for his draft + 2 year in junior.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't remember that. I mostly remember them not liking him as an additional add-on to any trade involving OEL as Matthews as the basis.

There was really just one Yote fan in particular that tried arguing Matthews/Strome weren't far apart at all. Not that it matters and not trying to derail the thread either, every fanbase has some people with diverse opinions

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I wonder if a position change is in order. I could see Strome as a new Dave Andreychuk, not a swift skater, but with size, hands and a deft scoring touch around the net.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008

I was surprised at the time of the draft that Arizona passed over Marner for Strome. They already had two prospects in Domi and Dvorak playing with Marner on the London Knights so you'd think their scouts saw plenty of Marner since he was 16 years old and they would know how good he was plus the chemistry factor. They still decided to pick Strome.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I was surprised at the time of the draft that Arizona passed over Marner for Strome. They already had two prospects in Domi and Dvorak playing with Marner on the London Knights so you'd think their scouts saw plenty of Marner since he was 16 years old and they would know how good he was plus the chemistry factor. They still decided to pick Strome.
One is a center and the other isn't.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

The way I remember it, 99% of AZ fans outright rejected the idea of trading OEL at all (how silly does that look now?).

Strome mostly came up in proposals without OEL, and several AZ fans refused to offer even two of Strome/Domi/Dvorak/2016 1st, stating that there was only a small gap between Strome and Matthews that wasn't big enough to give up one of their other top prospects.

Of course, smart Leafs fans like myself noted that the Leafs wouldn't trade Matthews for all of those players combined and we are being proven correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad