C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Seeing him last weekend, if he's not 6'2+ ill eat my shoes

I thought he said he was either 6"0 or 6"1 in a recent interview, he definitely isn't small and a legitimate 6"1 is good size, a lot of players seem to add 1-3 inches on to their real height for whatever reasons.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I don't know how somebody could see this guys skating and then combine that with his playmaking/vision and say he's not a Tavares level prospects. I think he's a step above him as well. may not end up being the better junior player but I think he'll be a better nhl player.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Go back and read the Tavares threads after his 70 goal season. Many posters expected him to put up 100+ goals the next year.
I don't need to.. I remember that, it still didn't make Tavares a better prospect than McDavid.

Most people were calling him the next generational player, same thing thats being said of McDavid.
Only, go back and read what you posted:
"No matter how you swing it, McDavid is much further behind where Crosby or Tavares were at his age"
"Considering he that is the main goal of a forward, and Tavares was much better at that than McDavid has been, then I'll say yes, he is definitely behind Tavares. "

oh, and if someone is ahead of the other as a prospect at the same age it's definitely McDavid, no matter how many goals Tavares scored.
Obviously that doesn't mean McDavid will necessarily become the better NHL player, but considering the immense difference in their skating, his potential is certainly higher.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
McDavid is a better overall player then Tavares at this age. McDavid creates a lot of his own offence. Remember Tavares use to sit beside the net and tap in cross ice passes. McDavid is a far better skater as well at this age then Tavares. McDavid isn't as good as Crosby when it comes to skating but he's close. Tavares skating didn't really start to improve till his second year in the NHL.

This year I believe you'll see what Connor is about. Doesn't have the supporting cast like last year and is the leader.

Scarbarian*

:amazed::amazed: Simply unreal, something creative happens every time he is on the ice. he could have had 6 points in that game.

I have said it before and I'll say it again and again, McDavid is THE undisputed #1 pick in this draft without a blink of an eye. He is the real deal. Hanifin and the company(Eichel, Kylington, Barzal, Konecny) is a two levels below him.

As a Bruins fan, I would go as far as trading Bergeron + Hamilton + 2015 1st to get this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
:amazed::amazed: Simply unreal, something creative happens every time he is on the ice. he could have had 6 points in that game.

I have said it before and I'll say it again and again, McDavid is THE undisputed #1 pick in this draft without a blink of an eye. He is the real deal. Hanifin and the company(Eichel, Kylington, Barzal, Konecny) is a two levels below him.

As a Bruins fan, I would go as far as trading Bergeron + Hamilton + 2015 1st to get this guy.

I don't think you've watched enough of Eichel. That kid is incredible. Reminds me of the 04 draft.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Really? I was expecting more from a highlight pack. There was one rush that was impressive and some play behind the net that was nice, but the majority of it was PP time that was just what you'd expect, nothing amazing. If there was anything amazing about that clip, it's that the league would actually approve such an ugly jersey. Might be the worst jersey's I've ever seen.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Really? I was expecting more from a highlight pack. There was one rush that was impressive and some play behind the net that was nice, but the majority of it was PP time that was just what you'd expect, nothing amazing. If there was anything amazing about that clip, it's that the league would actually approve such an ugly jersey. Might be the worst jersey's I've ever seen.

Highlight pack? That's just his points from one game. If you wanted highlights from him from that game it would be a video of every shift he took because something happens nearly every time, and if it doesn't, his skating is good enough to classify as a highlight lol.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I dont know if he is as good a Crosby but its my opinion he is definitely on pace to be as least as good as Tavares is.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I think McDavid is #1 too but what you said could all be applied to Eichel. Look at the numbers Eichel put up last season in games against college teams. Preseason NCAA debut this season vs a CIS team? 5 beauty assists. He's a better goal-scorer than McDavid right now and probably will remain so. His first few steps are extremely explosive, though he's not the darting skater McDavid is. It's close. Let's give Eichel some regular season games with BU before writing him off as competition, because everything he's done up to now shows that it at least deserves to be a conversation, even with McDavid remaining the favorite. To say Eichel is two levels below McDavid is complete hyperbole. He may be a level below, at most, but that hasn't yet shown to be the case.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
It seems like he has similar physical tools as MacKinnon, minus the shot, but he's a much smarter player.

I haven't had an opportunity to see a lot of Connor McDavid just yet, but that's heavy praise for him considering MacKinnon has an exceptional hockey mind.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I haven't had an opportunity to see a lot of Connor McDavid just yet, but that's heavy praise for him considering MacKinnon has an exceptional hockey mind.

MacKinnon is a very smart player as well but his game is definitely based around his physical attributes such as his skating, speed, strength, and shot more so than his IQ. McDavid has a scary blend of the two. I'd say his shot definitely needs some work but he's so young it's not an issue at all.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010

Seems like you haven't seen much of Eichel. Eichel is in the same class and McDavid and a step up from the others you mentioned. Not saying Eichel is better but the game isn't as big as you are making it out to be.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
MacKinnon is a very smart player as well but his game is definitely based around his physical attributes such as his skating, speed, strength, and shot more so than his IQ. McDavid has a scary blend of the two. I'd say his shot definitely needs some work but he's so young it's not an issue at all.

McDavid actually has a pretty good shot, he just does not use it much. One thing he needs to learn is the timing of when to shoot and when to pass.

DoubleDouble*

I love this site. A few years ago, people on here were switching to the trendy pick of Drouin over MacKinnon. Now you see people on here are searching for reasons to not choose McDavid 1st overall.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Seems like you haven't seen much of Eichel. Eichel is in the same class and McDavid and a step up from the others you mentioned. Not saying Eichel is better but the game isn't as big as you are making it out to be.

Last night, Eichel had 5 assists against a small Canadian University in an exhibition game and people are saying he is the 2nd coming. Come on? People can correct me if I am wrong but St. Thomas (NB) University has 2,500 students. Boston University has 30,000. He might as well have been playing against "The Sisters Of The Poor".

Canada's best hockey players do not play university hockey - and they certainly do not play at such a small university. They are a bunch of kids who will never sniff the NHL or Major Junior.

Let's give it a few years against common competition to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
But is the competition Eichel is playing against as good as McDavid?

Last night, Eichel had 5 assists against a small Canadian University in an exhibition game and people are saying he is the 2nd coming. Come on? He might as well have been playing against "The Sisters Of The Poor".

Let's give it a few years against common competition to see.

Uhhh, Eichel will be playing against significantly better competition this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad