C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Forget PPG stats. The fact that he's 3rd in scoring on his own team alone tells you he's no Crosby.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
. Crosby never stopped developing, the guy is the hardest worker off the ice and trying I have seen

Thats true, but I mean even at 16 Crosby was already a solid 185 pounds, you can't help but project what McDavid will be when he's older with that skillset and playing style, he really could be the best since Gretz/Lemieux.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Thats true, but I mean even at 16 Crosby was already a solid 185 pounds, you can't help but project what McDavid will be when he's older with that skillset and playing style, he really could be the best since Gretz/Lemieux.

Same weight as 16 year old McDavid is now.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

I will say I have seen Sidney Crosby play all through Midget, I even watched Sidney in his two games in Jr A with the Truro Bearcats and watched him through Shattuck and Rimouski as well as now......McDavid I watched with Toronto Marlies, saw him at the U17s in Quebec and the U18s last year as well as Erie last year and this year and I will say both are pretty amazing, McDavid is a better skater than Crosby was BUT McDavid does not think the game on Crosby level....im not saying McDavid does not have amazing hockey sense because he does, but he does not have special hockey sense...im not saying McDavid is not an amazing talent and the best in the CHL for his age, im just saying he is not a generational talent.

I will say your opinion is yours and mine is mine, im just preaching what i believe but no knock on what you think im saying personally (and i would love another Crosby to come along, that is why i was excited to watch him many times) and i came away impressed and i love him as a prospect but his game is not near Crosby when controlling the play and tempo, Mcdavid makes amazing plays but Crosby just made the game look so easy, he is hands down the best i have ever watched and that is putting McDavid in the mix.....

JCF

Feb 28, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
I will say I have seen Sidney Crosby play all through Midget, I even watched Sidney in his two games in Jr A with the Truro Bearcats and watched him through Shattuck and Rimouski as well as now......McDavid I watched with Toronto Marlies, saw him at the U17s in Quebec and the U18s last year as well as Erie last year and this year and I will say both are pretty amazing, McDavid is a better skater than Crosby was BUT McDavid does not think the game on Crosby level....im not saying McDavid does not have amazing hockey sense because he does, but he does not have special hockey sense...im not saying McDavid is not an amazing talent and the best in the CHL for his age, im just saying he is not a generational talent.

I will say your opinion is yours and mine is mine, im just preaching what i believe but no knock on what you think im saying personally (and i would love another Crosby to come along, that is why i was excited to watch him many times) and i came away impressed and i love him as a prospect but his game is not near Crosby when controlling the play and tempo, Mcdavid makes amazing plays but Crosby just made the game look so easy, he is hands down the best i have ever watched and that is putting McDavid in the mix.....

In your opinion who has better overall hockey sense, McDavid or RNH?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
So it's still elite, especially as RNH had his vision/sense compared to Gretzky (although idiotically) in his draft year.
I never said McDavid was not an elite talent....all im saying is he is not Crosby....but RNH defenitly does not have Gretzky like vision lol i agree with you there it was idiotically lol......I can see McDavid in the NHL as a rookie being a 60 to 70 point guy and in his prime being a 100 point player like i said the guy has super star writen all over him...but special talent i personally do not think he is.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
I never said McDavid was not an elite talent....all im saying is he is not Crosby....but RNH defenitly does not have Gretzky like vision lol i agree with you there it was idiotically lol......I can see McDavid in the NHL as a rookie being a 60 to 70 point guy and in his prime being a 100 point player like i said the guy has super star writen all over him...but special talent i personally do not think he is.

Everyone is making this harder than it has to be. McDavid's benchmark is none other than Nail Yakupov. Not Sidney Crosby. Statistically and team/league impact, they are identical. McDavid and Yakupov are close in terms of electric ability, but McDavid has better hockey sense.

The ironic caveat with McDavid is while he has gained years of hype pre-draft, he is one of the few top talents who still has a lot of maturing to do across the board physically and improving weak parts of his game. He is borderline too close to being a perimeter player for a guy of his reputation.

WhiteLight*

RNH has some of the very best hockey sense in the league. His two-way instincts are off the charts

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
i love **** like this. what on earth could that projection possibly be based off?

It's a reasonable projection. 18 year old highly touted rookies are usually around a 55-60 point pace in their first year in the NHL post-lockout. Hall, Tavares, Duchene, Yakupov, Galchenyuk, etc - all around that level. Kane's 70 points is an anomaly, as is Skinner's 65 points. RNH was also on pace for 65-70 but played much fewer games.

The general consensus is that McDavid is projected to be somewhere between Tavares and Crosby. Crosby got 100 points in his 18 yo season, but that guy is just a freak and also scoring was higher in 2005/06 (his points would be closer to 90 these days).

So I think a projection of between 60-80 points for McDavid is very reasonable (though it is a very big range, so kind of tough to be wrong).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
No body is Crosby....But theres nothing wrong with Kane,Stamkos,and Tavares.

McDavid is going to be a fine player

Avengers*

What's so special about Connor McDavid?

Tell what so good about him

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He is elite when it come to offensive tools. Elite skating, vision, hands and anticipation in the offensive game. His hockey IQ is off the charts and he will have pretty decent size.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Playing with kids 2-3 years older than him

Although I should mention I agree, he's no Crosby, look he will be in the 60-80 point range for his rookie NHL season

i love **** like this. what on earth could that projection possibly be based off?

Given that MacKinnon is projected to have 50 points this season, on a p!ss poor team (based on last year) that he made better, it isn't that much of a stretch.

When you watch McDavid, it is hard not to think of Crosby. He looks and plays like Sid. Put an 87 on his back and you could confuse the two. Having said that, he is still a long way from how good Crosby was at that age.

If he gets there (including a great WJR tournament), that's terrific. I hope he does.

If he doesn't, so be it. He will still be an amazing Canadian prospect/player that we can enjoy for years to come.

There's no use ripping into each other over it. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad