C Connor Bedard - Regina Pats, WHL (2023 Draft) Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Man after seeing how much worse of a dumpster fire the Coyotes are this week than they already were (who knew it could get worse), literally nobody who matters would be critical of him if he wanted to pull a Lindros if the Yotes win the lottery. Their actions over these past couple of days have given him license to do so and be well supported for it.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Man after seeing how much worse of a dumpster fire the Coyotes are this week than they already were (who knew it could get worse), literally nobody who matters would be critical of him if he wanted to pull a Lindros if the Yotes win the lottery. Their actions over these past couple of days have given him license to do so and be well supported for it.
Bedard: I will only sign with the Canucks

Could you imagine how mad HFBoards would be?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
No way would he be supported by anything close to a majority.

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Zero chance he Lindros's anybody, that's not his character. It will just be Canadian fans that are mad, but it won't really be a big deal. So long as ARI gets an NHL arena within 5 years, I think it will all work out, as painful and pitiful as it looks now.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
No way would he be supported by anything close to a majority.
Hence the "people who matter" comment. I.e. GMs, coaches, agents, some analysts. Fans aren't included there, particularly fans of whichever teams don't draft him.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Lol I hope they do win the lottery so we can watch you freak out about it
I dont particularly care if he ends up in the central, and I don't actually expect Bedard to pull a Lindros anyways. Feel free to try again if you'd like.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Zero chance he Lindros's anybody, that's not his character. It will just be Canadian fans that are mad, but it won't really be a big deal. So long as ARI gets an NHL arena within 5 years, I think it will all work out, as painful and pitiful as it looks now.

I can't wait to see him line up alongside Voracek, Little, Ladd & Weber along with the 5 more LTIR corpses Arizona trades for between now and Bedard's debut.

I agree that I doubt he will refuse to sign in Arizona if they draft him, but what a waste of a generational talent; As great as he'll almost certainly be, even he can't save that dumpster fire of a franchise.

As a hockey fan, I can only hope in his 2nd contract he goes for the minimum term to get him to free agency as quick as possible then signs virtually anywhere else.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
“I love my boys, my team. I love my country! I love this place, this city!”

Connor Bedard is a f***ing BEAUTY and without a doubt a future captain (not to mention an all star)!
Connor Bedard says he would like to play for the Canucks the home town team...the best 17-18 year old in the World should be able to choose his employer

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils
Mar 12, 2009
He was called that when he was the first ever Exceptional Player, imo.
Maybe people were too young to really follow things at the time, but there were tons of "the next one?" articles after being granted exceptional status, having a great 15 year old season with 45 goals and then scoring 72 as a 16 year old.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Pull a Lindros lol you know who else in the 50+ year history of the draft "pulled a Lindros"? Absolutely nobody. Anybody else remember why Lindros wouldn't go to Quebec city?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Arizona looks like they are well on their way to a successful rebuild. They has a lot of talent in Bedards age range and more picks to come. He'd be a fool to refuse to go there because they traded away older players who won't be contributors when Bedard is in his prime.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Pull a Lindros lol you know who else in the 50+ year history of the draft "pulled a Lindros"? Absolutely nobody. Anybody else remember why Lindros wouldn't go to Quebec city?

He wouldn't go because the organization, mainly the owner, was in shambles. Not exactly the same as the Arizona situation but not totally different either.

It's best for the league that players go where they are drafted. Like many I'd rather Arizona not get Bedard due to what the organization is like (no issue with him going literally anywhere else) but I certainly wouldn't expect him to refuse to sign if Arizona drafts him.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
He wouldn't go because the organization, mainly the owner, was in shambles. Not exactly the same as the Arizona situation but not totally different either.

It's best for the league that players go where they are drafted. Like many I'd rather Arizona not get Bedard due to what the organization is like (no issue with him going literally anywhere else) but I certainly wouldn't expect him to refuse to sign if Arizona drafts him.
He says now it was because of the owner [Auget?] Most people at the time assumed it was because French is the first language of Quebec City. He said at the time that he doesn't speak french. He didn't say i'm going to learn french. Not hard to connect the dots there. Either way Auget doesn't own the Coyotes, English is first language of Phoenix and Bedard seems absolutely nothing like Lindros to me. Other than being really good at hockey of course.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The NHL is (will be) his employer. He can go play in any other hockey league but thankfully for Bedard he has the choice to play in the NHL.
Playing for a perennial cellar dweller loser is not playing! Its a wrath, damnation! If I'm Bedard I'd pull a Lindros and extend my middle fingers double barreled at the Arizona whatever the hell they are calling themselves and that Chicago team too why should they be gifted a player like Bedard when they tossed the whole season maybe 2-3 into the River

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He says now it was because of the owner [Auget?] Most people at the time assumed it was because French is the first language of Quebec City. He said at the time that he doesn't speak french. He didn't say i'm going to learn french. Not hard to connect the dots there. Either way Auget doesn't own the Coyotes, English is first language of Phoenix and Bedard seems absolutely nothing like Lindros to me. Other than being really good at hockey of course.
Most credible sources indicate that it was about Aubut first and foremost, and the undesirability of playing in Quebec City was tied to him in a way that can't fully be separated. I don't doubt that it being a small, unstable market (the latter partly due to Aubut) was a factor. Since Lindros refused to play for the OHL team that drafted him as well I expect that he would be very unlikely to play for Arizona given the market. Doesn't mean that Bedard would do anything like that and honestly with the flak Lindros got it's probably less likely now.

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
To add to that thought. Lindros demanded a trade in the ohl which i had forgotten. Bedard oth seems perfectly happy playing out his jr career in Regina. If he wanted to be in Van so bad he could have already demanded a trade there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad