C Bo Horvat (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If I judge based on projection and talent, I think Bo is top five in this year's rookie Corps.

Forsberg
Ekblad
Klingberg
Gaudreau
Horvat
Stone
Drouin
Hoffman
Rakell
Lee

In that Order. I may even put Horvat over Gaudreau because Horvat is more multi-dimensional in Bergeron's mold. (I'm so onboard his hype-train, I even changed my profile pic) I think there is only the top three that is in a class of its own.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
If I judge based on projection and talent, I think Bo is top five in this year's rookie Corps.

Forsberg
Ekblad
Klingberg
Gaudreau
Horvat
Stone
Drouin
Hoffman
Rakell
Lee

In that Order. I may even put Horvat over Gaudreau because Horvat is more multi-dimensional in Bergeron's mold. (I'm so onboard his hype-train, I even changed my profile pic) I think there is only the top three that is in a class of its own.

Horvat is a quality young player, but he's not close to JG in the Calder race. JG has around 30 more points, along with being a plus player.

SvenBaertschi

Not Sven Baerschi
Aug 19, 2012
Horvat is a quality young player, but he's not close to JG in the Calder race. JG has around 30 more points, along with being a plus player.

I think I can agree with that. Horvat has done well for us but Gaudreau is playing a more important role in Calgary. And like you alluded to JG has produced more so far.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
A quick look at my thread history will show that I wanted to trade up for Horvat before the draft... I was hoping 22 + 28 would potentially get us in the range... (Obviously, that wouldn't have worked with him going 9th).

I see a Jarret Stole like player with slightly better speed.. (Prime Stoll, not declining Stoll.) Great at faceoffs, great defensive game, good offensive instincts. You have a keeper, nuck fans!

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Horvat has succeeded in a role that Rookies almost always fail at.

Thats whats exciting about him as a canucks fan. As of now you can't compare him to the rookies like Forsberg, and Gaudreau as they have outproduced him massively offensively and are both worthy of being finalists for the calder. But they were both handed a top 6 spot and plenty of PP time as well. Im sure if you played Horvat with the Sedin's at ES and on the PP his point total would look quite different.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

Thats whats exciting about him as a canucks fan. As of now you can't compare him to the rookies like Forsberg, and Gaudreau as they have outproduced him massively offensively and are both worthy of being finalists for the calder. But they were both handed a top 6 spot and plenty of PP time as well. Im sure if you played Horvat with the Sedin's at ES and on the PP his point total would look quite different.

Please do some research before posting nonsense like this. It's simply not true, at least in Gaudreau's case.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
A quick look at my thread history will show that I wanted to trade up for Horvat before the draft... I was hoping 22 + 28 would potentially get us in the range... (Obviously, that wouldn't have worked with him going 9th).

I see a Jarret Stole like player with slightly better speed.. (Prime Stoll, not declining Stoll.) Great at faceoffs, great defensive game, good offensive instincts. You have a keeper, nuck fans!

I'd be happy with that. Career year around 60-65 points, while every other year he is consistently getting 40-50 points.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I'd be happy with that. Career year around 60-65 points, while every other year he is consistently getting 40-50 points.

Who wouldn't be! He's the type of player you win with! It's nice to see that this kid has a good head on his shoulders... Seems pretty humble/likeable.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

They are in the top 6 because they are scoring like top 6 forwards (or rather top line forwards). Let's not get carried away with the Horvat hype, as I doubt he'd be producing like a first line player right now if given all those minutes.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
They are in the top 6 because they are scoring like top 6 forwards (or rather top line forwards). Let's not get carried away with the Horvat hype, as I doubt he'd be producing like a first line player right now if given all those minutes.

I didn't say that,

i said that Horvats numbers would of been different(not necessarily better than JG or Forsberg) if he had been given the opportunities that Johnny Hockey, and Forsberg were given. I don't understand how anyone could argue that.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007

Yeah no, that didn't happen. Gaudreau clawed his way up that depth chart all by himself.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Which means that even strength goals isn't a good way to decide who has been more impressive.

My point is that Horvat playing on the 4th line scoring at the same pace as a 21 year old that is playing on the top line. At even strength of course.

As for Calder nominations. Horvat's rookie season point totals aren't as impressive because he isn't getting as much PP time. He won't get nominated.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Gaudreau and Horvat have the exact same even strength goals.

I'd say Horvat in my eyes has been just as impressive as Gaudreau

That is what I've been alluding to. Yes Gaudreau is outscoring Horvat by a large margin this year. But he's also 2 years older, and don't tell me that

Gaudreau's 17:15 avg vs Horvat's 11:48 avg
Gaudreau being flanked by Monaghan and Hudler ES and PP vs
Horvat being flanked by Kenins and F'in Dorsett ES only.

makes no difference in production. Not to mention that Horvat is not deployed in an offensive role at all until maybe the last couple games. And he's a center with a lot more responsibilities in WD's system. I'm also willing to bet that Horvat can hold his own better than lil' johnny once the whistles get tucked away in the playoffs.

I think they are completely comparable. and are two equally exceptional hockey players in their own right.

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
Horvat being trusted in the last minute of last night's game vs the Ducks was absolutely huge for a rookie centre imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad