C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
As an Edmonton fan I echo this. Matthews is a joy to watch. I hope you guys feel the same when you watch McDavid. They make any game exciting.

I could just watch McDAvid skate and be entertained for hours, let alone watch him actually play hockey. I want them both to succeed because the NHL needs it.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I tuned in since I noticed Nylander and Mattehws had a good night in my pool. Then saw the score... is it the goaltending or what??

Refs not calling the game right and hunwick/polak being the disaster we expected

A bad mix

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I tuned in since I noticed Nylander and Mattehws had a good night in my pool. Then saw the score... is it the goaltending or what??
The awesome combination of below average goaltending and terrible defence. I'm sure you are familiar with the combo.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I love watching Matthews. He's fantastic. If I'm going tk worry about anything about the oil its finally making the playoffs.

Yeah, thing thats actually making me nervous is actually caring about the results of games in our conference/division for once and we're still <10% of the way into the season.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The awesome combination of below average goaltending and terrible defence. I'm sure you are familiar with the combo.

Sadly we had years of it. That's why the Hall for Larsson trade was exactly what we needed. Talbot is legit despite what some here say.

Matthews looks great, good game from him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Better then Mcdavid?

It's almost starting to look that way.

The guy is the complete package.

You said the same about Gaudreau jj, we know how hilarious that is :laugh:.

Matthews is great though, good for the Leafs to have a guy like him. It's nice seeing this much talent in Canada.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Sadly we had years of it. That's why the Hall for Larsson trade was exactly what we needed. Talbot is legit despite what some here say.

Matthews looks great, good game from him.

Thing is our defense (D position only) is mainly intact from last year and our defense was good last year... so we get zaitsev and so far he's been by far our best defenseman.

Our best defensive line was mainly intact and it's been all over the place.

The vets are destroying this team. People were using the rookies as an excuse for failure but every single rookie has been our best players without question.

What is happening shouldn't be happening.

P.s. marincin is injured which is why our defense has become much much worse

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thing is our defense (D position only) is mainly intact from last year and our defense was good last year... so we get zaitsev and so far he's been by far our best defenseman.

Our best defensive line was mainly intact and it's been all over the place.

The vets are destroying this team. People were using the rookies as an excuse for failure but every single rookie has been our best players without question.

What is happening shouldn't be happening.

I agree, I've been watching pretty much every Leafs game this year. The rookies are not the problem at all, they've all looked good. Marner might even look the best despite the least amount of points, fantastic passer.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think the Leafs are the second luckiest team next to the Oilers. First overall picks like this guy just don't come around often. He's just a really skilled player and he's not even scratching the surface of what he can do (I don't mean to say he can score 137 points before the sarcastic comments pile on here as well). I mean in terms of dominating the game with his size and reach, with his incredible hand eye coordination, ability to play with the puck in tight spaces.

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto
As an Edmonton fan I echo this. Matthews is a joy to watch. I hope you guys feel the same when you watch McDavid. They make any game exciting.

Yep, I feel the same, Mcdavids amazing.

Another 2 points for Matthews tonight, while the team got smashed. Imagine what he'll be doing when we get good!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You said the same about Gaudreau jj, we know how hilarious that is :laugh:.

Matthews is great though, good for the Leafs to have a guy like him. It's nice seeing this much talent in Canada.

You won't be laughing for much longer snipes, he is right there with McD.

And I never said gaudreau was better the mcDavid,I said I was not sure if he will go down as the better player when all is said and done.

But with matthews i will go out on a limb right now and say he is every bit as good. And as the record now stands and I know it is early................his play and skillset warrant it.

Feel free to bring this up when Mcdavid blows him away in points this year, my guess is it does not happen.

Cheers:)

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

Matthews and Nylander are basically responsible for 90% of our offensive opportunities. They're absolutely amazing to watch.

Nylander has been more consistently awesome, but Matthews just has those moments where you know he's something special.

As for what's costing us games, it's our defensive coverage. We've outplayed 5 of our 6 opponents and have one win. We've collapsed in the 3rd period 3 times. We have plays where our defence literally watches as 2 forwards get to high five each other in the crease before scoring on a helpless Andersen. The defenceman is usually Hunwick and whoever he is with. Hunwick is just :(

must be Marincin :sarcasm:

As sad as it is, we desperately need him back. I've seen just about enough of Hunwick-Polak killing penalties in the 3rd. One is bad enough, but both at the same time just makes you want to cry.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How he keeps racking up points in 5v5 situations is extremely promising. This rate isn't sustainable long-term (unless for whatever reason league-wide scoring goes up significantly), but the fact he can produce in these situations is promising.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
As sad as it is, we desperately need him back. I've seen just about enough of Hunwick-Polak killing penalties in the 3rd. One is bad enough, but both at the same time just makes you want to cry.

It's sad. Hunwick is a turnstyle and can't catch up to anyone or win any puck battles.

Polak's break out pass is usually a slap shot to a winger at the red line, who has a 50% chance of tipping it to negate the icing and limit the damage to a loss of possession.

I actually get excited when either of them blocks a shot and seems to be hurt.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
It's sad. Hunwick is a turnstyle and can't catch up to anyone or win any puck battles.

Polak's break out pass is usually a slap shot to a winger at the red line, who has a 50% chance of tipping it to negate the icing and limit the damage to a loss of possession.

I actually get excited when either of them blocks a shot and seems to be hurt.

Watching Stamkos skate right around him today almost felt like it was happening in slow motion. I saw the goal coming from a mile away.

And I don't know if you've noticed, but Hunwick is actually indestructible. He should have like 3 concussions this season and somehow doesn't have a scratch. He sucks and he won't go away :(

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Matthews and Nylander are basically responsible for 90% of our offensive opportunities. They're absolutely amazing to watch.

Nylander has been more consistently awesome, but Matthews just has those moments where you know he's something special

As for what's costing us games, it's our defensive coverage. We've outplayed 5 of our 6 opponents and have one win. We've collapsed in the 3rd period 3 times. We have plays where our defence literally watches as 2 forwards get to high five each other in the crease before scoring on a helpless Andersen. The defenceman is usually Hunwick and whoever he is with. Hunwick is just :(

Keep in mind Willy has had about 25 more games in the NHL to get accustomed. They both have moments where they just take over the game though. You can tell willy's confidence is peaked right now, whereas Matthews' comes and goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00