C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Anyways, why are we discussing Laine? Matthews is centering his own line and leading the team in points and goals. Matthews and Nylander are going to be a deadly duo this season.

Do you think, that Babs is going to keep Nylander on Matthews wing full season?

Leafs sure look promising in the future.. Matthews - Nylander, Marner - Kapanen

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It seems to be a minority opinion on here and blasphemous to say on Hf but to me Matthews looks every bit as good as Mcdavid and may even have a better career as I think Mcdavid is likely to be injured a lot more them Auston due to his playing style and thinner build/size. As for the Eichel/Mathhews comparisons to me he looks to be a clear cut above Jack.

I think he is going to be a hart trophy winner and be considered the best player in the world in some years of his career. I would say like Mcdavid he is already one of the better players in the world right now, he is that good.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Maybe this full season depending on trades at the deadline (i think/hope Bozak is gone) but long term i think he is a better center. Someone mentioned in another thread he and kapanen have a bromance going i think it would be Matthews-Marner and Nylander-Kapanen as early as after the deadline if Kapanen can keep up his AHL play

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
It seems to be a minority opinion on here and blasphemous to say on Hf but to me Matthews looks every bit as good as Mcdavid and may even have a better career as I think Mcdavid is likely to be injured a lot more them Auston due to his playing style and thinner build/size. As for the Eichel/Mathhews comparisons to me he looks to be a clear cut above Jack.

I think he is going to be a hart trophy winner and be considered the best player in the world in some years of his career. I would say like Mcdavid he is already one of the better players in the world right now, he is that good.

I've been higher on Matthews than most but McDavid is just too good.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I've been higher on Matthews than most but McDavid is just too good.

I don't know.

Matthews is really off the charts. Shot,passing, vision,boardwork, size,hands, ability to break down the game in the offensive zone, top notch hockey I.Q......................they are all pretty much elite with Auston.

He's fantastic, he is already the Leafs best player, I think he is already one of the leagues best players. His numbers over a short sample size are not what convince me, it is his skills and the way he plays with them that do. It is so plain to see just how good he is when you watch him.

Just a special player on Mcdavids level IMO. How did some kid growing up in Arizona get this good?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
meh, let the Laine-ites have their fun. Kid looks like he'll be a heck of a goal scorer.

I'm happy with Papi.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

We really could use a D prospect in the same mold as our top 3 forward prospects.
Rielly is good; but not in the same stratosphere of minute munching, all situation, control every zone, like the Dmen on top teams. We really don't have one in the system, and will have a hard time keeping the puck out of our end/net; regardless of our forward group

Jul 10, 2003
KW

I think that Babs will keep Nylander there all season. I'm glad that Babs is giving these lines a chance to gel. At some point though, Bozak or Kadri will get traded, I think Nylander will switch to C at that point...I'm guessing next year's trade deadline.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Correction: Toronto's defense and goalie made Laine look like a world beater.

Matthews played just fine in that game. Should've had 2-3 himself.

Yep. Matthews looked better all game, actually. If he scored on his break away it's 2 points each and Laine's blown coverage on a dead tired matthews that handed his team the loss.

Instead Laine gets an easy look on a 2v1 going the other way because he barely made it past the blueline trying to catch matthews.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
How about we stop praising Matthews by downplaying Laine? They're both studs, they're both the same tier of prospect whether you want to admit it or not. I'm glad as hell that we have Matthews but get over it, we would've been money either at #1 or #2.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Man are the Leafs fun to watch now with this guy, Nylander and Marner.

Each one makes a jaw-dropping play or two each game that, as a Leaf fan, I'm simply not used to seeing. Whether it's a crazy dangle or perfect pass or a snipe these kids are dynamite.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
How about we stop praising Matthews by downplaying Laine? They're both studs, they're both the same tier of prospect whether you want to admit it or not. I'm glad as hell that we have Matthews but get over it, we would've been money either at #1 or #2.
Thanks, we need more people like you here.

Just because Matthews turned out to be one of the best #1 overall picks in years, it doesn't mean Laine couldn't be a special one either when it comes to wingers.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Just because Matthews turned out to be one of the best #1 overall picks in years, it doesn't mean Laine couldn't be a special one either when it comes to wingers.

Pretty much, and since the thread is about Matthews. Let's just focus on him.

Good game again last night, he's only going to get better with experience which is the beauty of it and very exciting.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I think a big part of the problem is the amount of hyperbole that gets thrown around from both sides of this and the fact that some people(Jets/Finnish-Leafs fans) seem to like to think it is just the other set of fans doing the instigating with all of this bickering when it goes both ways. Matthews gets a 4 goal game so people post about how much better he is then Laine.....Laine scores 3 against the Leafs Jets/Finns post about how much better Laine is and around and around we go. I have said from the minute the draft lottery was finished, both of these franchises won. The Leafs got exactly what they needed and so did the Jets. We both have walked away with an elite player, neither of them is going to be a bust, so I just have never understood the bickering. Leaf fans are ecstatic with Matthews as are Jets fans with Laine....So what's the big deal.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Projecting Matthews as tied for the 3rd best goal scorer in the league?

Jesus christ. Flattered though.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
40 goals? I'll take 30, thank you. 39 is exactly what Sid got in his rookie year so I'm not exactly gonna hold my breath.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
If Matthews pots 40 I will laugh my ass off. I think there's probably exactly a 6% chance of that happening.

Irony is 20-25 goals should be considered a success, now may be a disappointment

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
If Matthews pots 40 I will laugh my ass off. I think there's probably exactly a 6% chance of that happening.
I agree that there's little chance, but he's about as mature of a teenage rookie as I've seen.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If he were playing with scrubs those totals would be optimistic, but playing with Nylander, I pretty much expect 35g/70p. I said this before the season too in the projection polls. His game is just so mature and smart that as a center the puck is always going to be funneled through him, so he'll pick up points even when he doesn't make dazzling plays.

Leafs are going to score at least an average number of goals, so *someone* is bound to get a decent number of points and be among the NHL leaders. In past years that was Kessel. It's not likely to be Bozak/JVR/Kadri, who don't have complete offensive games, and probably not Marner as he's still learning to play against men. So by process of elimination, the smart money is on Matthews and/or Nylander putting up strong point totals, especially since they're playing together and doing well so far. It's not common, except in case of an injury to a top player, for a team to be average or better offensively and not have someone in the 65+ point vicinity.

Another thing. All 8 of his points are in 4 road games. Last night the Hawks matched the Toews line and Hjalmarsson pairing against Matthews more often than not. Still 2 points. Imagine when he starts playing some games at home where the Leafs get last change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad