C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
How is Toronto over-hyping Matthews? He's not even the most hyped player in his own draft as the consensus #1.

Right around the time Leafs won the lotto and we started seeing all the polls, you know the ones. Matthews or Eichel, Matthews + Marner or McDavid, Matthews and Marner or Gaudreau and Monahan.

KK91

Jan 7, 2009
love this prospect, love his highlights and i see a true number center. I also hear that leafs are listening to Arizona and that is all. If Gretzky can get traded anyone can get traded, there is always a price. In my opinion i don't believe leafs will trade Matthews because he is ready to step in next year and make an impact at center. Another argument is that number centers are not made on trees. There are maybe 15 true number centers so to pass up on Matthews for the likes of Dvorak which i think is a fabulous player, Domi and Thackuck i still don't think its worth it. Anyways Go Leafs Go!

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Right around the time Leafs won the lotto and we started seeing all the polls, you know the ones. Matthews or Eichel, Matthews + Marner or McDavid, Matthews and Marner or Gaudreau and Monahan.

Most of them made by non-leaf fans but by all means, don't let a gross fact ruin your "argument".

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Yeah...we should've just stuck with Matthews or Gagner polls. At least then it would have been more realistic :sarcasm:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

I don't even consider that over-hyping. That's more to see where a player compares against NHL comparables. That's someone basically asking, "Is Matthews comparable to _______?". That has nothing to do with overhyping.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Have you been paying attention? Matthews is going to be good, possibly great player, but to say Leafs fans aren't hyping him completely disregards facts.

Of course Leafs fans are hyping Matthews. Every 1st overall pick since ever has been hyped.

However, the poster you quoted said OVERHYPED, which is a different beast all together.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Of course Leafs fans are hyping Matthews. Every 1st overall pick since ever has been hyped.

However, the poster you quoted said OVERHYPED, which is a different beast all together.

What I'm wondering in all of this is, where do you draw the line? What's just regular hype and at what point does it become "overhype". Seems like a very subjective thing to me and perhaps something people use when too many people talk nicely about a prospect you don't like as much as they do, for whatever reasons.

I personally don't think Matthews or any of the other top prospects in this draft are "overhyped". They are ranked and projected to go where they are for a reason, and that's deserving of a bit of credit. Who knows if they'll live up to expectations, but up to this point, they've done all they can do to get them this far, and fans of the teams with a chance to select them have every right to be excited.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I personally don't think Matthews or any of the other top prospects in this draft are "overhyped". They are ranked and projected to go where they are for a reason, and that's deserving of a bit of credit. Who knows if they'll live up to expectations, but up to this point, they've done all they can do to get them this far, and fans of the teams with a chance to select them have every right to be excited.

This is really what I'm trying to say. Any team holding a 1st overall pick in a good draft has the right to be excited, and their fans should be permitted to hype that player up a bit.

Hype vs Overhype is certainly subjective. It's my opinion that Matthews has not reached the level of being 'overhyped' to the extent that expectations are unrealistic.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

How dare the Leafs compare Matthews to Eichel...it's not like Matthews has outplayed Eichel at every single level at the same age. Oh wait, he did do that.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

How is that not debatable?

Seriously, Eichel's rookie season wasn't so spectacular that they aren't comparable. Maybe Matthews will actually get nominated for Calder...

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What I'm wondering in all of this is, where do you draw the line? What's just regular hype and at what point does it become "overhype". Seems like a very subjective thing to me and perhaps something people use when too many people talk nicely about a prospect you don't like as much as they do, for whatever reasons.

Read the laine thread. People have said

1.) its an insult to compare him to heatley
2.) he is a better prospect than ovechkin
3.) he will score a minumum of 30 goals a yr
From his rookie season on.

There are obvious cases of overhyping.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

You come across as jealous. You should be happy with Eichel.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
You come across as jealous. You should be happy with Eichel.

I'm fine with Eichel, I'm fine with Matthews, I think he's a great player. Again that wasn't my point, my point was that saying people aren't hyping or over-hyping is lie. Comparing him to Eichel is a fine question, seeing 3 or 4 Matthews vs whoever everyday is a bit excessive.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

1. I really don't think anyone took it as an insult when Laine was compared to Heatley. But many also just didn't see it as a very accurate comparison. Heatley was still more about scoring close to goal, which Laine is not too much. Heatly was also a petty bad skater, which Laine really is not (if you don't believe it, you can always ask Scheifele), of course skating is not a clear strength either for Laine (although his topspeed is pretty darn good), but he is not weaker than the majority of the NHL players with his skating.

2. This is a pretty subjective issue. Again I don't think that anyone has clearly said that Laine is a better prospect than Ovechkin. I think that I was only saying that Laine as an 18 year old is better than Ovechkin was as an 18 year old (much better stats and achievements are undeniable, I have also seen both play in many games at that age, so I base my opinion on the eye test as well). Ovechkin sure had great development as a goal scorer, and finally as a 19 year old he had become right away the best goal scorer in the NHL in his first season. I don't claim that will happen to Laine and I haven't seen anyone else claim that either. But I don't still see Ovechkin as anything else but a onesided goal scorer. So I can definitely see Laine having the chances to become a better player than Ovechkin. But that's another story.

3. I am one of the bigger Laine fans here, and I said that if Laine will score 20 goals during his rookie season I would be very happy. If he will score 30 or even more than than that it will be amazing. But I myself see 20 goals as a pretty realistic expectation and not as any overhyping. He definitely has the tools to be a steady 30 goal scorer, so I wouldn't call it really overhyping if anyone is expecting that. I can see it happen after his rookie season, if he can avoid injuries. I think only one huge Laine fan is expecting clearly over 30 goals from his rookie season. All the others have posted expectations like 15-20 goals. So if one person is enthusiastic and is extremely confident in Laine's abilities, I would not really call it overhyping. There has definitely been similar projecting with Matthews. 70+ or even 80+ points rookie seasons have been mentioned.

But anyway, I didn't really post this to diss Matthews. I see him as an excellent prospect and I can also see why many believe that he should and will be number one pick. I do see even more potential in Laine, but it doesn't mean that I devalue Matthews, or that I need to criticize him on something. Both are great and we will have a very exciting NHL season next season with both of them and so many other extremely promising young players in the league.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

How is this different than the comments made about Matthews? In the last week I've read that next season he'll be a top 10 or 15 centre in the NHL and that with the exception of McDavid he's easily the best prospect since Crosby. I've also seen obvious cases of overhyping when it comes to Marner and Nylander. The overhyping with Laine isn't really all that different than what you see with other prospects...I don't get what the fuss is.

Last edited:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm fine with Eichel, I'm fine with Matthews, I think he's a great player. Again that wasn't my point, my point was that saying people aren't hyping or over-hyping is lie. Comparing him to Eichel is a fine question, seeing 3 or 4 Matthews vs whoever everyday is a bit excessive.

I said we don't have to overhype him, doesn't mean some won't do it.

It was in response to all the Laine "overhyping". What I meant was we don't have to justify taking him first because he is the best prospect in the draft. These Laine fanboys are trying to justify why Laine is better and should be 1st overall when in reality Matthews is the better prospect and we will be taking him 1st overall. What's the point in arguing Matthews over Laine when it's consensus?

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I like how the Laine thread is about Laine and the Matthews thread is about Laine.

Can we all just accept that both teams are getting great prospects. I could see Matthews going first in almost every draft since 89. And Laine would probably go top 5 in a lot of those drafts too (although I have a hard time seeing him crack top 35 in 2015. Aho went 35th and we all know he's close to Matthews in terms of skill)

In my 16 minutes of video scouting I've never seen a player pull off the moves Matthews can and there's only 1 word that comes to mind, and that word is "this is a generational prospect and the Leafs are lucky"

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
35l9mqr.jpg

I usually take Button's ratings with a grain of salt but I don't think I've ever seen him give all 5/5s to any prospect before, including McDavid :amazed:.

We've got quite the prospect on our hands and I couldn't be happier as a Leafs fan. :yo:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I like how the Laine thread is about Laine and the Matthews thread is about Laine.

It's funny how some people here try to draw the line, but they only manage to draw more Laine. :)

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I usually take Button's ratings with a grain of salt but I don't think I've ever seen him give all 5/5s to any prospect before, including McDavid :amazed:.

We've got quite the prospect on our hands and I couldn't be happier as a Leafs fan. :yo:

He actually did give McDavid a 6/5 which is ungodly lol.

But I'm with you on not being happier that Matthews will likely be a Leaf. He's just a level above the rest of the field this year, and IMO he's closer to a generational talent than he an elite talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad