C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
We don't have to overhype Matthews in our thread.

Matthews doesn't have to overhype Matthews on the ice.

Matthews doesn't have to overhype Matthews in his interviews.

Have you been paying attention? Matthews is going to be good, possibly great player, but to say Leafs fans aren't hyping him completely disregards facts.

Mad Brills*

Have you been paying attention? Matthews is going to be good, possibly great player, but to say Leafs fans aren't hyping him completely disregards facts.

I'm sure sabres fans didn't hype eichel at ALL.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He's being hyped plenty, just not approaching the ridiculous love fest the other guys thread is receiving via the Finnish/Jet fan/Anti Leaf stronghold who are near obsessive, particular the former. When you have the clear top guy, the need to justify their position is nonexistent. BPA, franchise center, total slam dunk choice.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's being hyped plenty, just not approaching the ridiculous love fest the other guys thread is receiving via the Finnish/Jet fan/Anti Leaf stronghold who are near obsessive, particular the former. When you have the clear top guy, the need to justify their position is nonexistent. BPA, franchise center, total slam dunk choice.

I think most years with the exception of Ekblad/Bennett/Reinhart, the top guy usually got a lot of love in their respective threads.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I think most years with the exception of Ekblad/Bennett/Reinhart, the top guy usually got a lot of love in their respective threads.

Are you saying Matthews hasnt gotten love? He has, just that the amount of traffic/love the others guys thread is receiving is unusual, but explainable given the circumstances (Finnish nationalism/desire for a 1st overall, late push, play vs pro's etc.)

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I wouldn't call it a love fest. :laugh: Maybe it used to be a love fest before he became the Liiga champion. Week later, comes the draft lottery and the rest of it is history.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Are you saying Matthews hasnt gotten love? He has, just that the amount of traffic/love the others guys thread is receiving is unusual, but explainable given the circumstances (Finnish nationalism/desire for a 1st overall, late push, play vs pro's etc.)

I think more then any other 1st overall pick going into the draft Matthews has been marginalized a lot compared to years past.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Best player available in the '16 draft.
Yes, almost.

By almost I read he is not quite sold on everyone as #1. The problem not so much rests with Matthews himself but with how in past the Maple Leafs somehow managed their prospects into marginal players. Hopefully with a new management committed to a better strategy they will be able to develop Matthews as a #1C player. Until that happens, I will hold judgement

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Four scouts have personally told me that he would go first in every draft since 1989 and that he might just be the best thing since sliced bread.

Another exec I spoke with also told me that Arizona is pushing hard to make a deal with the Leafs that would send Matthews and Marner to ARI for Strome, OEL and Domi, but the offer is on hold until they (Arizona) can secure Tkachuk. He also ended the conversation with the words "E3" for some reason.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Four scouts have personally told me that he would go first in every draft since 1989 and that he might just be the best thing since sliced bread.

Another exec I spoke with also told me that Arizona is pushing hard to make a deal with the Leafs that would send Matthews and Marner to ARI for Strome, OEL and Domi, but the offer is on hold until they (Arizona) can secure Tkachuk. He also ended the conversation with the words "E3" for some reason.

As a Leafs fan I would be soooo mad if that happened

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Sounds like bull****.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Also heard that Laine went to the combine wearing stiletto high heels (adding 3" to his height) and that it the reason he aggravated his knee during testing.

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Also heard that Laine went to the combine wearing stiletto high heels (adding 3" to his height) and that it the reason he aggravated his knee during testing.

Waiting to see how many take this post as serious as your last.:laugh:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Your work is under appreciated. Though if you talked to the same scouts I spoke with, they probably mentioned that they believe Matthews might be a tier below Dustin Rose.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

****ing had me going there for a second. :laugh:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Oh you can hype players all you want, you however not entitled to make up facts like Toronto isn't over hyping Matthews.

How is Toronto over-hyping Matthews? He's not even the most hyped player in his own draft as the consensus #1.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Hyping = What Matthews is getting
Overhyping = what the #2 pick is getting

Very subtle (not subtle at all!!!) difference, but a difference non-the-less.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
By almost I read he is not quite sold on everyone as #1. The problem not so much rests with Matthews himself but with how in past the Maple Leafs somehow managed their prospects into marginal players. Hopefully with a new management committed to a better strategy they will be able to develop Matthews as a #1C player. Until that happens, I will hold judgement

Who has our current management turned into a marginal player?

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
When has a freaking 1st overall pick in a draft NOT been hyped? People were calling Dal Colle untouchable after he was drafted for God's sake. I'll hype Matthews as much as I damn well please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad