Stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199898

topelement.jpg

Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2080567

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
ijuka said:
Regardless of "that other guy", why is this thread so dead? Does no one just feel like looking up examples of Matthews's plays and analyse his play style / compile shift by shifts and look at what sorts of things he does in the way I like to do with "the other guy" or is it that Matthews is already a pretty well known and established asset so there's not many surprises left and not that much to discuss anymore?

I've been pretty disappointed with this thread.

I guess I'll go do some puck reliability stats for him in a random game to kill some time, say the USA vs Czechia match. Even though this is something the Americans or the Leafs fans are supposed to be doing...

Americans don't care about Matthews nearly as much as Finns care about Laine. Actually no country ever has cared about a prospect more than Finnish people care about Laine.

Leafs fans don't feel the need to obsessively argue for Matthews everyday because we're not arguing against the consensus. The vast majority of scouting services have Matthews first. The vast majority of Leafs fans agree with that. There's no need to craft arguments designed to sway people to our side. The lack of activity is a reflection of how comfortable and at peace we are with Matthews as our pick. Honestly, you would see so much more activity on this board from Leafs fans if the pick wasn't so obvious. Last year Toronto fans were somewhat divided over Marner, Strome and Hanifin and there was a lot more discussion and arguments.

Leafs fans have spent a lot more time and energy defending Marner, because Marner has detractors who question his ability to translate to the NHL. He needs defending, sometimes. Matthews does not. Matthews gets labelled as such a 'safe' pick for a reason, it's because there are no serious holes in his game for people to poke at.

aka Ude said:
The guy's a great player, but his confidence worries me a little bit. In interviews he just says what they want him to say. Guy has no own will.

Are you serious? It takes a ton of confidence to choose your own path and go to Europe to play pro instead of taking the traditional route for an American. To be frank, that takes balls. His interviews are exactly as boring as franchise centres like Crosby, Toews, Tavares, etc. Most leaders in the game are like that.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Are you serious? It takes a ton of confidence to choose your own path and go to Europe to play pro instead of taking the traditional route for an American. To be frank, that takes balls. His interviews are exactly as boring as franchise centres like Crosby, Toews, Tavares, etc. Most leaders in the game are like that.

No, I'm not serious. Just thought of those funny comments in player thread X saying that "he's got some serious attitude issues".

Matthews is polite and will be fine. Sometimes tho you'd want the biggest prospects to show some character and make themself more visible other than just in the rink.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Americans don't care about Matthews nearly as much as Finns care about Laine. Actually no country ever has cared about a prospect more than Finnish people care about Laine.

Leafs fans don't feel the need to obsessively argue for Matthews everyday because we're not arguing against the consensus. The vast majority of scouting services have Matthews first. The vast majority of Leafs fans agree with that. There's no need to craft arguments designed to sway people to our side. The lack of activity is a reflection of how comfortable and at peace we are with Matthews as our pick. Honestly, you would see so much more activity on this board from Leafs fans if the pick wasn't so obvious. Last year Toronto fans were somewhat divided over Marner, Strome and Hanifin and there was a lot more discussion and arguments.

Leafs fans have spent a lot more time and energy defending Marner, because Marner has detractors who question his ability to translate to the NHL. He needs defending, sometimes. Matthews does not. Matthews gets labelled as such a 'safe' pick for a reason, it's because there are no serious holes in his game for people to poke at.
Most of that is myself talking about him as a player.

For instance, compiling that puck reliability statistic thing for that one game, I learned many things about Matthews that I didn't know beforehand, certainly not from following this thread. I'd have expected there to be more discussion regarding how he plays and the kinds of things he likes to do regardless of any sort of a comparison to anyone.

One thing I was forced to pay specific attention to is that he's extremely aggressive against opposing players who are receiving a pass.

Last edited:

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Look at what the Jets homers did to the Laine threads and this is all Matthews gets? Even listed at 20 lbs under his actual weight lol

Cmon jawanda

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Look at what the Jets homers did to the Laine threads and this is all Matthews gets? Even listed at 20 lbs under his actual weight lol

Cmon jawanda

You don't need to pump a player who is the overwhelming top prospect.

Enjoy it. Leafs are drafting a superstar.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Cmon jawanda

We don't have to overhype Matthews in our thread.

Matthews doesn't have to overhype Matthews on the ice.

Matthews doesn't have to overhype Matthews in his interviews.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Not much to say other than he is still a pretty darn amazing prospect.

Just going to be a long week and a half until the draft. Then all sides can be completely solidified. The Leaf hype can really take off and those unhappy about that can start really unleashing the hate.
At least you guys get some useful information enclosed to the OP. Look at what they did to the Puljujärvi thread. They didn't even bother to give an OP to it, just reset the post count and continued from the last page of the previous thread. :laugh:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2088731
Puljujärvi just gets swept under the rug everywhere :laugh:. Third overall pick can't get no credit. Well maybe the discussion was so intense they had to keep it flowing....

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He definitely is, and this is the Auston Matthews thread, let's not turn this into a Matthews/Laine debate, you can praise Laine in another thread.

Well in fact it's not really possible, because if anyone praises Laine there as the best player in the draft, there comes right away an army of Leafs/Matthews fans whom angrily start bashing Laine and praising Matthews.

You guys seem to have it much easier here. You can praise Matthews in peace and no one comes to pick a fight about which one is better. I just came to check with a small cheeky remark and to see the reaction. Pretty much the reaction I expected. But just relax you guys. Both are great players and the future will tell which one is really better. I'm sure both will be magnificent anyway.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well in fact it's not really possible, because if anyone praises Laine there as the best player in the draft, there comes right away an army of Leafs/Matthews fans whom angrily start bashing Laine and praising Matthews.

You guys seem to have it much easier here. You can praise Matthews in peace and no one comes to pick a fight about which one is better. I just came to check with a small cheeky remark and to see the reaction. Pretty much the reaction I expected. But just relax you guys. Both are great players and the future will tell which one is really better. I'm sure both will be magnificent anyway.

No reason to.

Both will certainly be great players, but we will discuss Matthew's greatness only in this thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad