C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland
How about Jussi Jokinen with a better shot? Maybe better skating as well.

I know Jokinen doesn't usually enjoy a high esteem (at least in Finland), but all in all he is a good hockey player in all situations, similar to Saarela IMO.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
How about Jussi Jokinen with a better shot? Maybe better skating as well.

I know Jokinen doesn't usually enjoy a high esteem (at least in Finland), but all in all he is a good hockey player in all situations, similar to Saarela IMO.

I like Jokinen as a comparison too.

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
Very typical Saarela, good speed+ sharp wrister. His scoring pace is actually very impressive 0,4 goals per game, same as Laine :handclap: these kids would be top3 scorers if played all the games. And its even more impressive considering he had only 2 goals in first 17.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very typical Saarela, good speed+ sharp wrister. His scoring pace is actually very impressive 0,4 goals per game, same as Laine :handclap: these kids would be top3 scorers if played all the games. And its even more impressive considering he had only 2 goals in first 17.

It probably has a lot to do with being more confident now.

Why didn't Saarela get called up to the Finnish National Team? I see a few other young players did.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Why didn't Saarela get called up to the Finnish National Team? I see a few other young players did.

Saarela's team isn't likely to make very far on the playoffs so he will likely be on the first camp roster for the World Championship squad. For Aho and Laine on the other hand this is the only shot to test them with the national team before the World Championship's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Third in Liiga in goals per game, and first of all European Liiga players in goals per game. He's on pace for the best U-19 Liiga goals per game season since the 1989-1990 season.

perstakli

Jan 21, 2015

Because Jalonen is trying to win the World Champs, not please HFBoards or improve Saarela's draft stock.

So far, it looks like the NT might have a bit of a center dilemma when the WCs roll around, so Jalonen needs to make sure he gets to see all the options. As JJTT mentions, the success of the team the players are playing for also plays a role, as the training camp starts after the regular season in Europe ends - from the centers selected, at least Filppula, Lindgren, Niemi and Nättinen will be playing playoffs so this is the last chance for him to see them.

If Saarela keeps the pace up, he'll be selected to the NT training camp after his season ends at the same time as the regular season. If he does well, he probably has a decent shot at making the team due to his all around ability, depending on how the NHL playoffs shape up.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Because Jalonen is trying to win the World Champs, not please HFBoards or improve Saarela's draft stock.

He's drafted already. 89th pick, 2015, New York Rangers. It's in the thread title.

More on topic, I think him not being selected is simply because the center situation is pretty dire -- as others have pointed out -- and the need to explore options is quite urgent. You have to start from the top of the list when looking for candidates, and right now he's not quite there yet. Plus he has to consider the overall age of the team, since experience is still a factor in the international stage.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Looks like Saarela is bouncing back into 1st round talent territory after having a bad season last year. Seriously, if he would've been drafted say 20th OA last year, we would be pretty happy by his performance this year. Nice to see him taking a big step in his development.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Two more goals today. He's up to 17+12=29 points in 43 games.

On his stats:

He has been on fire for a half of the season already so it's looking more and more like he has bounced back to his earlier development curve. At this point, he can definitely be called a steal. Can't wait to see how his game will translate to the NHL. He is such a smart player with many high-end skills that I can't see him not panning out. If he manages to add a little more explosiveness to his skating, I can't see why he couldn't become a 60 point player in the NHL.

Then again, the fact that I can't see something doesn't really mean anything. :sarcasm:

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
As somebody said well on Finnish Icehockey forum Jatkoaika about Saarela case, in Lukko in his first game he made 1+1 but then he got to Dufvas doghouse and get injuries and more doghouse and more injuries, but in Ässät now youngsters don't get thrown to doghouse on every error, so Saarela have get more icetime and have developed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's tied for the lead in goals for a Finnish player in Liiga, and all the players tied with him have played more games. Pretty good for a late third round pick.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He's tied for the lead in goals for a Finnish player in Liiga, and all the players tied with him have played more games. Pretty good for a late third round pick.

Almost makes me want to start another classic discussion of "where would he go now if the 2015 draft was today?" ;)

I'd say he'd go somewhere in the mid-late first round.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad