C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

Tiger24

Dec 18, 2015
Finnish prospects seems to be on fire...

First 17 games: 2+4=6
Last 18 games: 12+4=16

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He has a very good shot. He shoots with a lot of velocity and his release is quick.

Yes, he does have a very good shot, especially for his age. Although not exactly as hard as Laine's and Pulju's shot, but he definitely has a quick release. And he seems to also have a real killer instinct. He seems to have almost everything that a player could wish for. Well ok, he lacks some size, but at least he is already pretty strong for his age, and knowing what kind of a shortish real powerhouse his father was, I think that Aleksi will not have too much problems with his a bit limited size. Great prospect all in all. A bit underrated in my opinion.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thats kind of how I assess him as a prospect. He doesn't have any weaknesses other than his height, and he's very strong and will battle with bigger players, so his size isn't really a problem. Really good all around player, not sure if he will be elite in any category in the NHL, but I think its safe to say that he will be a decent NHL player.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He is also a very good playmaker, although you wouldn't guess it from this season's stats. I think that around October he realized that he is a better scorer than anyone else on his team and started using his shot more and what a good decision it has been. However, I think that if you'd line him up with proper finishers his playmaking would show up some more. Now he is playing with average Liiga players, but I can't wait to see how he'll play with real NHL talent.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Yes, he does have a very good shot, especially for his age. Although not exactly as hard as Laine's and Pulju's shot, but he definitely has a quick release. And he seems to also have a real killer instinct. He seems to have almost everything that a player could wish for. Well ok, he lacks some size, but at least he is already pretty strong for his age, and knowing what kind of a shortish real powerhouse his father was, I think that Aleksi will not have too much problems with his a bit limited size. Great prospect all in all. A bit underrated in my opinion.

Quick release > shot strength.

The player with the quick release will outscore the player with a harder shot.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015

This is true. But still, in addition to his quick release, his shot is also very strong. He doesn't have the other abilities which make Tarasenko a really good goal scorer, but that wrister reminds me of him.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

Sure, I agree on this definitely. But I think it wouldn't hurt if Saarela would have even as hard shot as Pulju and Laine have. A quick release with a very hard shot is a deadly combination. OK, he's not even too much behind Pulju and Laine right now with the power of his shot.

Last edited:

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
I really like his simple, effective game. He was a constant producer at WJC and along with several other gold medalists from that team, there doesn't seem to be end of confidence. With the tools he has, I think he will be either 2-3 line C or top6 allround winger in the NHL.

Speed, acceleration, grade A release, strength compared to size, playmaking and IQ are his strengths, I just don't see him failing when I observe his progress as a prospect. Might turn out as a steal for NYR.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I think he has an NHL shot. :yo:

The fact that he finish 3rd in the hardest slapshot with finland u20 is just the cherry on the sunday. I play respectable caliber hockey and quick release is so important.. if you dont have it, good luck having a good shot from the slot in a fast paced game. Also loved his work on the face-off circle, somebody mentionned he was holding his own in a men league.. Very impressed with his overall play, similar as Seb Aho.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
The fact that he finish 3rd in the hardest slapshot with finland u20 is just the cherry on the sunday.

Did he? I remember that one article, but there were only 4 players from that team (Aleksi Saarela, Sami Niku, Jesse Puljujarvi and Patrik Laine). Don't think there was a competition where all players shot.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Did he? I remember that one article, but there were only 4 players from that team (Aleksi Saarela, Sami Niku, Jesse Puljujarvi and Patrik Laine). Don't think there was a competition where all players shot.

You are correct. However, I think that the only ones that could have had a legitimate chance to challenge Puljujärvi, Laine, and Saarela would have been Repo and perhaps Rantanen although I don't really recall ever seeing his slapper, he has a fine wrister though. Saarijärvi has also a good shot, but I don't think it has that kind of a top speed.

I also doubt (hope?) there was anyone that could challenge Niku for the weakest slapper. :laugh:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Thats kind of how I assess him as a prospect. He doesn't have any weaknesses other than his height, and he's very strong and will battle with bigger players, so his size isn't really a problem. Really good all around player, not sure if he will be elite in any category in the NHL, but I think its safe to say that he will be a decent NHL player.

I keep bringing this up but he reminds me of a not so tenacious but a bit more of a sniper (i guess he got it from his dad) Gallagher. They even look somewhat similar in my opinion :laugh:

20-25 goals and 20-25 assists are the type of stats i could see Saarela putting up in the NHL (if he gets to play with good players like Gallagher) while being a good all around player and the guy who sparks his team every once in a while.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
He reminds me a bit of Parise in the sense that his motor never stops running. Strong on his skates and can battle with bigger players along the boards, has a quick and accurate release. Has progressed quite well this season. If he can avoid injuries, I can't see how he wouldn't become an NHLer. Could be a real gem for the Rangers.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
In my opinion he relies more on skill and vision than Gallagher and Parise, but I agree that they share similarities. In my wildest dreams I compare him to Zetterberg.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
The fact that he finish 3rd in the hardest slapshot with finland u20 is just the cherry on the sunday. I play respectable caliber hockey and quick release is so important.. if you dont have it, good luck having a good shot from the slot in a fast paced game. Also loved his work on the face-off circle, somebody mentionned he was holding his own in a men league.. Very impressed with his overall play, similar as Seb Aho.

So would you define him as more of a Two-way player? Some guy who can get it done in all situations? And what do you think he excels at besides his shot?

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
So would you define him as more of a Two-way player? Some guy who can get it done in all situations? And what do you think he excels at besides his shot?
Two-way sniper center. The only player who comes to mind is Jeff Carter but he's much bigger.

Who would be a good comparable?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad