C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
imo its possible he'll be in the nhl

Very much so... I mean, he's the most mature 17 years old I've ever seen. If he's able to improve his skating a bit, I'd see him trying it out in the NHL next year.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
AHL/NHL imo if this what he's having isn't just a hot streak (I don't think it is).

I don't think its just a hot streak.. watching the isolation cams of him you can tell that he's just such a smart player and always seems to be in the right place and finding open spaces making plays easier even for people playing with him.. so even if his points were to drop off a bit it wouldn't worry me as long as he plays the same way

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yes.

Barkov made huge mistake. First one i've seen from him! :)
Agreed, terrible pass/turnover, forced Aalto to take a penalty to prevent a point blank scoring chance. Easily the biggest mistake I've seen Barkov make yet.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Horrible mistake from Barkov at the end. Haven't seen any mistakes from him so far but now he made an horrible mistake. It happens to every player. One big mistake in 11 games is kind of good for 17 year old. His overall game have been good tho. Excellent defensive game and PK, great at breaking up passes at neutral zone, excellent display of his skills and hockeyIQ.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah that pass was icky. But man, he just strips the puck off of any and everyone. I've seen at least 5 occasions where he just skates by the guy and steals the puck off his stick.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
His passing and IQ are elite. Not great high end speed, but that should not be a huge issue going forward. I could see him challenging Nathan MacKinnion for first overall. Very impressive player.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Yeah that pass was icky. But man, he just strips the puck off of any and everyone. I've seen at least 5 occasions where he just skates by the guy and steals the puck off his stick.

He's takeover machine like Datsyuk is. They both have alot of similarities. I have stated it over and over again but Barkov has chance to be annual selke trophy nominee and multiple winner if he developes as projected.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Tappara complete the comeback! Barkov was on the ice for the game winner, but didn't get a point. Good game to watch, not a great one for Barkov or anything, but he was still solid from what I saw.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He's takeover machine like Datsyuk is. They both have alot of similarities.

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again. He looks just like the Joe Thornton that we've seen over the past 3 years: Elite hockey IQ, absolutely controls the pace of the game and molds it to his will, that ability to thread the needle in seemingly impossible passes, strips the puck from any opponent at will, half-wall on the PP, offensive menace on the PK, ability to find open space, not the best skater but is faster than he looks due to a big stride, deceptive quickness, ability to spin and deke around defenseman that approach him so they have to give him space. Truly amazing from a guy who just turned 17, and I'll agree that there are some Datsyukian qualities to his game.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Attended the game tonight- aside from that one terrible pass, a solid game from Barkov. He got three IS stars (= best player of the game).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I've said it before and I'll say it again and again. He looks just like the Joe Thornton that we've seen over the past 3 years: Elite hockey IQ, absolutely controls the pace of the game and molds it to his will, that ability to thread the needle in seemingly impossible passes, strips the puck from any opponent at will, half-wall on the PP, offensive menace on the PK, ability to find open space, not the best skater but is faster than he looks due to a big stride, deceptive quickness, ability to spin and deke around defenseman that approach him so they have to give him space. Truly amazing from a guy who just turned 17, and I'll agree that there are some Datsyukian qualities to his game.
Agreed, from what I've seen of him Thornton is definitely the best comparison (the current, 2-way version of Thornton, as opposed to the absolute assist machine version). By no means do I think he's as good as Thornton right now, but he plays a similar style of game, and I think his upside is similar to current Thornton, maybe even better.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
So one assist for Barkov against the Blues?

Yeah he has now 15 points and 8 goals in 11 games. 1 point away from having most points in the league and he is #1 in goal scored in entire league. He logged over 21 minutes of ice time in game against blues. Won clear majority of his faceoffs. Was awarded as best player of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad