C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
He ment goal scorer Barkov has now 14 points and 8 of them have been goals.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe he meant on his team? Either way, it's extremely impressive what Barkov has been doing.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Really dangerous hit, surprised there was no penalty there.

Edit: Nice goal for KalPa, that's game. Once again I tuned in late in the game, I see Barkov had a goal and an assist, how did he look?

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Barkov's line has pretty clearly been the best line for Tappara today, and Barkov the best player on that line. Other Tappara lines have been pretty bad.

Barkov rarely makes mistakes and he wins a lot of puck battles, impressive for such a young player. He has an accurate wrister too.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Stats update for Barkov:

Games played: 10
Goals: 8 (tied for 1st in the league)
+/-: +5

Fun facts:
- He has points on almost half of Tappara's goals (14 points on 32 team goals)
- With Barkov on the ice Tappara are +5, with Barkov off the ice Tappara are -1 (this is ES and SH goals only, PP goals excluded as they always are in +/-)

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Stats update for Barkov:

Games played: 10
Goals: 8 (tied for 1st in the league)
+/-: +5

Fun facts:
- He has points on almost half of Tappara's goals (14 points on 32 team goals)
- With Barkov on the ice Tappara are +5, with Barkov off the ice Tappara are -1 (this is ES and SH goals only, PP goals excluded as they always are in +/-)

So, barkov has scored 25% of tappara's goals. isn't he more a playmaker??

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
So, barkov has scored 25% of tappara's goals. isn't he more a playmaker??
I think at the NHL level we'll see him transfer to a bit more of a playmaking role. I wouldn't really describe him as a "pass first" or "shoot first" player, he just makes the right play for the situation. Most of his goals seem to come from tap ins and quick shots after receiving a pass, he's not a sniper who really looks for his own shot (like a Jeff Carter, Phil Kessel, Alex Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk, etc. type player). If the shot is there, he'll take it, but he's a very willing and smart passer.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I think at the NHL level we'll see him transfer to a bit more of a playmaking role. I wouldn't really describe him as a "pass first" or "shoot first" player, he just makes the right play for the situation. Most of his goals seem to come from tap ins and quick shots after receiving a pass, he's not a sniper who really looks for his own shot (like a Jeff Carter, Phil Kessel, Alex Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk, etc. type player). If the shot is there, he'll take it, but he's a very willing and smart passer.

So much like Datsyuk.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
If Barkov played in the CHL would his draft stock be higher maybe 1st overall status? factoring his great production in a much superior league what would he have done in the CHL?

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
If Barkov played in the CHL would his draft stock be higher maybe 1st overall status? factoring his great production in a much superior league what would he have done in the CHL?

Its better for him to play against as tough competition as possible and get good support from home-crew litle longer, not going overseas so young.

I dont care where hes drafted, but it should be top 10 thought. Hes great player allready, probably NHL ready even.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Barkov could play NHL right now no doubt about that and this kid just turned 17 but IMO he should stay for 1 more year in FEL because he is getting very good coaching and mentoring right now. He would be better player and more grown up as an person. I actualy think that he could be too good for FEL but it doesen't harm his game to spend an extra year in FEL because he is one of the youngest players of this draft. He should give his all to get into sochi 2014 team. It is possible if he continues to develope like this. It might be bit of stretch but i think that he is getting games in the men national team this year. If he makes into WC team it would be excellent for him.

There is Tappara-Brynäs important ET game in Oct 15. We will probably see clash between Barkov and Elias Lindholm.

Last edited:

sinettiseura

Aug 2, 2011
Saw first full game of him yesterday (this season). Here are some thoughts:

-Skating has improved during summer quite a bit and he is fast enough to be a productive NHLer. Besides he has that rare ability to control game tempo so he doesen't has to be the most explosive guy. He plays always so calmly that it may bluff someone that he is very slow but he is suprisingly fast when it's needed. Those who has seen him only at U18 WJC or U20 WJC you should see him skate now. It really was the mono that slowed his skating at U18 WJC and at U20 WJC you have to remember that he was 16 years old player who's strength isn't skating. I was little dubious when people state that he was slow because of the mono eventhough I had seen about 10 FEL games of him last season. After seeing him yesterday I am sure that mono really had a significant affect.

-Kid is huge as it has been mentioned. When he adds even more muscle he is going to be very hard to stop in corners. He has very good puck protection skills and after adding more muscle his corner play will be much like Jagr's. Small Dmen are going to be in trouble.

-He is NHL ready next season if he is able to avoid injures. IMO he should leave FEL after this season because after adding few more pounds next summer he wil be unstoppable in FEL.

sinettiseura

Aug 2, 2011
Barkov could play NHL right now no doubt about that and this kid just turned 17 but IMO he should stay for 1 more year in FEL because he is getting very good coaching and mentoring right now. He would be better player and more grown up as an person. I actualy think that he could be too good for FEL but it doesen't harm his game to spend an extra year in FEL because he is one of the youngest players of this draft. He should give his all to get into sochi 2014 team. It is possible if he continues to develope like this. It might be bit of stretch but i think that he is getting games in the men national team this year. If he makes into WC team it would be excellent for him.

There is Tappara-Brynäs important ET game in Oct 15. We will probably see clash of Barkov and Elias Lindholm.

I hadn't read this post when I wrote mine. I agree that he gets very good mentoring and I think that he should train with Ville Nieminen next summer but leave FEL after this season.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Saw first full game of him yesterday (this season). Here are some thoughts:

Yep, Agree with pretty much everything you said. For me Barkov is the first Finnish prospect for ages (or ever) who realistically can step to NHL right away and succeed.

His reach compensates his lack of explosiviness as a skater. Opponent can outskate him but they cannot take the puck away because of his reach, soft hands and big body. He might be even better in the NA rink becuase he really excells in corners and traffic areas.

sinettiseura

Aug 2, 2011
Yep, Agree with pretty much everything you said. For me Barkov is the first Finnish prospect for ages (or ever) who realistically can step to NHL right away and succeed.

His reach compensates his lack of explosiviness as a skater. Opponent can outskate him but they cannot take the puck away because of his reach, soft hands and big body. He might be even better in the NA rink becuase he really excells in corners and traffic areas.

Yep, he plays with long stick and which increases his reach even more. I agree that north american rink could be more suitable for him than european.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
If the Leafs draft him he can come over right away between Kessel and Lupul and Barb Underhill our skating coach can help him improve his explosiveness in his stride :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad