News Article: "Bylsma’s Tactics Deserve Scrutiny"

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Bylsma saw the game completely different than everyone else on the planet. His press conferences were simply astounding. You really had to wonder how his brain functioned. Seriously he was unable to put a coherent thought together most of his pressers. The ones after playoff loses were like Charles Manson talking about hockey. Just incoherent rambling.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Bylsma saw the game completely different than everyone else on the planet. His press conferences were simply astounding. You really had to wonder how his brain functioned. Seriously he was unable to put a coherent thought together most of his pressers. The ones after playoff loses were like Charles Manson talking about hockey. Just incoherent rambling.
This made me think of Michel Therrien's post game speeches... in French! :laugh: Guy hardly speaks for a reason.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Terrible coach, only 1 Cup and Jack Adams.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
- speed over quality on the breakout?
- stretch pass all day everyday?
- weird lines?
- weird usage?
- failing to put players in a position to succeed?
- not understand formations and interactions on the power play?
- stubbornness?

BAH GAWD. That's Disco Dan's music!

:laugh:

Fordy

May 28, 2008

this, despite the fact he was treated with absolute kid gloves for the longest time. it was like he always felt so put on the spot that anyone would even just question something they did in the game

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I also found it weird that Buffalo was heavily injured this year. Next thing you know, blood clots and cancer will be in their locker room. All thanks to Dan Bylsma. That's the only explanation, IMO. He must have taken the Pens medical staff with him.

But seriously, **** Dan Bylsma. I'm happy he's being exposed. It was pretty telling when Tallon recommended him for the USA job, but then wouldn't even hire him for Florida when a spot was open. :laugh:

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I also found it weird that Buffalo was heavily injured this year. Next thing you know, blood clots and cancer will be in their locker room. All thanks to Dan Bylsma. That's the only explanation, IMO. He must have taken the Pens medical staff with him.

But seriously, **** Dan Bylsma. I'm happy he's being exposed. It was pretty telling when Tallon recommended him for the USA job, but then wouldn't even hire him for Florida when a spot was open. :laugh:

Dan Bylsma was offered the job, but turned it down.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Dan Bylsma was offered the job, but turned it down.

I believe he was offered the job at a certain salary, but since it wasn't more than what he'd make sitting on his couch, he tried to negotiate it higher. Florida was not willing to go higher.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Neal was at least made to play on his off wing. He was good at finding a soft spot and opening up for the one timer. The one that made me scratch my head was Iggy. Hof career as a rw? Switch, we need Duper on that top line.:shakehead

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Neal was at least made to play on his off wing. He was good at finding a soft spot and opening up for the one timer. The one that made me scratch my head was Iggy. Hof career as a rw? Switch, we need Duper on that top line.:shakehead

Neal's defense suffered though. He could've put Iginla & Neal each in their natural wings with Malkin but overthought it.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I thought you'd drop by. Tell us about Craig Adams too

Cullen is good enough to replace his play. Great pker, strong leadership, motivates the team with his hard work. Would be in the Pens best interest to lock Cullen up

Except Dan turned it down... :facepalm:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Cullen is good enough to replace his play. Great pker, strong leadership, motivates the team with his hard work. Would be in the Pens best interest to lock Cullen up

Except Dan turned it down... :facepalm:

Cullen is 39.... The list of hockey players who dont fall off a cliff by 40 is tiny... Iffer him league min and if he doesnt take it cya... Well that or risk dead money likeduper or soon Kunitz

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
As usual, the truth lies in the middle.

Bylsma was offered the Panthers HC job. They said hell no when they realized what he wanted in terms of salary. He's a decent coach who thinks he's the best. He ain't.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I don't remember Bylsma with the duos thing. I thought that was an MJ thing. As for line combos, he did shuffle a lot other than KCD.

Yeah, I don't remember that either. MJ definitely made a big deal of utilizing duos but seemed to me Bylsma was always three man regular forward unit guy:

Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
KCD
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal (2011-12 season)
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal

etc.

Those all were lines for quite long periods of time.

I don't remember Bylsma talking about Kunitz and Crosby, or Malkin and Neal as duos. Most of the time they had regular linemate.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Bylsma has some things going for him. Especially as a motivator who kept selling our players his stupid system and they defended it and him to his last day. Compare to how fast they tuned out Johnston. Too bad Bylsma is just too smug to recognize and fix his own faults. He'll never learn, and that's what will keep him from becoming a really good coach.

Cullen is 39.... The list of hockey players who dont fall off a cliff by 40 is tiny... Iffer him league min and if he doesnt take it cya... Well that or risk dead money likeduper or soon Kunitz

Offering Cullen league minimum would mean 225k less than he makes now. That's insulting after how well he's done this season. I'd offer him another 1 year deal with a slight raise to about 1 million. This way he gets rewarded/motivated and we keep his services and could still assign him to WBS with no cap penalty if the wheels fall off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad