News Article: "Bylsma’s Tactics Deserve Scrutiny"

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I watch some of their games.

He puts Scuderi, I mean Gorges, out there in 3 on 3 OT situations.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't remember Bylsma with the duos thing. I thought that was an MJ thing. As for line combos, he did shuffle a lot other than KCD. The stubbornness definitely rings true. Sorry Buffalo.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
happy to see that not only is bylsma as dumb as i thought but also as arrogant. he learned exactly nothing from his mistakes

looks like buffalo has reporters with enough balls or knowledge to challenge him. not a good sign when he's already pulling out a "scoring goals that aren't going in" equivalent not even a season in. took 4 here to get to that level of refusal to acknowledge reality

he really thinks he's better than everyone. he's better than common wisdom and basic logic, or moment

unless it's a pascal dupuis or craig adams moment. he didn't get any moments as an 18 year old. why should eichel?

hopefully they run him out of buffalo and that's it for him in the nhl

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jesus... that article could have been written in Pittsburgh. :laugh: Even with the Bowman stuff.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
About the only thing that's changed is that he's not somehow getting an unrealistic point total with a roster filled with fringe NHLers.

Bylsma is too full of himself to ever fully change.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I'll never understand Bylsma's obsession with playing wingers on their off side. Is it like to prove that he is smart? Even though James Neal put up the numbers he did here, it's like why did you move him?

Neal was young enough to be able to at least try him out on his off wing to see if it works. There was no harm being done.

But man, asking a vet in his mid 30's to scoot along to the other side is and will always be unforgivable.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Neal was young enough to be able to at least try him out on his off wing to see if it works. There was no harm being done.

But man, asking a vet in his mid 30's to scoot along to the other side is and will always be unforgivable.

But, it wasn't like we were stacked on LW. Also, according to Neal, it was like the moment he got there he was told to play his off side.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Watching Bylsma coach the first semi-talented team Buffalo's had in 3 or so years into the ground is the worst :cry:

Several "highlights" from Disco Dan. He...
Exhausted RoR before his injury by consistently playing him 20-22+ minutes a night against nothing but top competition despite having a 3rd line comprised of E. Kane-Johan Larsson-Gionta that could have successfully taken some of those tough minutes and gotten RoR's minutes down to 19 or so per game.

Played Brian Gionta in the top 6 with ample PP time to no positive effect for about 25 or so games to start the year.

Plays Gionta in OT over Sam Reinhart/Zemgus Girgensons/literally any other top 9 forward.

Always plays E.Kane with Eichel even though 40+ games of evidence has shown they're terrible together, produce no offense, and get scored on a ton. Kane-Larsson and Eichel-Girgensons have proven to be effective duos in a few short stints (also, wtf is with Bylsma's "pairs" thing?) but god forbid we play them together regularly.

Keeps horrible lines together and/or juggles lines that are succeeding, but refuses to try new tactics to see if they would produce improvements (i.e. trying Eichel or RoR on the wing, playing Reinhart or Girgensons at center, etc).

Cannot keep lines straight after any powerplays or penalty kills.

Doesn't play Eichel in the Ovi/Stammer spot on the PP despite him having a wicked one timer and scoring some goals from that area with his wrister. Actually routinely plays guys out of position on the PP, resulting in 0 one timer opportunities.

Team never uses short passes to move through the neutral zone, instead opting for desperate 2 line home run breakaway passes, which result in losing the puck or an icing.

Keeps Gorges on the top pairing even though he's an anchor to Ristolainen.

Team still has 5 v. 5 scoring issues that are comparable to last season despite adding RoR, Eichel, Reinhart, and Kane.

Team consistently looks unprepared for 5 on 3s--seriously, I don't think we've scored on one this year--and OT.

Tim Murray seems less than enamored with him, based on some small public disagreements they've had in the paper, so I'm hoping if Bylsma bombs again next year, he'll get canned. Dude is trash. When the team succeeds, it's generally in spite of what he does, rather than because of it.

Last edited:

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh

Team never uses short passes to move through the neutral zone, instead opting for desperate 2 line home run breakaway passes, which result in losing the puck or an icing.

A lot of things have already been touched on, but this was always one of the most frustrating things for me. Long passes through the entire neutral zone to a guy standing still at the far blue line.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This quote in the article certainly reminds of his time in Pittsburgh.

A lot of this gnawing feeling grows from Bylsma’s stubbornness, a trait you heard plenty about from folks in Pittsburgh. A bad home record is often a product of not getting the right matchups on the ice when you should be able to.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

:laugh: The patented Dan Bylsma stretch pass-or-nothing strategy! Good to see he learned absolutely nothing from his time in Pittsburgh.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Ah yes, the stretch pass.
Get north quick.
The DB way.

One thing that all new players find in DB's system is that it's very difficult for players to grasp. I remember when Iginla first came and they had a clip of him talking to Neal and Iggy said something to the effect of "how bout that system. it's different eh?".

I also remember Beau Bennett mentioning the difference between DB's system to MJ's(the good one when he first came). Beau mentioned that you had zones you had to be in, in Bylsma's. Said this about the forecheck and if you forechecked out of your zone, you'd get hell for it/benched. Under MJ(when he first came), he wanted pressure on the puck and didn't give a damn about zones.

So in this convoluted system he has, the guys who follow it to the T, he favors.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Doesn't play Eichel in the Ovi/Stammer spot on the PP despite him having a wicked one timer and scoring some goals from that area with his wrister. Actually routinely plays guys out of position on the PP, resulting in 0 one timer opportunities.

He had this thing with us where he used to send out 5 left handed players on 5 on 3s because, and this is a direct quote, "that gives us more one-time options."

So I expect he'd disagree with you, even though I certainly wouldn't.

Really odd guy. He gets convinced of stuff that only makes sense to him. Up a goal, one minute remaining, over the boards goes the fourth line and the two worst defensemen.

I should go look for my post from training camp where I guaranteed that Gionta would spend half the year on the first powerplay unit. Veteran, American, leader, try-hard...there was just no way he wouldn't be given a role that was more prominent than his capabilities.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, alot of things DB did here were just mind scratchingly stupid.
Very stubborn coach.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yea, alot of things DB did here were just mind scratchingly stupid.
Very stubborn coach.

I'd like to see how the Buffalo GM will deal with it. Will he eventually shove a foot up Bylsma's ass, or will he just be bestest buddies with Bylsma like Shero was?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Coach Dink doesn't know how to match lines at home...

6eb25e48da1727d86c6f81bf2f5be0d5.jpg

This is, like, 90% lifted from this board's "DB Hate" threads.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He had this thing with us where he used to send out 5 left handed players on 5 on 3s because, and this is a direct quote, "that gives us more one-time options."

I think he was questioned on it once after they failed on the 5 on 3 with 5 LH players and he was like "It worked once before" or something to that effect. It summed up Bylsma perfectly. It was when they had Jokinen and he just wanted to send out the best offensive players without thinking about handedness. Bylsma was brutal at interviews by the end, though.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
- speed over quality on the breakout?
- stretch pass all day everyday?
- weird lines?
- weird usage?
- failing to put players in a position to succeed?
- not understand formations and interactions on the power play?
- stubbornness?

BAH GAWD.

Never heard any of that before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad