Buyouts?

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
1) Bertuzzi - Shocked he was signed to a 2-year deal.
2) Quincey - If he plays like he did after being acquired, during this short season, he will might be bought out.
3) Mule - Big contract and the mule is evolving into an oft injured show pony.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
1) Bertuzzi - Shocked he was signed to a 2-year deal.
2) Quincey - If he plays like he did after being acquired, during this short season, he will might be bought out.
3) Mule - Big contract and the mule is evolving into an oft injured show pony.

I don't think Quincey will get bought out. He has one year left next season and will be a RFA.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Check this out:

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/lebrun-offers-more-cba-details-insight-on-luongo-rule

Looks like there's going to be a new rule punishing teams that have players who retire with years left on their contracts - as well as any other team that has had that player since the deal was signed.

This doesn't really apply for the Wings, who don't have any really egregious cap dodging deals. It could apply heavily to teams like the Hawks.

Do the Devils take this opportunity to buy out Kovalchuk? Dude's got about $85 mil left on his deal so it would seem impossible, but does anyone think this guy is going to play until he's 42? They could have 4, 5, 6 years with major dead cap space.

I wonder if they'll include any kind of KHL clause - he may not "retire", but he may leave the league if the KHL decides they're not going to leave contracted NHLers alone.

edit - I guess Z and Franzen's deals both go until they're 41, but their hits are lower than Kovalchuk's and neither has the KHL risk that he does.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Check this out:

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/lebrun-offers-more-cba-details-insight-on-luongo-rule

Looks like there's going to be a new rule punishing teams that have players who retire with years left on their contracts - as well as any other team that has had that player since the deal was signed.

This doesn't really apply for the Wings, who don't have any really egregious cap dodging deals. It could apply heavily to teams like the Hawks.

Do the Devils take this opportunity to buy out Kovalchuk? Dude's got about $85 mil left on his deal so it would seem impossible, but does anyone think this guy is going to play until he's 42? They could have 4, 5, 6 years with major dead cap space.

I wonder if they'll include any kind of KHL clause - he may not "retire", but he may leave the league if the KHL decides they're not going to leave contracted NHLers alone.

edit - I guess Z and Franzen's deals both go until they're 41, but their hits are lower than Kovalchuk's and neither has the KHL risk that he does.

Wow, that's interesting... and you're right about Franzen and Z. Their contracts look a little more scary (the Mule's more-so). I wonder if this rule will drive buyouts for players that might not otherwise get them?

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
What about a buyout and sign for cheaper?

That's against the rules:

"...any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team during the upcoming season, not by waivers, not by trade and not by free-agent signing."

And don't buyout Quincey... Even if he doesn't improve from last year (unlikely), he's still better value than some other potential buyouts.

bgkennedy19

Jan 24, 2011
Any potentials players we could trade for and then buy out next year since we don't seem to have any guaranteed buyouts? Is that allowed?

Dmen with no NTC, since have the biggest need there.

Komisarik - Toronto (has NTC but doesnt get fulltime icetime)
Seidenberg - Boston
Montador -Hawks
Salvador - NJ (would love Volchenkov but has NTC)
Meszarojs - Philly
Klesa - Yotes
Schultz/Hamer - Wash

Very brief list as I am at work counting hours til puck drop next sat.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Any potentials players we could trade for and then buy out next year since we don't seem to have any guaranteed buyouts? Is that allowed?

Dmen with no NTC, since have the biggest need there.

Komisarik - Toronto (has NTC but doesnt get fulltime icetime)
Seidenberg - Boston
Montador -Hawks
Salvador - NJ (would love Volchenkov but has NTC)
Meszarojs - Philly
Klesa - Yotes
Schultz/Hamer - Wash

Very brief list as I am at work counting hours til puck drop next sat.

I don't see the Wings trading with the Hawks, and I don't see them trading for someone with the intention of turning around and buying him out - there will probably be a rule against it anyway.

Some of those guys you mentioned might make good long term pickups though.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Highly doubt the Wings buy out anyone unless someone has a terrible year this season.
They have plenty of cap space even with the reduction in cap next year.

I think they'll make a minor trade soon though as Joey MacDonald was promised he'd be moved if he wasn't going to be in the NHL this season.

Major Pipedream but nothing would make me happier than convincing Lidstrom to come back for one more season since its only 48 games.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I think Franzen and maybe Samuelsson gets bought ought. Samuelsson especially if Holland is smart. Chicago WILL cut Hossa loose after this season. They don't have any choice in the matter or it's cap hell if they don't. Clear a space for his return and then sign a guy like Michael Ryder.... Oh man...

Franzen to me is an obvious buy out or trade candidate. His contract structure will really hurt us if he retires early. Perhaps he can be used as trade bait to bring back an Anton Volchenkov/Zibynek Michalek-esque defender in return... Though Franzen's contract still poses the same threat if he traded at least get something back we could use.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Franzen and maybe Samuelsson gets bought ought. Samuelsson especially if Holland is smart. Chicago WILL cut Hossa loose after this season. They don't have any choice in the matter or it's cap hell if they don't. Clear a space for his return and then sign a guy like Michael Ryder.... Oh man...

Franzen to me is an obvious buy out or trade candidate. His contract structure will really hurt us if he retires early. Perhaps he can be used as trade bait to bring back an Anton Volchenkov/Zibynek Michalek-esque defender in return... Though Franzen's contract still poses the same threat if he traded at least get something back we could use.

Keep on dreaming. I just don't see that Hossa-case happening. If you didn't know, those are made as a full amount of the contract. Chicago would have to pay 32 million for Hossa about that buyout. No. One. Does. That. Especially a GM that signed him.

They could maybe try to trade him to some team with enough cap space. There isn't any kind of NTC at the contract.

Same goes for Franzen. And it isn't even a bad deal! :help:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
No short contract will be bought out, plus Wings don't have a bad one in my mind. A short contract with reasonable cap hit = trade asset, not buyout fodder. Z(captain) & Kron(prime years) won't be bought out.

I think it's gonna be Franzen or nobody. As much as they like Mule, I think he frustrates them. His cap hit is not a problem, but he's injury prone and his contract isn't giving the extra value (I think) they originally thought. There's a reasonable chance his body quits on him the next 2-3 years and he's signed for another 7. They have this shortened season and the full next season to evaluate. If he shows regression, I wouldn't hesitate to buy him out in the summer of 2014.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Keep on dreaming. I just don't see that Hossa-case happening. If you didn't know, those are made as a full amount of the contract. Chicago would have to pay 32 million for Hossa about that buyout. No. One. Does. That. Especially a GM that signed him.

They could maybe try to trade him to some team with enough cap space. There isn't any kind of NTC at the contract.

Same goes for Franzen. And it isn't even a bad deal! :help:

Thank you for flaming me. Get over yourself. Now watch as I demonstrate you're wrong.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Sharp ($5.900m)
Michael Frolik ($2.333m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Marcus Kruger ($0.900m) / Jimmy Hayes ($0.875m)
Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.565m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.383m)
Nick Leddy ($1.117m) / Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m)
Steve Montador ($2.750m)
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,453,461; BONUSES: $537,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $3,384,039

This is Chicago's situation. They have four spots to fill, two of them being top six positions. Oh yeah, and they have only three million in cap space to deal with. OH YEAH, AND they only have one buyout available since they are handcuffed into buying out Rostislav Olesz or be in cap hell again. Do you wanna call me out of my mind? Hossa's contract makes him the most obvious buyout candidate. Even the Blackhawks board thinks that way. Hossa's contract punishes the Hawks future wise if he retires early AND the amount of cap space that it would give them would allow them to make signings and moves with cap space to boot. This isn't being out of my mind, this is common sense. Sometimes you make mistakes and sometimes you have to bight the bullet and suffer the consequences. It's either shell out the money and send Hossa packing, or Cap Hell and a very shallow team. I'll take shelling out money and more maneuverability over Cap Hell thank you very much.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
No short contract will be bought out, plus Wings don't have a bad one in my mind. A short contract with reasonable cap hit = trade asset, not buyout fodder. Z(captain) & Kron(prime years) won't be bought out.

I think it's gonna be Franzen or nobody. As much as they like Mule, I think he frustrates them. His cap hit is not a problem, but he's injury prone and his contract isn't giving the extra value (I think) they originally thought. There's a reasonable chance his body quits on him the next 2-3 years and he's signed for another 7. They have this shortened season and the full next season to evaluate. If he shows regression, I wouldn't hesitate to buy him out in the summer of 2014.

The thing is, FA 2013 is very intriguing and we have a full roster now that not even our prospects can come up. If Franzen isn't traded, I think he plus a Samuelsson or Bertuzzi is bought out to create roster space.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Thank you for flaming me. Get over yourself. Now watch as I demonstrate you're wrong.

This is Chicago's situation. They have four spots to fill, two of them being top six positions. Oh yeah, and they have only three million in cap space to deal with. OH YEAH, AND they only have one buyout available since they are handcuffed into buying out Rostislav Olesz or be in cap hell again. Do you wanna call me out of my mind? Hossa's contract makes him the most obvious buyout candidate. Even the Blackhawks board thinks that way. Hossa's contract punishes the Hawks future wise if he retires early AND the amount of cap space that it would give them would allow them to make signings and moves with cap space to boot. This isn't being out of my mind, this is common sense. Sometimes you make mistakes and sometimes you have to bight the bullet and suffer the consequences. It's either shell out the money and send Hossa packing, or Cap Hell and a very shallow team. I'll take shelling out money and more maneuverability over Cap Hell thank you very much.

I can bet 1000 dollars with you about this. Hossa is not a 32 million dollar mistake. They trade him, or they trade Hjalmarsson or do something else. But will not buy him out. That amount of money matters more than anything else.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The thing is, FA 2013 is very intriguing and we have a full roster now that not even our prospects can come up. If Franzen isn't traded, I think he plus a Samuelsson or Bertuzzi is bought out to create roster space.

Sammy and Bert just signed their deals, yeah a new CBA causes some headaches but it isn't Detroit's way to do things like Philly. And they're only on stop gap deals, Franzen is signed for a long time. Kenny loves his depth, he'll gladly have 18 NHL ready forwards without having to worry about waivers like now.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I can bet 1000 dollars with you about this. Hossa is not a 32 million dollar mistake. They trade him, or they trade Hjalmarsson or do something else. But will not buy him out. That amount of money matters more than anything else.

It's NOT $32 MILLION. THAT'S NOT HOW A BUYOUT WORKS. It'll cost them $19.2 Million spread out over 16 years averaging $1.32 Million per year. Trading him won't work, because they are still hit with the cap penalty if he retires. And who are they getting back for Hjalmarsson? Huh? What's his cap hit gonna be? Did you consider that? Huh?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
His buyout cost after the 13/14 season is 11.6 million. 17.5 million worth of salary and the buy out is 2/3 of the remainings.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator/?player_id=292&buyout_y=2014&buyout_m=06&buyout_d=15

Why are buying him out after 2013-14? They need that salary cap relief for the 2013-14 season. The drop is at next summer.

Yeah, I forgot the 2/3 rule, but still that 2/3 per 32 million left is +20 million.

We don't see a Hossa buyout. Like I said, the money matters. Owners don't what to throw the money in the air. They are maybe crazy and have willingness to overpay for some players, but then you get something. It's just time wasting to speculate with these. Trade speculation is just fine.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am a little surprised that so many in the cast off not old guy group are happy to welcome back Hossa. Just saying seems a little hypocritical to me. He turns 34 tomorrow, now that is fine for some around here, just saying if you're buying out Franzen because he is older and you're worried, hope you have Hossa coming on a 3 year deal when he comes back and don't want to hear a thing about him being a playoff performer. Also he has only had major surgery on both shoulders if I remember right and a very serious concussion within the last couple years....

Buying out Franzen would probably be stupid. But if they are doing it I hope it is to make a big play on a Perry or trade that space for something younger, not bring back Hossa.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Why are buying him out after 2013-14? They need that salary cap relief for the 2013-14 season. The drop is at next summer.

Yeah, I forgot the 2/3 rule, but still that 2/3 per 32 million left is +20 million.

We don't see a Hossa buyout. Like I said, the money matters. Owners don't what to throw the money in the air. They are maybe crazy and have willingness to overpay for some players, but then you get something. It's just time wasting to speculate with these. Trade speculation is just fine.

It's about $1 million per year, that kind of money is what the owners wipe their behinds with. That's what you conveniently left out. And it would be idiotic for any owner to put their team through cap hell like that. It makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad