Buyouts?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It'll cost them $19.2 Million spread out over 16 years averaging $1.32 Million per year.

It's about $1 million per year, that kind of money is what the owners wipe their behinds with. That's what you conveniently left out. And it would be idiotic for any owner to put their team through cap hell like that. It makes no sense.
It's not split like a normal buyout.

http://thehockeywriters.com/compliance-buyouts-nhl/

- Players could be bought out for two-thirds of their remaining salary
- Money owed to the player had to be paid out over the remaining length of the terminated contract — unlike Ordinary-Course Buyouts (which teams can exercise each offseason) where owed money is paid out over twice the length of the contract
- Teams could not pay owed money in a lump sum
- Players could not re-sign with the original team until after the 2005-06 season
- Compliance buyouts did not count against the team’s salary cap, nor did they count against the total player compensation for that year

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's about $1 million per year, that kind of money is what the owners wipe their behinds with. That's what you conveniently left out. And it would be idiotic for any owner to put their team through cap hell like that. It makes no sense.

We will see, but a buyout outside the system might not work the same way. I am not positive you can apply the one million cap geek number. In actuality until we see it confirmed, we don't know how this system functions until they release the new CBA. It could very well be a lump sum payment. That or an actual payment of the amount owed each year. We will see, but I don't think that can be stated as fact.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
It's NOT $32 MILLION. THAT'S NOT HOW A BUYOUT WORKS. It'll cost them $19.2 Million spread out over 16 years averaging $1.32 Million per year. Trading him won't work, because they are still hit with the cap penalty if he retires. And who are they getting back for Hjalmarsson? Huh? What's his cap hit gonna be? Did you consider that? Huh?

If the amnesty buyouts adhere to the same rules as standard buyouts, then you'd have to think Hossa is as good as gone.

As far as Wings buyouts, Franzen is really the only likely candidate, though Bertuzzi and Samuelsson would be my first two choices since they have 35+ deals with NTCs past this season, and they're clogging up the pipeline.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What is wrong with this roster?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Kyle Beach ($1.171m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Jeremy Morin ($0.887m) / Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Jimmy Hayes ($0.875m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.565m)
Bryan Bickell ($0.542m) / Marcus Kruger ($2.400m) / Ben Smith ($0.563m)
Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) / Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.383m)
Nick Leddy ($3.500m) / Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m)
Adam Clendening ($0.925m)

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Back-up ($1.150m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,266,000; BONUSES: $980,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,034,000

Season 2013-14 isn't any kind of problem for the Blackhawks. I gave decent payraises for Kruger and Leddy.

After 2013-14, they have lots of extensions coming, and that could lead to cap hell. But there's also lots of cheap prospects pushing in. And the cap will probably go up again some millions.

Capgeek somehow had some extra "ghost" contract there when using that calculator. I think it was Olesz. I showes a roster with 24 contracts, even though there was 23 visible. When I counted these 23 salaries manually, I got a different total, less than the calculator shows. That manually calculated value is up there.

If they are going to buy somthing out, it could be Olesz and Frolik. Totally useless guys. Then trade Montador somewhere and raise Clendening up. They can live with that Hossa contract or trade him.

I'm still ready to take that 1000 dollar bet, that they won't buy Marian Hossa out in the next two years. They'll do some other moves, or trade him.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Back-up ($1.150m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

Season 2013-14 isn't any kind of problem for the Blackhawks. I gave decent payraises for Kruger and Leddy.

After 2013-14, they have lots of extensions coming, and that could lead to cap hell. But there's also lots of cheap prospects pushing in. And the cap will probably go up again some millions.

Capgeek somehow had some extra "ghost" contract there when using that calculator. I think it was Olesz. I showes a roster with 24 contracts, even though there was 23 visible. When I counted these 23 salaries manually, I got a different total, less than the calculator shows. That manually calculated value is up there.

If they are going to buy somthing out, it could be Olesz and Frolik. Totally useless guys. Then trade Montador somewhere and raise Clendening up. They can live with that Hossa contract or trade him.

I'm still ready to take that 1000 dollar bet, that they won't buy Marian Hossa out in the next two years. They'll do some other moves, or trade him.

What happened to Montador's 2.75 million?? Sorry read later, he has a NTC just so you know.

The Hawks are probably going to have to buy out Hjalmarsson or Hossa. Unless they do what they really should think harder about doing and trade Kane.

Then again I really don't care as a Wings fan what they do. They are going to have some problems though which is good for us.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

Frolik and Olesz might be more expendable, but they're also waivable/tradable, and are only under contract for one more season after this.

I think the issue isn't with salary as much as it is the contract itself and the way it's structured. Keith is another one that might cause trouble down the road, but I'd think they'd rather keep him over Hossa.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Back-up ($1.150m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

I don't have 1000 dollars to bet. And I'm not a gambler when it comes to money. They aren't going to buy out Frolik because his contract expires soon (next year, I gather), and it's not a serious cap hit anyways, so it's not like it frees up any space. Anyways, there is absolutely no offensive depth on that roster at all. It's just Kane, Toews, Hossa, and Sharp. There's still the problem with Montador and a NTC, and you still have to consider what's coming back because chances are the Hawks aren't going to get rid of someone for free in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->