Buyouts?

bgkennedy19

Jan 24, 2011
So each team gets 2. Is it 1 this year and 1 next year or can a team use both now.
Also, once bought out, do they immediately become free agents or does the team get a window to negoiate a new contract?

Who on the wings should/could get bought out? Frazen, Z?

Who on other teams that could be bought would the wings be interested in?

zombi

I D D Q D
Dec 27, 2010
Michigan
I could have sworn that each team gets 2 next season and nothing during this shortened season.

And....buying out our next Captain? Me no thinks so.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
So each team gets 2. Is it 1 this year and 1 next year or can a team use both now.
Also, once bought out, do they immediately become free agents or does the team get a window to negoiate a new contract?

Who on the wings should/could get bought out? Frazen, Z?

Who on other teams that could be bought would the wings be interested in?

tumblr_lxcw2du6Px1qcji8c.gif

Would would the Red Wings buyout Zetterberg? He's the next captain and an important piece to this team.

I don't think we'll hear about who get's bought out this season anyways. They have that option and they'll wait until the offseason to see if that is necessary. Again, I only see three options for a buyout: Bert, Sammy and Franzen. Franzen is going to have to come back and work his ass off to make sure he doesn't get the axe.

The others can be traded, but I think Holland built this team knowing the cap would decrease and I don't see him buying anyone out.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Is it a buyout or an amnesty? An Amnesty means there is not cap penalty and the player being amnesty had to be on the roster at the time the lockout ended.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Is it a buyout or an amnesty? An Amnesty means there is not cap penalty and the player being amnesty had to be on the roster at the time the lockout ended.

No cap penalty, $ applies to players' 50%.

How many guys were not on the roster? Are you referring to the Redden type guys?

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
So can they buy out guys this year or does it start next year?

Next year, the cap "goes down" to $64.7 million in '13-14 and teams will use the buy outs to get under the new cap.

This year, the cap is $70.2 million (pro-rated for a full season)...no teams can buy out players for this year.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Realistically, I doubt they'll be buying anyone out.

Maybe they buy out a veteran but most guys contracts are up after next year. You wonder about Cleary and Bertuzzi's health beyond this year. A retirement would get you out of a contract as well...Rafalski walked with a year left on his deal.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Maybe they buy out a veteran but most guys contracts are up after next year. You wonder about Cleary and Bertuzzi's health beyond this year. A retirement would get you out of a contract as well...Rafalski walked with a year left on his deal.

Is that something new to the new CBA? That even if the contract was signed after the player turned 35, it will still come off the cap with retirement? I thought the Rafalski hit only came off the cap because he signed his contract before 35.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Does anyone know if the deals signed after 35 where the player retires before his contract is up still count against the cap?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think the TSN article I read indicated there are two buyouts that can be used this year or next year. It is an amnesty where it counts towards the players revenue but it does not count against the salary cap. So you could do 1 this year and 1 next, go 0 and 2 (probably the best option for Detroit) or buy out two guys this year and none next year.

I haven't heard anything about retiring prior to 35. Of course the NHL would want those contracts to count but they softened on every key issue: salary cap (up from $60mm to $64.3mm), player percentage of HRR (43% up to 50%), term (from 5 years up to 7 and 8 year max), and variance in salary from year to year (wanted like 5% but accepted a variance of 35% per year and up to 50% on the final year). So my guess is a player who signed his contract prior to turning 35 and then retires has his salary comes off the cap total but I haven't seen anything that expressly states this is the case.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

You know Bert's not retiring. He's got some ugly legal bills to pay. :(

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
maybe franzen will get off his lazy ass and start playing hockey again with the threat of a buyout coming his way

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
maybe franzen will get off his lazy ass and start playing hockey again with the threat of a buyout coming his way

Depending on the terms, I doubt buyouts will be overly threatening to players like Franzen. They'll still get all or most of the money on the contract and then they can turn around and sign another one somewhere else. For older players that might not get another deal it could be a big deal, but not to guys like Franzen that would certainly get another NHL deal for pretty big money.

This happens in the NBA all the time - guys actually play like crap on purpose so that their teams will buy them out and then they can go play somewhere else and double dip on salary. Hopefully they won't do them the same way as the NBA in this new CBA.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Bold prediction - the Wings find out that Tootoo is worthless, healthy scratch him more than half the time, and end up buying him out after this season.

Please?

kdfsjljklgjfg

Apr 4, 2007
Gloversville, NY
Buyouts

So each team gets two amnesty buyouts "that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season.", according to TSN. Who do the Wings buy out?

Honestly, I wouldn't say we have any terrible contracts, and I don't even see us using all of the buyouts. I think Sammy gets bought out next season, but that's it.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
No cap penalty, $ applies to players' 50%.

How many guys were not on the roster? Are you referring to the Redden type guys?

No. I mean like we can't sign someone tomorrow then amnesty him in July. Redden would be eligible I assume.

All my knowledge on the amnesty is based on the NBA so it could be different with the NHL.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
No. I mean like we can't sign someone tomorrow then amnesty him in July. Redden would be eligible I assume.

All my knowledge on the amnesty is based on the NBA so it could be different with the NHL.

Ah. I would have to imagine that buyouts with no cap hit would be limited to pre-CBA deals. I mean, you could do buyouts under the old CBA, you just had to take the cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad