Buyers Remorse: Leon Draisaittl

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ryan Johansen got $64M/8-years this summer and has 19 points (3 goals) in 28 games on a far better team. Where's his thread?

Did you miss the rest of my post?

This 28-game sample size has proven you right for the next eight years. Congrats.

Ryan Johansen's 2nd contract was a 3 x $4 million bridge. Similar to what Draisaitl should have gotten.

This thread is deserved after everyone had to hear all offseason how Draisaitl was a "top-10 #1C" despite never actually playing as a top-line C. The future Crosby/Malkin 1-2 punch was mentioned. In reality Draisaitl is an excellent RW for McDavid who got overpaid at 21 (something that should never happen due to RFA structure).

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Ryan Johansen's 2nd contract was a 3 x $4 million bridge. Similar to what Draisaitl should have gotten.

This thread is deserved after everyone had to hear all offseason how Draisaitl was a "top-10 #1C" despite never actually playing as a top-line C. The future Crosby/Malkin 1-2 punch was mentioned. In reality Draisaitl is an excellent RW for McDavid who got overpaid at 21 (something that should never happen due to RFA structure).

thank you, i honestly don't understand why oiler fans keep saying " drai the goat drais the goat" like no, no ones gonna trade for that contact he's overpaid by 3 millions, pretty much the foward game dion phaneuf

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I got the feeling that Edmonton wanted to ensure that they could keep Draisaitl long term b/c there is always the fear that players will (or their wifes) will bolt for larger, warmer and less remote places. I think the whole Pronger episode left along term pall over Edmonton and fear that it would be hard to get or retain elite talent. Feeling may be that you got to pay a premium to get players like Lucic and keep super stars like McDavid.

Given some hindsight the Oilers should have got Draisaitl done before McDavid (if Draisaitl agent would allow this) since McDavid set the bar so high.

As it is, Edmonton probably has too much tied up in two players (as good as they may be) and this makes the Drai contract more suspect. I think Drai will emerge as big time talent but based on this year that has happened yet.
This reasoning makes perfect sense.
He’ll be alright.
I wouldn’t write the Oilers off just yet.
The few games I have seen of theirs , they have been unlucky not bad .

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Ryan Johansen got $64M/8-years this summer and has 19 points (3 goals) in 28 games on a far better team. Where's his thread?

Did you miss the rest of my post?

This 28-game sample size has proven you right for the next eight years. Congrats.
Johansen started the season very slow. He has really turned it up lately but I am sure if you do a search you will see the thread talking about how slow his start was this season

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Give the guy a break. He's been injured. Even so, he's still on pace for what, 60 points or so? He's fine.

It's the entire rest of the team, outside of McDavid and Draisaitl, that sucks.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013

This post needs to be quoted over and over, so Oilers fans can see reality

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
Yeah locking up the 20 year old Hart Trophy and Art Ross winning captain fresh off a 100pt season and the 6’2 215lb 21 year old who scored 77pts in 82 games and absolutely dominated in the playoffs centering his own line is a real head scratcher.

Why on earth would they want to sign those guys to max term deals? You’re right...this is completely comparable to Horcoff and Pisani.

Surely
something fishy is afoot involving the owner.
Oiler fans keep regurgitating the "dominated in the playoffs" line, when in reality, he had ONE great series in the playoffs. Seems a bit disingenuous. Drai is a good player, but he's definitely not worth that contract, at least at this point in time. I also share the same concern as others, that he really hasn't shown he's able to drive his own line. I think there's a solid chance he'll eventually be worth his contract, but it'll never make sense to me why Chiarelli didn't hammer out Drai's deal before McD.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Was Draisaitl's playoffs really dominant? 9/16 points came in 2 games against Anaheim. He was held scoreless in 6/13 games played as well.

edit-held scoreless in 6/13*

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They need to deal Patrick Matt velesky 2.0 Maroon now and get whatever you can for him. Someone's gonnanoverpay him next offseason

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
50ish points? I see that math isn't the OP's strongsuit.

It's 28 games into his contract, maybe people should give it a little more time before calling it a horrible contract.

However, I will say that Chia screwed up by not signing him the previous offseason when Schiefele, Barkov, Monahan, Mackinnon were getting signed. Could have got him for $6M long term even if he was a bit more unproven than those guys. This is why teams pay for potential even if the player hasn't proven it yet, need to get them locked up before they break out.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

my sentiments exactly.

it's not that draisaitl is a bad player. he's decent. but he got way iverhyped by oilers fans, well beyond his capabilities. apparently oilers management bought in.

and before "omg it's 28 games", in not basing itnoff 28 games. I'm basing it on several years of play, including last year when you look at what he does on his own.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
my sentiments exactly.

it's not that draisaitl is a bad player. he's decent. but he got way iverhyped by oilers fans, well beyond his capabilities. apparently oilers management bought in.

and before "omg it's 28 games", in not basing itnoff 28 games. I'm basing it on several years of play, including last year when you look at what he does on his own.

You mean when he was on pace for 60+ points before being placed with McDavid last season, dominated the Anaheim series on his own line and had 51 points in 73 games as a 20 year old? I'm sure he was carried by Hall, Lucic and Slepyshev as well.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You mean when he was on pace for 60+ points before being placed with McDavid last season, dominated the Anaheim series on his own line and had 51 points in 73 games as a 20 year old? I'm sure he was carried by Hall, Lucic and Slepyshev as well.
carried to 60 points? if you need someone to carry you to 60 points you're not worth 4 million let alone 8.5. I said he was a decent player. great, he's a 60 point player, with Taylor hall and lucic. seems like decent wingers to me. low end number 1 high end number 2 that makes him. I'd say that's worth 6 mil or so.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Can we wait until he's played more than 28 games? Or been away from McDavid for more than 9 consecutive games?

Classic HF overeaction thread. People around here seem to forget that 30 game sample sizes dont define a player especially a young one. Injuries, cold and hot streaks happen. Over analysing media perpetuates this behaviour as they need something to talk about but people really need to take a step back.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Super risky contract. Was since the second they signed it. Shouldn’t rush to overpay a player off their ELC after one great year riding shotgun in part with one of the best players alive

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
His PP production is an obvious aberration.

If he has 4 more PP points he has 26 in 28gp and this thread doesn't exist.

Next question.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
carried to 60 points? if you need someone to carry you to 60 points you're not worth 4 million let alone 8.5. I said he was a decent player. great, he's a 60 point player, with Taylor hall and lucic. seems like decent wingers to me. low end number 1 high end number 2 that makes him. I'd say that's worth 6 mil or so.

He just turned 22 and it's only his 2nd full season at center. How many centers can score much more than 60 points with really good wingers especially at that age? McDavid? Crosby?

So you've determined that he's a 6M player based on 28 games in which he's still on a 65 point pace playing with 3rd liners? If that's not classic HF, I don't know what is.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Play with Ju Ju and Strome is not helping, give him some real line mates and let's see what happens. No buyers remorse here, just wish we had a GM who could put talent around him so he can succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad