Buyers Remorse: Leon Draisaittl

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
None of those players you listed are considered depth players. They are first liners/first pairing defensemen who would cost multiple players/prospects/picks to acquire. Both defensemen listed are having terrible seasons as well.

Depth players are third/fourth liners or bottom pairing defensemen that can player in the top four occassionally.

I didnt mean depth players as in complimentary players . I dont think the oilers are struggling becauase of their bottom dmen or bottom 6 forwards. I think they need a deeper team because they lack a top 6 winger with speed and finish and also a top 4 Dman.

Both cost cap space, cap space that Drai is unnecessarily using.

It will be even harder to.go after these guys when mcdavid is.off his elc thats why a bridge deal would have been ideal and the oil could go for it this year

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I didnt mean depth players as in complimentary players . I dont think the oilers are struggling becauase of their bottom dmen or bottom 6 forwards. I think they need a deeper team because they lack a top 6 winger with speed and finish and also a top 4 Dman.

Both cost cap space, cap space that Drai is unnecessarily using.

It will be even harder to.go after these guys when mcdavid is.off his elc thats why a bridge deal would have been ideal and the oil could go for it this year
But Draisaitl's contract isn't preventing any of that from happening. The Oilers have cap space plus all of their draft picks to move if they wanted to. They already have four top-4 defensemen. It's not really a need unless a true #1 is available and those hardly ever are (and if one was, it would cost a lot).

I agree with you about the top-6 winger. They have been linked to Mike Hoffman recently (and he makes over $5M/season).

A bridge deal for Draisaitl would have saved the Oilers maybe $1.5M to $2M for the next two or three seasons. I don't think that is worth it, because they are paying him $8.5M+ on his next extension since he's closer to free agency and they'd have to buy up more UFA years.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
This nucks fan is getting BLOWN UP.

Like i said if Oilers are happy where they are as long as Drai is living up tp his contract then be my guest !!

Ill see you guys at the draft party !

In the meantime keep this thread bumping for me !

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Okay thats fair. .

But lets say they miss playoffs again and Drai gets 60-70 pts.

Is Oil nation happy w. That contract still knowing MCD is about to enter 12.5 range and litterally not much wiggle room left after talbot amd.others get re signed.
I mean obviously no one is going to be happy if the team misses playoffs, but if Draisaitl finishes this season playing centre and scored 70P I don't think anyone is going to be unhappy with the contract. It won't be his fault, it will be a slow start and poor goaltending+special teams early in the year that cost us playoffs if we do miss, not Draisaitl or his contract. If there's any contract to be unhappy with its probably the Russell contract going forward, but even that becomes a modified NTC in 2019 when Talbot needs to be re-signed.

As for your concern regarding the cap, its not nearly as bleak as you think it is. Yes McDavid jumps from 3.75 to 12.5 next year, a 7.775M increase. But, the Oilers also shed 2.6M from Faynes contract and 1M from the Korpikoski buyout. That results in just over 4M in cap hit, and the cap is expected to rise between 3 and 7M next season. The Oilers also already have over 6M in current cap space, and can further shed money in a few different ways. One would be to not re-sign Letestu (or sign him cheaper), or trade Kassian/Strome if needed. Cammalleri won't be back and can be replaced with a cheaper option internally as a 4th line/13th forward. They could let Maroon walk if he prices himself out and replace him internally with an ELC player like Yamamoto or Benson, or a cheap UFA 1 year deal.

I'm not sure how much of a raise you expect out of Talbot or Nurse, but Talbot's already making 4.16, so if he goes up to 6M thats not even a 2M increase (and thats a year and a half away). If they decide to sign Nurse long-term I'd guess he'd get somewhere in the 4-4.5 range, or he could likely be bridged for less than 3M. I just don't see major issues with the cap.

Reactions: 6 God

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
But Draisaitl's contract isn't preventing any of that from happening. The Oilers have cap space plus all of their draft picks to move if they wanted to. They already have four top-4 defensemen. It's not really a need unless a true #1 is available and those hardly ever are (and if one was, it would cost a lot).

I agree with you about the top-6 winger. They have been linked to Mike Hoffman recently (and he makes over $5M/season).

Yes its fine this year cuz Mcd is on ELC. Hoffman is signed for another 3 or 4 yrs ? Mcd and drai will be making over 20 mil and.talbot and nurse need contracts in the next 1-2 yrs.

Oil can really afford rentals this yr or players w 1 yr left at most

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yes its fine this year cuz Mcd is on ELC. Hoffman is signed for another 3 or 4 yrs ? Mcd and drai will be making over 20 mil and.talbot and nurse need contracts in the next 1-2 yrs.

How much money do you think Talbot is going to get?

A 2M raise would put him as the 6th highest paid goalie in the league. Do you honestly think $2M(aka ~3% of the cap and ~10% of the Oilers 19/20 cap space) is going to cripple the Oilers?

I'd recommend taking a quick look at the Oilers future cap situation. It's nowhere near as dire as you believe.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Lets say the cap rises to 80M next year.

Lucic (6) - McDavid (12.5) - Puljujarvi (0.925M/1.85M in potential bonuses)
Caggiula (1-1.5M) - Nuge (6) - Yamamoto (0.925M/~200k in potential bonuses)
Khaira (0.675M) - Drai (8.5M) - Strome (2.5-3M)
Slepyshev (1M) - XX - Kassian (1.95M)
XX

Nurse (?) - Larsson (4.167M)
Sekera (5.5M) - Russell (4M)
Klefbom (4.167M) - Benning/Davidson (1-1.5M)
XX

Talbot (4.167M)
Brossoit/hopefully someone else (0.750M)

Pouliot buyout: 1.333M
Total: ~68.5M

That would leave Edmonton with 11.5M cap space to sign Nurse, 2 healthy scratches, and a 4th line centre. They would actually even have room to re-sign Maroon if he was willing to sign in the 3.5M range. Eventually one of the D will need to be dumped to pay for guys like Puljujarvi, and hopefully its Russell.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Lets say the cap rises to 80M next year.

Lucic (6) - McDavid (12.5) - Puljujarvi (0.925M/1.85M in potential bonuses)
Caggiula (1-1.5M) - Nuge (6) - Yamamoto (0.925M/~200k in potential bonuses)
Khaira (0.675M) - Drai (8.5M) - Strome (2.5-3M)
Slepyshev (1M) - XX - Kassian (1.95M)
XX

Nurse (?) - Larsson (4.167M)
Sekera (5.5M) - Russell (4M)
Klefbom (4.167M) - Benning/Davidson (1-1.5M)
XX

Talbot (4.167M)
Brossoit/hopefully someone else (0.750M)

Pouliot buyout: 1.333M
Total: ~68.5M

That would leave Edmonton with 11.5M cap space to sign Nurse, 2 healthy scratches, and a 4th line centre. They would actually even have room to re-sign Maroon if he was willing to sign in the 3.5M range.
If you are a big hockey fan and have been keeping up with the NHL news, you should know that the cap is not rising to $80-million next year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I read an article couple of days ago that it will be just below $80-million. Most likely between $78.2-million and $79.8-million.
Even if this was true, I'm a little confused with the point of your original post then. Even at 78M or 79.8 (such a big difference from 80M :rolleyes: ) there's still room for everything I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad