Buyers Remorse: Leon Draisaittl

Status
Not open for further replies.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Do the Oilers already regret signing Draisaittl to a 8.5×8 yrs contract ??

Same Cap Hit as Steven Stamkos.

-On pace for 50ish points.
-Now has a concussion history
- Seems to not be able to carry or drive his own line without Mcdavid
- 8.5 mil is a huge Cap hit and this year one of the biggest Oiler downfall is the lack of depth. This is while Mcdavid is still on ELC.

So do the Oilers already have buyers remorse on this contract ?

Chiarelli held all the leverage, why exactly was he given such a long term lucrative contract.

Well I hate to say I told you so....but for all the Oilers fans who jumped on me...

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Will that magically create depth for Oilers ?

Will it anser thr question as to why Chiarelli got outleveragrd while having all the leverage?

I'm puzzled why Chiarelli gave both mcdavid and Draisaitl those contracts.
Smells like the contracts given to Pisani, Horcoff, Stoll etc after the 2006 playoff run.
The common element here is the owner.
Look there.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Because he didn't only play with McDavid. He played centre in his first full season and parts of last season, and then dominated in the playoffs on his own line. The purpose of the contract was to get him signed for max term. He's overpaid right now. That doesn't make him a ****ty player that the Oilers regret signing as you are trying to insinuate.

Drop the depth argument. It doesn't fly in this situation as Draisaitl's salary has no bearing on depth players. Chiarelli bought out Pouliot (and didn't replace him) and traded Eberle due to poor playoff performances, and was counting on three or four young players to fill in; it hasn't work. The Oilers could have brought back the same team from last season + Draisaitl's $8.5M salary if they wanted to.

You shouldn’t base numbers off one good playoo stretch, heck Mark Letestu had a better playoff than McDavid but sure as heck isn’t half the player.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I got the feeling that Edmonton wanted to ensure that they could keep Draisaitl long term b/c there is always the fear that players will (or their wifes) will bolt for larger, warmer and less remote places. I think the whole Pronger episode left along term pall over Edmonton and fear that it would be hard to get or retain elite talent. Feeling may be that you got to pay a premium to get players like Lucic and keep super stars like McDavid.

Given some hindsight the Oilers should have got Draisaitl done before McDavid (if Draisaitl agent would allow this) since McDavid set the bar so high.

As it is, Edmonton probably has too much tied up in two players (as good as they may be) and this makes the Drai contract more suspect. I think Drai will emerge as big time talent but based on this year that has happened yet.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Smells like the contracts given to Pisani, Horcoff, Stoll etc after the 2006 playoff run.
Look there.
Katz didn't buy the team until 2008.

Drai is worth more than those three players combined.

HF boards needs a "too early" button that I can hit when people proclaim prospects are a bust, trades haven't worked out, or contracts are looking bad.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008
Look there.

Yeah locking up the 20 year old Hart Trophy and Art Ross winning captain fresh off a 100pt season and the 6’2 215lb 21 year old who scored 77pts in 82 games and absolutely dominated in the playoffs centering his own line is a real head scratcher.

Why on earth would they want to sign those guys to max term deals? You’re right...this is completely comparable to Horcoff and Pisani.

Surely
something fishy is afoot involving the owner.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I got the feeling that Edmonton wanted to ensure that they could keep Draisaitl long term b/c there is always the fear that players will (or their wifes) will bolt for larger, warmer and less remote places. I think the whole Pronger episode left along term pall over Edmonton and fear that it would be hard to get or retain elite talent. Feeling may be that you got to pay a premium to get players like Lucic and keep super stars like McDavid.

Bingo.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Ryan Johansen got $64M/8-years this summer and has 19 points (3 goals) in 28 games on a far better team. Where's his thread?

You shouldn’t base numbers off one good playoo stretch, heck Mark Letestu had a better playoff than McDavid but sure as heck isn’t half the player.
Did you miss the rest of my post?

Well I hate to say I told you so....but for all the Oilers fans who jumped on me...
This 28-game sample size has proven you right for the next eight years. Congrats.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I wouldn't feel remorse over that particular signing if were an Oilers fan. The kid put up 77 points last year, and then did even better in the playoffs. The year before was his first full year in the NHL, and he put up 51 points. I wouldn't begin worrying that he's a 60 point center (that's still 1st line center production, mind you) until a couple of years of 60 points in a row. Right now he's averaging 60 points over an 82 game season, and that's including his 9 points in 37 games rookie season. Take that out and his average is pretty close to 70 over an 82 game season. That's the type of production that top 10 centers put up. I think that's enough proof that he didn't get paid based solely off of one good playoff.

Buyer's remorse... you crazy!

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Fun fact: only twice in the past 10 years has the Art Ross winner not had a teammate in the top 10 for scoring. Alex Ovechkin in 07-08 and Sidney Crosby in 13-14(Malkin was 15th with only 60GP).

I think Leon is a damn good player, but is he good enough to justify being the currently 11th highest cap hit in the game? They paid him like a big 2way C after a season he mostly spent on the wing.

The thing I hate about this contract, and Eichel's, and even McDavid's to a lesser extent, is that it doesn't give the player a whole lot of incentive to get better. Chiarelli paid UFA prices for a whole lot of RFA years. Most of the players in Draisaitl's price bracket have multiple All Star campaigns, some several Cups, and nearly all of them aren't on contracts they signed coming off their ELCs.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He's tied for the 2nd youngest player in the top 100 cap hits in the league. He's got time to grow into his contract. That's what the Oilers are banking on. Maybe it hurts a little in the short run, but 5 or 6 years from now, it'll be a great contract. Is the cap hit as good as say Barkov's? No, but it's 3 years longer.

It's all a give and take in a cap world. You either pay now or pay later, and you hope time proves you made the right call.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
Yeah locking up the 20 year old Hart Trophy and Art Ross winning captain fresh off a 100pt season and the 6’2 215lb 21 year old who scored 77pts in 82 games and absolutely dominated in the playoffs centering his own line is a real head scratcher.

Why on earth would they want to sign those guys to max term deals? You’re right...this is completely comparable to Horcoff and Pisani.

Surely
something fishy is afoot involving the owner.
Nathan MacKinnon won the Calder and scored 10 points in his first playoff round. He's less than two months older than Draisaitl and is on pace to outscore him for the third time in the four years that they've both been in the NHL. He plays center, costs $2.2M AAV less a year, and isn't owed any signing bonuses.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Don't care what all the haters say. Whatever struggles he is going through. I don't regret a single penny that was used for Draisaitl. He is legit and I have complete faith that he will return to form.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Do the Oilers already regret signing Draisaittl to a 8.5×8 yrs contract ??

Same Cap Hit as Steven Stamkos.

-On pace for 50ish points.
-Now has a concussion history
- Seems to not be able to carry or drive his own line without Mcdavid
- 8.5 mil is a huge Cap hit and this year one of the biggest Oiler downfall is the lack of depth. This is while Mcdavid is still on ELC.

So do the Oilers already have buyers remorse on this contract ?

Chiarelli held all the leverage, why exactly was he given such a long term lucrative contract.

What? He's on pace for 64 points and prior to this cold stretch was on pace for same or better than last year.

Also he's currently playing with Khaira and Strome, two guys that aren't exactly known to be productive players.

The entire Oilers team have been struggling. McDavid has gone through the flu and strep throat, Larsson, Sekera and Talbot injured and we don't really know how Draisaitl's concussion is affecting him either.

This thread is way premature. Draisaitl has already proven he got what it takes to be a top player in this league. Is he overpaid? Probably yeah, but I rather overpay and keep him for the next 8 years than being cheap and having to move him (or alternatively bridge him and then facing the possibility of paying him 10M+ on the next deal).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
You may have missed the part where he was 8th in NHL scoring last season.

Anyway, why do fans worry so much about how much money a player got? If anyone is going to get a sweet deal, I'm glad it's Draisaitl. He seems like a super-nice and quite mature young player, and he was a force last season. The general decline of the team's performance plus his concussion have slowed him down this year, but I have no doubt that he's going to be a consistently elite player for years to come. I like him a lot.

Reactions: Eisen

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
People need go chill. He's had a good season. It's just been a tough 2 weeks. He's been away from McDavid for more than 2 weeks so it's not like that's the determining factor. Obviously it doesn't help, but he's just gone cold. 5-10 bad games in a 30 game sample size is going to make things look more dramatic than they are.

It's his powerplay production (where he plays with McDavid) that needs to pick up. He's been fine at even strength. He'll likely still finish with 65+ points while playing with 3rd line talent.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Not 50-ish points. 64.
On what planet is 64 points from a forward worth $8.5m? hell, I'll go farther in case he gets a hot streak goin, on what planet is 74 points worth $8.5m ? Everyone, not just flames fans like myself said this was a junk contract from the beginning! I said it was $2m too much and not only was I right I may have been light in my assessment. lets face it, so far he can't drive a line and make his teammates better, he is proving what most have said all along...he needs McDavid to have success.

Oiler fans can take solace in knowing this contract isn't just bad for Edmonton though, Edmonton once again set a brutal president for 2nd contracts who haven't won anything.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Nathan MacKinnon won the Calder and scored 10 points in his first playoff round. He's less than two months older than Draisaitl and is on pace to outscore him for the third time in the four years that they've both been in the NHL. He plays center, costs $2.2M AAV less a year, and isn't owed any signing bonuses.

No shit he costs less. Look at when both of them signed those contracts.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
If the cap keeps going up, there should not be a problem in 2-3 years. He is highly overpaid as of now though.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Too early, way to early, to say its a bad contract.

That being said, he has to be a ppg player (long term) to justify that contract, right? I'm not a big fan of having so much riding a few big contract players.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
It is far easier to draft depth than it is to draft top end talent. If it cost 8.5M to keep him then so be it. May be overpaid but if you let him walk, you can't replace what he brings. Don't overpay depth and they'll be fine, but that's Chia's specialty so good luck with that Oilers.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I still don't understand why Chiarelli negotiated McDavids contract before Draisaittls.
Obviously Draisaittls agent used Connors contract as comparison for value.
I'm convinced had Chiarelli done Leons first he wouldn't be making 8.5 million.

As Chiarelli has made a number of questionable decisions it doesn't surprise me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad