Butch-isms Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You have to love this guy, he's like our Phil Rizzuto. Considering how bad this team has been, he's added some comic relief.

Great idea for a thread, genius.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Three things-

1) The guy, like mentioned bleeds blue and orange.

2) I think the game took its tool on the man because he fumbles over words more than a guy with two left feet.

3) FANTASTIC THREAD lol. When you need a quick pick me up you can always look forward to trying to figure out the Da Vinci Code that is Butch Goring's commentating.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
He never said Martinek's name right. "Martaneck or Martanuck".

and I feel the same about his use of melee as said. You are not wrong.

It's funny to hear Howie continue on right after Butch let's out a ridiculous comment. You could almost hear his reserved smirk. In a recent game, Butch was going on about the opponent's lack of success and playoff appearances recently and how tough that is. Howie sounded incredulous for a second like, don't you realize where you are?!

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
He never said Martinek's name right. "Martaneck or Martanuck".

and I feel the same about his use of melee as said. You are not wrong.

It's funny to hear Howie continue on right after Butch let's out a ridiculous comment. You could almost hear his reserved smirk. In a recent game, Butch was going on about the opponent's lack of success and playoff appearances recently and how tough that is. Howie sounded incredulous for a second like, don't you realize where you are?!

I'll never forget Howie cracking up and trying to hold it in when Butch kept rambling about "Pavalovski" last year. I think Howie would love this thread too. :laugh:

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Maybe I'm confused, but I don't like the way he uses the word "melee." He always says something like: "the defenseman threw the puck through a melee of feet."

Am I wrong in thinking he is using it wrong?

Pretty sure he says me-lay or me-lee instead of may-lay. It sounds weird.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Funny how someone said he's like our rizzutto. I was thinking the same thing. But i think Butch is just drunk most of the time in that booth. He keeps us laughing when there's nothing to smile about so i say, we enjoy and just keep drinking til we pass out.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Funny how someone said he's like our rizzutto. I was thinking the same thing. But i think Butch is just drunk most of the time in that booth. He keeps us laughing when there's nothing to smile about so i say, we enjoy and just keep drinking til we pass out.

Rizzuto was the best, I miss you Scooter.

When you mentioned him looking drunk, Bob Uecker immediately came to mind. So Butchie is like a mix of the Scooter and Uecker. We are the NHL's version of the Cleveland Indians in the Major League so it all fits. Too bad it's unlikely we'll magically turn it on though.

'Juuuuuust a bit outside'

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Awesome thread, in full support of this. Wish I could remember some because I know there are way more butchisms then this ! On a serious note, he may not be the best at what he does, but he loves the team and I have alot of respect for him and what he did for the dynasty. Also, so many of our greats distanced themselves from the team...he never has, I respect him for that as well.

Edit : As another poster mentioned, didnt he call dallas the north stars ?

Last edited:

BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

I'll never forget Howie cracking up and trying to hold it in when Butch kept rambling about "Pavalovski" last year. I think Howie would love this thread too. :laugh:

I have a feeling Howie loves Butch. The one thing that never gets mentioned, but for all Butchie's messing up, they seem to have pretty good chemistry together.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I have a feeling Howie loves Butch. The one thing that never gets mentioned, but for all Butchie's messing up, they seem to have pretty good chemistry together.

Thats true they do. howie and joe were the best tandem ive ever seen honestly. but what can ya do atleast butch is honest when it comes to bad calls by refs!

Law

Jun 19, 2007
Miami, FL
If you drink every time Butch says "confidence" you'll be passed out by the middle of the second period.

But when you're ready to step up to 'SuperStar' level, drink every time he says, 'tremendous'. May want to strategically place some pillows around the place for the inevitable blackout.

;)

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Butch= Mr. Malaprop of hockey. Imagine him and Steve Coates calling a game by themselves?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Pretty sure he says me-lay or me-lee instead of may-lay. It sounds weird.

Yeah, he says me-lee drives me absolutely nuts!!

And the one added today he said about Eager he look rejected, lol, instead of dejected. Also, talking about his play he first called him dumb then he later on stated " i don't want to say stupid, but non intelligent for sure". Um, it's unintelligent lmao!! What a tool.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
That was more like a Yogi Line

Read my mind, and I might be dating myself here but for those Yankee fans old enough think back to Bill White trying to correct Phil Ruzzuto, who made more gaffes in a minute of air time than Butch does in an hour.

But one can never replace Phil, and Butch is currently the closest thing on NY TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad