Burlington Group Approached NHL for possible 2nd GTA/S.O. Franchise

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Got to think Toronto 2 would only happen if a team in the Eastern US relocates. Can't see Toronto 2 getting an expansion team with Seattle imminent and Houston as a backup plan.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Eh i find that as wishful thinking at this point. It'll be too expensive for any person willing to want to take on. Such a price would have to be at least a billion Canadian.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Here is a link to the Website of the Company in Question. Anyone know anything about them

Paletta International Corporation

.... just that there from Hamilton, done extremely well for themselves in the feedlot & meat packing industry (beef, pork, chicken etc) with interests in the US & Canada as outlined on their site somewhat... One of the Sons of the founder becoming quite active in the entertainment sector, mostly acquiring the distribution rights for films (Night at the Museum, one or more of the Die Hard movies etc), invests in film properties or provides financing, loans... also provide logistical support to film crews shooting TV, commercials, movie's in & around Toronto & SW Ontario (providing portable cell towers & other mobile infrastructure). They own a lot of land, buildings & billboards sitting thereupon, temporarily leasing them out to film crews, sets. Involved in some live theater presentation... A Night with Al Pacino for example which was staged in Toronto... good buddies with Al (a guy who can smell money from a long long lonnnnng way away & knows who's buttering his bread) & other 'A' Listers, Michael Douglas etc. They own a nice chunk of land there in Burlington, on one a high end residential development, 2acre lots. Estate homes. McMansions. They have the land, they have money, they are "outsiders" to the monied Toronto community, low key.... Interesting development. I dont see them going in on such a project alone, wonder who else involved... so we'll see if it goes anywhere.

Reactions: Jeffrey93 and htpwn

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Here is a link to the Website of the Company in Question. Anyone know anything about them

Paletta International Corporation

Don't think they can float this kind of deal unless they are the quietest billionaires ever

Most recent expansion fees are pegged around $650M USD. If this were to happen in a couple years the expansion fee would likely be around $700M, or more than $1 billion CDN.

On top of that you would need a new arena which would run for at least $300-400M with current rates and a potential buyout to the Leafs for who knows how much money.

This new ownership group would need to float 1.5B+ before the team has even played their first game. Don't know much about the Paletta's but I don't think their corporation has that kind of cash.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
.... just that there from Hamilton, done extremely well for themselves in the feedlot & meat packing industry (beef, pork, chicken etc) with interests in the US & Canada as outlined on their site somewhat... One of the Sons of the founder becoming quite active in the entertainment sector, mostly acquiring the distribution rights for films (Night at the Museum, one or more of the Die Hard movies etc), invests in film properties or provides financing, loans... also provide logistical support to film crews shooting TV, commercials, movie's in & around Toronto & SW Ontario (providing portable cell towers & other mobile infrastructure). They own a lot of land, buildings & billboards sitting thereupon, temporarily leasing them out to film crews, sets. Involved in some live theater presentation... A Night with Al Pacino for example which was staged in Toronto... good buddies with Al (a guy who can smell money from a long long lonnnnng way away & knows who's buttering his bread) & other 'A' Listers, Michael Douglas etc. They own a nice chunk of land there in Burlington, on one a high end residential development, 2acre lots. Estate homes. McMansions. They have the land, they have money, they are "outsiders" to the monied Toronto community, low key.... Interesting development. I dont see them going in on such a project alone, wonder who else involved... so we'll see if it goes anywhere.
Hamilton really going to oust a franchise such as the Bulldogs, good luck with that.... you'd have better luck bringing Andlauer back in after his stint with Montreal

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Interesting to see if goes anywhere. A GTA2 team could play in either conference. Rogers and Bell would love the extra content so if the league wants it, deal can be worked out MLSE.

Would provide a nice boost to the Canadian rights in 8 years but who knows where the media business will be.

Before anyways says that no one can afford this, it wasn't that long ago people thought 500 million was outrageos for Vegas. Many here said no one in Seattle can pay that much and pay for the building on top of that...in a sense they are 'right'

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Interesting to see if goes anywhere. A GTA2 team could play in either conference. Rogers and Bell would love the extra content so if the league wants it, deal can be worked out MLSE.

Would provide a nice boost to the Canadian rights in 8 years but who knows where the media business will be.

Before anyways says that no one can afford this, it wasn't that long ago people thought 500 million was outrageos for Vegas. Many here said no one in Seattle can pay that much and pay for the building on top of that...in a sense they are 'right'
you're forgetting Buffalo and Jeremy Jacobs here, MG

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com

What is it with the super rich families and the movie bug of the second or third generation? Happen to the Seagram, Bronfman... I'm pretty sure the Molson went through that phase at some point. Hell Howard Hughes did not even wait.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe a different topic, but I've been wondering lately about 2-team cities with the most recent being the MLS additions to LA and NY, and how it relates to Toronto's NHL situation.

I think the city is big enough, but historical reasons are there right?

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Can't see it. Probably cost a guy 1 billion for the franchise (Seattle is $650 mil USD, it's only going up from there.... $750 mil USD= 1 Billion CDN). Add in $500 million for an arena......and you know the Leafs and Sabres will extract a pound of flesh.....ball park $200 million per team. Looking at 2 billion total before you even drop the puck

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
From the article....

“They are trying the Mark Chipman route,” one source said, referring to the Winnipeg Jets owner. “Don’t say anything that upsets the NHL.”

This will take some time.... yet they first inquired at the same time Vegas initiated their expansion bid.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
And Ottawa?

MOD

Kanata is in the middle of nowhere, it has Ottawa about 30 mins North which is infested with Leafs and Habs fans. So you have 3 teams there and not enough people (about 1 million). The GTA is the opposite, too many people (6.6 million) and not enough teams.

Kanata population: 90k
Burlington population: 200k

15 minutes South is Hamilton (800k+ people)
15 minutes North is Oakville (200k+ people)
30 minutes North is Mississauga (800k+ people)
15 minutes South West is Milton (100k+ people)

Last edited by a moderator:

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Honestly this is +32 team territory, 32 is enough IMO, unless this is perhaps a target destination for Arizona, in which case I can see a two team Toronto working if the new one is in the West.

Reactions: Isles72

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Wasn't there a major fire at one of their meat plants recently? ... other than that, and occasionally driving past their property at Appleby (?) and the QEW, I can't say I've heard of them.

My guess is that they probably don't have the cash on their own and would probably need at least one or two very wealthy partners to make this happen.

Also, even if the plan is to build the arena near a GO station, Burlington is far from an ideal place for an NHL arena. Like most highways in the GTA, the QEW is a mess during rush hours, and I can't see the business crowd (needed for suite sales) making the trip from Toronto or Mississauga.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad