Burke gone, what about tambo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
So if we consider everything you post on this site as Hyperbole, then you'll make more sense?

Gotcha! :naughty:

Nope, just my references to KLowe as the worst manager in the history of prosports; he's a step above Mike Milbury (and we all know that to be a fact). Everything else is gospel.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Maybe it's nitpicking, but I have to take issue with a couple of things here. Firstly, I would call Gilbert a #3. As for Schultz, Bob Stauffer regularly refers to him as a #5.

Bob is pretty conservative about that. I doubt very much he'd call Gilbert a #3, for instance, when he calls Whitney at his best a #3.

Personally, I feel they both play the same minutes comfortably. ~20 a game, which plants them into the second pairing.

I tend to agree with that. Secondly, I'm not sold on the drafting. I will certainly concede that it's better now than when KP was running the show, but how much better is still inconclusive IMO. Yeah, Stu did fine with the #1 overalls, and he certainly hit a homerun with Eberle, but beyond that... I want to see some of the other picks pans out before I use words like "immaculate" to describe the job he's doing.

Well, with picks outside of the first round, the rule is 5 years. It's been five years now since MacGregor's first draft, where-in the Oilers did not have a second or third round pick. They pulled Eberle @ 22, Hartikainen @ 163. I tend to think of that as a pretty good draft, considering the lack of picks.

Beyond that there's a lot of "too early to judge", but I believe 2009 will churn out multiple regular NHLers and 2010 could easily be a homerun.

Again, I'm finding it difficult to see many teams that are clear of the Oilers here. Perhaps the Oilers lack a "Ryan O'Reilly" success story, but that's luck as much as anything. Everyone had O'Reilly where he was taken, nobody expected him to play right away.

As for Belanger and Eager, as I said before I'm willing to wait and see because I think the coaching may have done a lot to hurt them last year... which once again opens the door on Tambo's record in finding head coaches. A pretty poor record if you ask me.

Tom Renney is a fantastic head-coach as far as I'm concerned, so we're definitely not going to agree there.

Nope, just my references to KLowe as the worst manager in the history of prosports; he's a step above Mike Milbury (and we all know that to be a fact). Everything else is gospel.

Then I would suggest your knowledge of pro-sports managers is frankly laughable.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Hyperbole (pron.: /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-PUR-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.[2]

Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect. As a literary device, hyperbole is often used in poetry, and is frequently encountered in casual speech. An example of hyperbole is: "The bag weighed a ton."[3] Hyperbole makes the point that the bag was very heavy, though it probably doesn't actually weigh a ton.

Really?? Your rants are tiresome. Its gotta be happy hour, somewhere near you.:p:

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
One more year, that is all. Maybe a free agency to fill in voids. With Khabby leaving, a potential Horcoff buy-out, J.Schultz and Yakapov year under their belt. Cole trade was bad, but it turned out ok instead of losing him for nothing. Then dropping Moreau and O'Sullivan whats a jump for joy for. Visnosky trade worked out by getting Whitney(when healthy). I think give Tambellini 2 more years and if there is no playoffs or ends up trading a valuable asset to the team for nothing.... Gone.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Bob is pretty conservative about that. I doubt very much he'd call Gilbert a #3, for instance, when he calls Whitney at his best a #3.

Personally, I feel they both play the same minutes comfortably. ~20 a game, which plants them into the second pairing.

Well, with picks outside of the first round, the rule is 5 years. It's been five years now since MacGregor's first draft, where-in the Oilers did not have a second or third round pick. They pulled Eberle @ 22, Hartikainen @ 163. I tend to think of that as a pretty good draft, considering the lack of picks.

Beyond that there's a lot of "too early to judge", but I believe 2009 will churn out multiple regular NHLers and 2010 could easily be a homerun.

Again, I'm finding it difficult to see many teams that are clear of the Oilers here. Perhaps the Oilers lack a "Ryan O'Reilly" success story, but that's luck as much as anything. Everyone had O'Reilly where he was taken, nobody expected him to play right away.

Tom Renney is a fantastic head-coach as far as I'm concerned, so we're definitely not going to agree there.

Then I would suggest your knowledge of pro-sports managers is frankly laughable.

My laughable knowledge of pro-sports must be equal to yours if you really believe Schulz and Gilbert play about the same minutes. Do some research.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
My laughable knowledge of pro-sports must be equal to yours if you really believe Schulz and Gilbert play about the same minutes. Do some research.

Even if I said they played the same minutes, which I didn't, it wouldn't be equal. That statement was absurd.

undertow

Sep 26, 2007

um. we dont.

those type of statments usually have occupy of idle hashtaged at end. you know, "facts".

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Then dropping Moreau and O'Sullivan whats a jump for joy for.
Hard to credit Tamby with "dropping" POS when it was Tamby who traded for him in the first place .... unless you think Erik Cole for Vandermeer is a good swap.

This article has been posted before, but have a look at some of the grades Tamby gets from even a homer like Staples. The only moves he gets right are the four I mentioned above and the choices at the draft table. Its quite sad actually.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...mbellini-how-he-did-on-the-moves-he-has-made/

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Hard to credit Tamby with "dropping" POS when it was Tamby who traded for him in the first place .... unless you think Erik Cole for Vandermeer is a good swap.

This article has been posted before, but have a look at some of the grades Tamby gets from even a homer like Staples. The only moves he gets right are the four I mentioned above and the choices at the draft table. Its quite sad actually.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...mbellini-how-he-did-on-the-moves-he-has-made/

O'sullivan was still a decently rated young forward when the Oilers aquired him, some Oiler fans were even packaging up half the team in an effort to trade for him to be Hemsky's sniper just a season earlier. Turns out he was a product of the system and better players, but that was a mistake the Oilers made many times between 06 - 10.

The whole Pitkanen trade thread was a disaster anyways. Lupul > Pitkanen > Cole > O'sullivan was a trainwreck from start to finish, hard to fault that one trade when it was just steady line of disaster management moves.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
O'sullivan was still a decently rated young forward when the Oilers aquired him, some Oiler fans were even packaging up half the team in an effort to trade for him to be Hemsky's sniper just a season earlier. Turns out he was a product of the system and better players, but that was a mistake the Oilers made many times between 06 - 10.

The whole Pitkanen trade thread was a disaster anyways. Lupul > Pitkanen > Cole > O'sullivan was a trainwreck from start to finish, hard to fault that one trade when it was just steady line of disaster management moves.

Lupul was not that good at the time. He put up a whopping 28 points. Even POS did better than that here

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
O'sullivan was still a decently rated young forward when the Oilers aquired him, some Oiler fans were even packaging up half the team in an effort to trade for him to be Hemsky's sniper just a season earlier.
For the most part those would be the same fans who had MPS pencilled into a scoring role on the team based on some very flimsy evidence. Fans get ahead of themselves, we should be able to expect more of an NHL GM who has resources at his disposal that we do not.

Go through the list of moves in the link I posted above, and tell me which moves this guy has made have been good ones. There are very few. Even small things like cutting loose players like Garon and Grebs were bad moves for a team looking to win games. Tamby has either been losing on purpose or he is incompetent. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
For the most part those would be the same fans who had MPS pencilled into a scoring role on the team based on some very flimsy evidence. Fans get ahead of themselves, we should be able to expect more of an NHL GM who has resources at his disposal that we do not.

Go through the list of moves in the link I posted above, and tell me which moves this guy has made have been good ones. There are very few. Even small things like cutting loose players like Garon and Grebs were bad moves for a team looking to win games. Tamby has either been losing on purpose or he is incompetent. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

They've been losing on purpose for some time now, the majority of Tambo's term really. Katz in one of his rare interviews even announced that was the plan.

I don't think anyone can argue that they were trying to win much of anything the last 3 years. Even the playoff stuff he was talking about last year was just lip service, they weren't getting out of the bottom 5 with a bunch of depth players and primarily rookies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The one move I think management really dropped the ball on was not picking up Grabner for free when he was on waivers. I know he regressed somewhat last year on the Isles... but that's exactly the type of player a young rebuilding team needs. Speed to burn and decent hands. Basically it was like cherry-picking up a semi-developed promising prospect for free... and they didn't do it.

I agree (as the Oilers have basically stated all along) that the plan for the rebuild was for building through the draft and then simply letting internal organic development and competition within the organization be the driver of the improvement of the team going forward. (The 4-6 year rebuild plan.)

Obviously they've made some peripheral moves to help fill holes as well but nothing major that involved trading away key pieces or onerous contracts to vets that tied up capital (and roster spots) long term.

You might not agree with that strategy but to say it wasn't pretty clearly outlined several years ago would simply be not being able to see the obvious.

They never outright came out and said they were going to tank and get 3 #1 picks... but they certainly were letting the team sink or swim with essentially what they had... knowing that patience and time were the biggest factors needed towards the "slow-growth" internal development philosophy they put in place when this rebuild began.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Maybe MacT gets a chance at GM if the Oilers don't make the playoffs.

I don't see the Oilers buying out Horcoff. That would be admitting they made a mistake signing him to that contract.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Funny that you put Grebs in there, considering no team wanted him after Nashville cut him loose. Does that mean that NO teams are looking to win?

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
They bought out Souray, among others.

That had nothing to do with his play on the ice. I'm not sure they'll buy out Horc, but this assumes he doesn't become a problem off the ice. If he, or anyone else, shook things up off the ice like Souray did, that player would be gone asap.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

I don't see the Oilers buying out Horcoff. That would be admitting they made a mistake signing him to that contract.

That would be cool, and MacT would bring his own coach so 5 coaches in 5 years. Maybe we could start having a new guest coach every month .... i'm pretty sure this is how the Detroit model works.

Honestly though, MacT would be infinitely better than Tambourine.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
That would be cool, and MacT would bring his own coach so 5 coaches in 5 years. Maybe we could start having a new guest coach every month .... i'm pretty sure this is how the Detroit model works.

Honestly though, MacT would be infinitely better than Tambourine.

I'm not so sure on that if MacT does get the reigns. I think he likes Krueger...and i think a lot of other people will too after this season (crosses fingers).

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Mact would be a mistake as GM.

All the things that made him a poor coach would crop up in in that job role - inability to identify and utilize talent outside his comfort zone, lack of adaptability, lack of patience, impuslive and arrogant demeanor.

If he is actually next in line, it's a disaster in the making after this rebuild.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Mact would be a mistake as GM.

All the things that made him a poor coach would crop up in in that job role - inability to identify and utilize talent outside his comfort zone, lack of adaptability, lack of patience, impuslive and arrogant demeanor.

If he is actually next in line, it's a disaster in the making after this rebuild.

MacT took a bunch of mediocre players sans Pronger to th cup finals and was given crap to work with every other season. MacT was also thrown under the bus by KLowe. MacT is the only management piece this organization has had in the last 5 years that is with a ****.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
MacT took a bunch of mediocre players sans Pronger to th cup finals and was given crap to work with every other season. MacT was also thrown under the bus by KLowe. MacT is the only management piece this organization has had in the last 5 years that is with a ****.

He spent 8 of his 9 years mired in absolute mediocrity of poor coaching decisions and inability to work with players not in his comfort zone.

The run he got to go on culminated in the Oilers tanking game 7 of the cup finals because no one thought to remind anyone on the team that the opposing team might come out and play hard(generally the coach's job). But that means he was a great coach right?

Should be in the hall of fame for it really, in the wing titled "Coaches still living off their Cinderalla runs" next to Doug Maclean, Ron Wilson and Paul Maurice.

Oct 15, 2008

That's why when he went cap in hand looking for a job, nobody would hire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad