Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
That's real funny ....
On a more serious note why is it that in the four years since he was hired Tamby has been able to come up with only one useful depth piece (Jones)?

The answer must be he didn't want any useful pieces because he'd been ordered to lose on purpose, or he wanted some good depth pieces but he is incapable of identifying what they look like. Either way he's not the guy we want running this team.

:laugh: Do Belanger or Eager qualify as depth pieces?

Sure, they haven't performed as expected (even though I like Belanger as a defensive player), but it's funny how they are forgotten. I mean might as well ignore it completely to support your argument right?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
It's worth pointing out that in two of the last three seasons, the team was expected to be better than it was (based on Tambo's own statements). That's two of three years he failed to hit his own targets. Either Tambo was selling a load of bull last year when he said he expected the team to at least challenge for the playoffs or he's delusional.

but the real issue as I can tell is I wonder if people aren't overhyping the degree to which the Oilers have changed the way they do business. Outside of the three top picks and the fluke of Eberle, their drafting isn't looking all that great. Pajaarvi looks like a bust respective to his draft position, Lander is, at best, looking like a third liner, Klefbom seems injury prone and offensively challenged and there are quite a few other question marks as well as some really questionable picks (Abney??). The Oilers need prospects that can one day step in at the same time the main kids go supernova or are decent enough to serve as trade bait to get the kind of depth support Cup teams need. I'm not seeing it right now.

In a way, I hope the team pushes hard this year in a short season, as it might be their best chance to go deep for a while.

Oct 15, 2008
Well, I wouldn't say no bullets. We do have some decent prospects coming up. A package of Hemsky + a redundant prospect could have been used to bring an upgrade. Also, if I'm not mistaken there was a possibility to swap Hemsky for a late 1st round pick. That's not much but it may end up being worth more than keeping Hemsky for a couple of years, especially if we end up at the bottom again.

Note, I'm not saying that he should have done something because I don't know the exact details of the offers. But he surely doesn't make an impression of a man who can do it in the future when it becomes vital for the team's progress. To me, he seems like either a very talented poker face or a failed GM. I hope I'm wrong.

As I said earlier, Im not a fan of Tambo, and Ive been lobbying to get rid of Hemsky longer than anyone on this board IIRC. The time to do that was before he did his Humpty Dumpty act and eventual surgery. Im not convinced there is any market at all for Hemsky now. His last contract pretty much confirms that. I mean, why else would a pending ufa in his prime sign a two year deal with a horrible team foregoing free agency?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lets be honest here. Any GM could of done what Tamby is done, Hall, RNH, Yakupov easy picks.

Can anybody find another team that has placed Last, Last, Second last and the GM kept his job?

Almost every move he has made has sucked, the only improvement he has done was 1st overall, which i think makes it obvious that he doesn't know how to build a team.

Really? Brian Burke or Darryl Sutter may very well have traded a pick or 2 out of that if they were running the team. A lot of pressure from fans to get good right now can be very tempting to save your bacon.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As I said earlier, Im not a fan of Tambo, and Ive been lobbying to get rid of Hemsky longer than anyone on this board IIRC. The time to do that was before he did his Humpty Dumpty act and eventual surgery. Im not convinced there is any market at all for Hemsky now. His last contract pretty much confirms that. I mean, why else would a pending ufa in his prime sign a two year deal with a horrible team foregoing free agency?

There is no market for Hemsky right now. At least not one that will get you anything of worth back. Trading him at this time would be about the dumbest thing they can do. But there may be one at the end of the year or next year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That's real funny ....
On a more serious note why is it that in the four years since he was hired Tamby has been able to come up with only one useful depth piece (Jones)?

The answer must be he didn't want any useful pieces because he'd been ordered to lose on purpose, or he wanted some good depth pieces but he is incapable of identifying what they look like. Either way he's not the guy we want running this team.

The problem with getting depth pieces on a crappy team is that they usually don't turn out very well because they're asked to do more on a lousy team than a good one. Pretty sure Belanger would have looked a lot better on Detroit or Vancouver where he'd have the luxury of the Sedins or Zetterberg and Datsuyk et al doing the heavy lifting, and the pressure would be far less. As the kids progress and become more rounded and solid vets, I think you'll see the UFA's that get signed start to magically perform a lot better.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
WRONG!!! No planned rebuild ... they were trying to trade their way better and failed miserably. The rebuild was thrust upon them.

So what, they tried to do the big fish signings and it didn't work out. So they went to the scorched earth, grow your own concept. I'd rather have them admit a mistake, move on to something else, rather than continue to pound their head in the sand and try to be something they're not.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I'm always a little taken a back by how much you truly Loath this team, the Oilers, and yet voluntary money spending and all.

I am always amazed at how you twist the meaning of someone's post and make up whatever meaning you want. I think the core 5 guys are amazing, I think Hartikainen and Klefbom will be one day be key core guys that bring the much needed grit to the table. I believe Dubnyk will be a serviceable goalie depsite being totally mismanaged during the early parts of his Oiler career. I absolutely enjoy watching them.

But because I absolutely believe KLowe is the worst manager in the history of prosports; one who surrounds himself by mindless minions ... I hate the team? Gee Jimmi, i thought you stopped working IR for Kevin long ago? Guess you got your old job back?

No need to respond Jimmi, I have as much respect for you as I have for KLowe.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Your a a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma ... but sometimes I like what I hear from you, other times ... not so much.

Back to Tambo, and a point rarely brought up here; 4 coaches in 4 years, exactly how many GM's have ever gotten away with that?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Pretty sure he wasn't 1st overall, if you want a good model to follow for rebuilding look at what St. Louis did post lock out. Yes they finished last once and 4th last once but that is how you rebuild a team. They still haven't won a cup but at least they'll get respect when they do. Picking first 3 years in a row is a new record for suck as no other team in history has done it. Whats funny is karma is probably gonna bite us in the ass and we'll never win the cup with this group. Even if we do we'll never get the respect for winning it.

Do you respect Pittsburgh, or the old Colorado teams with Forsberg and Sakic, or Chicago or L.A.? Because there was a fair amount of lengthy suckage in those places to get to where they finally got. St Louis is a good team, but I'll wager the Oilers win a cup before they do, and that's if the Blues do at all. And when the Oilers do win, you can go into hiding with shame because of those disgusting picks they got, while the rest of us celebrate.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
So what, they tried to do the big fish signings and it didn't work out. So they went to the scorched earth, grow your own concept. I'd rather have them admit a mistake, move on to something else, rather than continue to pound their head in the sand and try to be something they're not.

That point was made in response to another poster who claimed Tambo essentially planned and started the rebuild from Day 1 on the job .... I don't disagree with admitting you don't know how to make a real trade, signing etc. then moving on to the scorched earth policy .... but you've misinterpretted the context of the post.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Do you respect Pittsburgh, or the old Colorado teams with Forsberg and Sakic, or Chicago or L.A.? Because there was a fair amount of lengthy suckage in those places to get to where they finally got. St Louis is a good team, but I'll wager the Oilers win a cup before they do, and that's if the Blues do at all. And when the Oilers do win, you can go into hiding with shame because of those disgusting picks they got, while the rest of us celebrate.

I hate the Pittsburgh team but even when they won the cup they still had to trade for pieces to make the run. I've already established that Colorado made some great trades to get where they got and that none of their 1st overall played for them when they won the cup. Chicago and LA built a team the way I expect a team to rebuild so why even bring them up? If we win the cup it wil really depend on the circumstances that got us there. If Tambo just decides to keep bombing it again this year I'm going to be pissed, he needs to start doing his job and stop thinking Barker is a #2 defenseman. How anyone can support this clown is beyond me.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
But because I absolutely believe KLowe is the worst manager in the history of prosports; one who surrounds himself by mindless minions ... I hate the team? Gee Jimmi, i thought you stopped working IR for Kevin long ago? Guess you got your old job back?

No need to respond Jimmi, I have as much respect for you as I have for KLowe.

Kevin Lowe isn't even the worst manager in hockey, let alone all pro sports. Put the pipe down.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Post the Souray mess, I don't really see a single "wrong" move or even a particularly questionable one. The most controversial, I'd think, was Gilbert for Schultz. Ignoring that most of this place couldn't wait to see the back of Gilbert, I'd think it's pretty rich that dealing a #4 for another #4 at the same salary was such a lost trade here.

I get it, though. A right-handed puck mover should yield more value than left-handed shutdown D. Except our team is better now because of that move. At the very least more balanced.

Other than that, what is there? The Smyth trade and signing, Justin Schultz, the Petry signing, the draft decisions... all immaculate. Dubnyk makes too much money, but given that we've signed players like Smid, Smyth and Petry to value deals, it doesn't hurt too much. Belanger and Eager? Probably the two best UFA options for the holes we were trying to fill, both utterly consistent until they got here. They were both blackholes, but they make no money, and I don't think anybody would be surprised if they have much better years.
Maybe it's nitpicking, but I have to take issue with a couple of things here. Firstly, I would call Gilbert a #3. As for Schultz, Bob Stauffer regularly refers to him as a #5. I tend to agree with that. Secondly, I'm not sold on the drafting. I will certainly concede that it's better now than when KP was running the show, but how much better is still inconclusive IMO. Yeah, Stu did fine with the #1 overalls, and he certainly hit a homerun with Eberle, but beyond that... I want to see some of the other picks pans out before I use words like "immaculate" to describe the job he's doing. As for Belanger and Eager, as I said before I'm willing to wait and see because I think the coaching may have done a lot to hurt them last year... which once again opens the door on Tambo's record in finding head coaches. A pretty poor record if you ask me.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
And the fans and organization were a much bigger laughing stock when they chasing after big name UFAs and being rejected, along with the offseason soap operas as the team desperately plied the trade market for players an effort to replace all the players who were fleeing the team as fast as they could. Now the team has a future with 5 bankable stars anchoring the team, and outright envy from around the league at this team's potential.

IIRC, Tambo was in on that group that basically begged Dany Heatley to please come to our poor old team. As I said earlier in this thread, the only reason Tambo has done what he's done the last few years is because these are the orders he's gotten from Katz. When Katz was still thinking like he was going to try a Philly-style rebuild, with aggressive moves like flying to Heatley's summer cottage to beg him to come here, then Tambo did as he was told and followed orders.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Kevin Lowe isn't even the worst manager in hockey, let alone all pro sports. Put the pipe down.

Hyperbole (pron.: /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-PUR-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.[2]

Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect. As a literary device, hyperbole is often used in poetry, and is frequently encountered in casual speech. An example of hyperbole is: "The bag weighed a ton."[3] Hyperbole makes the point that the bag was very heavy, though it probably doesn't actually weigh a ton.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I hate the Pittsburgh team but even when they won the cup they still had to trade for pieces to make the run. I've already established that Colorado made some great trades to get where they got and that none of their 1st overall played for them when they won the cup. Chicago and LA built a team the way I expect a team to rebuild so why even bring them up? If we win the cup it wil really depend on the circumstances that got us there. If Tambo just decides to keep bombing it again this year I'm going to be pissed, he needs to start doing his job and stop thinking Barker is a #2 defenseman. How anyone can support this clown is beyond me.

Of course Pittsburgh had to trade for some pieces that ultimately helped them win the cup, but that was a few years after they had their big drafts. And not everybody gets the luxury of a Crosby either. Colorado may not have kept all their top picks but they sure as hell used them to get what they needed. It doesn't appear that we'll necessarily need to trade ours. As has been pointed out, Chicago and L.A both sucked for many years, and had multiple high end picks, so I'm not sure how you figure they're that different. Last I looked, Barker isn't on the team this year, and Justin Schultz, one of Tambo's UFA signings is in his place. Hopefully that helps. Even if the team does well this year (which I personally think they will), I doubt you'll give Tambo any credit anyhow, so I'm not sure how he can win, in your mind.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
yes he was.

when reading this thread one thing becomes obvious. the haters sure ignore alot of facts that dont fit thier hate. makes for an easy win when one side doesnt use all facts in the arguement. just makes you look dumb, even if your on the right side.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=862533&highlight=voynov&page=14

You can go through this thread because this is what I remember. I see one guy in there put Voynov in the same class as Forbort, Hickey, and Teubert in the thread. Maybe he was well known by LA fans but for the general hockey fans he was just another d man in an already deep LA system.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Of course Pittsburgh had to trade for some pieces that ultimately helped them win the cup, but that was a few years after they had their big drafts. And not everybody gets the luxury of a Crosby either. Colorado may not have kept all their top picks but they sure as hell used them to get what they needed. It doesn't appear that we'll necessarily need to trade ours. As has been pointed out, Chicago and L.A both sucked for many years, and had multiple high end picks, so I'm not sure how you figure they're that different. Last I looked, Barker isn't on the team this year, and Justin Schultz, one of Tambo's UFA signings is in his place. Hopefully that helps. Even if the team does well this year (which I personally think they will), I doubt you'll give Tambo any credit anyhow, so I'm not sure how he can win, in your mind.

Chicago and LA continued to improve and make trades for younger guys who ended up helping them win cups. For an example look at guys like Sharp, Greene, Stoll, Campbell(yes bad contract still a hell of a d man), Ladd and I'm sure theres more if I look back through the years. It's not bringing in these guys now and letting them mature while we rebuild that going to hurt the Oilers as we wont have the depth to compete for a few more seasons IMO.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Hyperbole (pron.: /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-PUR-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή hyperbolē, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.[2]

Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect. As a literary device, hyperbole is often used in poetry, and is frequently encountered in casual speech. An example of hyperbole is: "The bag weighed a ton."[3] Hyperbole makes the point that the bag was very heavy, though it probably doesn't actually weigh a ton.

I think the fact I took you seriously says something about your tone, Angry Guy.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

So if we consider everything you post on this site as Hyperbole, then you'll make more sense?

Gotcha! :naughty:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
IIRC, Tambo was in on that group that basically begged Dany Heatley to please come to our poor old team. As I said earlier in this thread, the only reason Tambo has done what he's done the last few years is because these are the orders he's gotten from Katz. When Katz was still thinking like he was going to try a Philly-style rebuild, with aggressive moves like flying to Heatley's summer cottage to beg him to come here, then Tambo did as he was told and followed orders.

Never said otherwise.

Both the EIG and Katz were meddling in how the team was run pushing for that big splash, along with a deliusional management group that still believed the vets(Horcoff/Moreau etc) could be successful, and it was a mess.

Just be glad we have a owner that can see reason, and has the fortitude see an extremely undesirable plan through. We can complain about all the losses, lack of moves, or supposed legion of bad moves, but we never would have aquired RNH/Yakupov/Shultz/Hall if they hadn't set on and stuck to that path. People can minimize the contributions or the work and patience involved in the rebuild, but we wouldn't have any of those young stars without Tambo/Lowe.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I think the fact I took you seriously says something about your tone, Angry Guy.

LOL, sorry for being so angry. I always refer to KLowe as the worst manager in pro-sports, and have explained in the past this is just an exageration ... he's terrible, but he isn't quite as bad as Mike Milbury. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad