Burke gone, what about tambo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
So if the oilers don't make playoffs this year, will Tambo be around next year?

I think he will, but I don't want him to be unless we have some proper and successful vets on our team other than Ryan Smyth.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers won't fire anyone except maybe the coach, and Kreuger will get more than a half season look.

The organization simply isn't run that way.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I'd rather the Oilers didn't model their organization after the Leafs. Giving a man a chance to do his work is better than the rotating sideshow the Leafs GM position has turned into.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
One problem: Tambellini hasn't done any work.

hey smiling aint easy!!
I dont think Lowe hired Tambo to do any work anyways... He is hired so Lowe can run the team without losing his hair.

rebuilding a Canadian team isnt that easy..

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
If they compete for a playoff spot I think he's safe. Tambo has been cautious, hasn't done anything crazy so really I can't complain too much about what he's done (at least since the rebuild started). I'd rather have him than some guy who goes and trades the first overall pick for something weird.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
30th, 30th, 29th and 3 different coaches during his tenure. I'm not sure if any other GM would be able to keep his job after those kind of results..

Having said that, I'm glad he did such a crappy job at improving this club so that we could end up with Hall, RNH, and Yakupov.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If they compete for a playoff spot I think he's safe. Tambo has been cautious, hasn't done anything crazy so really I can't complain too much about what he's done (at least since the rebuild started). I'd rather have him than some guy who goes and trades the first overall pick for something weird.

Are you suggesting that flipping, say, Eberle and the Nuge (Prospect and a pick) for, say, Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville and Luke Adam, in a panicked move to get better now would have been a bad decision?

Oct 15, 2008
Are you suggesting that flipping, say, Eberle and the Nuge (Prospect and a pick) for, say, Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville and Luke Adam, in a panicked move to get better now would have been a bad decision?

Are you suggesting that a team who has just finished last three years running under your tenure only needs to add two rookies to make the playoffs?

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
If they aren't at least within 4 points of a playoff spot at the end of the season he should be gone. Although, I would laugh my ass off to see the Oil finish 9th and win the draft lottery again, just to see Tambos troll face one last time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Let the man do his rebuild, its a 5 year rebuild. Firing him now would be horrible.

Tambo hasnt done anything? Thats a good thing. Would you like him to throw away 1st round picks?

What has he done? He dealt Penner (who would go on to have a horrible season) for Klefbom (very good d prospect) Zharkov (decent prospect) and Tuebert (average d prospect) and freed up cap space.

He also landed Schultz.

The only thing I fault him for is not landing a D fa this past FA period.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Are you suggesting that a team who has just finished last three years running under your tenure only needs to add two rookies to make the playoffs?

Plus the other 3 are a year older, a year better, and healthy. Not like they have all reached their peak and will have same PT totals as last year

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Let the man do his rebuild, its a 5 year rebuild. Firing him now would be horrible.

Tambo hasnt done anything? Thats a good thing. Would you like him to throw away 1st round picks?

What has he done? He dealt Penner (who would go on to have a horrible season) for Klefbom (very good d prospect) Zharkov (decent prospect) and Tuebert (average d prospect) and freed up cap space.

He also landed Schultz.

The only thing I fault him for is not landing a D fa this past FA period.

And if we finish bottom 5?

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Lets be honest here. Any GM could of done what Tamby is done, Hall, RNH, Yakupov easy picks.

Can anybody find another team that has placed Last, Last, Second last and the GM kept his job?

Almost every move he has made has sucked, the only improvement he has done was 1st overall, which i think makes it obvious that he doesn't know how to build a team.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Lets be honest here. Any GM could of done what Tamby is done, Hall, RNH, Yakupov easy picks.

Can anybody find another team that has placed Last, Last, Second last and the GM kept his job?

Almost every move he has made has sucked, the only improvement he has done was 1st overall, which i think makes it obvious that he doesn't know how to build a team.

Not almost every move has sucked. Some worked out some didn't, but that happens with every GM.

It is important to look at the team in context. When he took over they were about to go into a tailspin. The vets weren't good enough and neither were the prospects. The cup run led to long contracts for guys like Pisani, Horcoff etc..that turned into unmovable assets. You have to give him some props for going full rebuild once it was clear the Oilers were headed to the basement. He didn't try and "retool" ala Calgary and Burke...he pretty much cleared out the entire team and started over. There is what like 2 players left from those terrible teams?

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
If the Oilers Don't improve this year tambo should be fired but if we compete for a playoff spot like i think we will then i think he stays.

Riverboat Danglers

Apr 3, 2012
I dont see why there is so much hate towards him. Let him do what he came into do. We asked for a rebuild and were stoked on it and now in the 4th year of the rebuild we have no patience? Come on wait a season and see what happens. Why dont we see this year if doober can hold up for a year. Why dont we see if a healthy Whitney can give us a top 4. He has made bad moves and he has made great moves. But which GM hasnt. I would still say he has made a lot better of moves than a lot of GM's in the league. You also have to remember that he didnt have a lot to work with when he came in. If he had of made that blockbuster trade that we all wanted who wouldnt be here right now? Ebs? Hall? Nuge? Let him finish what he started. If we are still a mess in a couple years then yes give him the ax. But lets what and see how this team looks this year. Sure our defence is weak. But like ebs and hall both said. The responsibility is on everyone. We also need to stop turning the puck over. A lot of times the kids left us high and dry. Its a learning process. I hate how impatient some ppl are. Stick by your team and lets see what this team can do. If we cant do it then get someone else to blow it up once again.

Riverboat Danglers

Apr 3, 2012
Its not like he came out and promised us a playoff run like Feaster. He has stuck to his plan. Of course he is gonna say he wants to make the playoffs. Everyone does. But lets see how this team turns out. We have a lot of interesting pieces coming in that could be the answer. And like I said what will doober do this year. Can he be a number 1? Goalies take a while to develop and he has had glimpses of being a legit guy.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
And if we finish bottom 5?

Look at situation, if its because of major injuries: keep him for one more year and make a significant trade

if its because players are sucking: Maybe let Tambo go and Im all for trading one of the big 4/5 to get a piece that can help us win. Im not married to these guys. If we can get Petroangelo, pull the trigger

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
The Schultz signing itself should buy him a year. They handled it great as an organization. Some may say that it was not Tambo who stickhandled it (and it may not have been), but the reality is that they needed to get him, and they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad