Burakovsky and Kuznetsov

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Bura lacks the instincts but he is getting better at board battles. He can strip someone on the back check and isn't afraid to block a shot.

He also loves that extremely dangerous cross ice pass at the blue line. I'm optimistic that he can become a non-liability defensively in relatively short order. Personally I hope he develops as a wing so it's not really an issue.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He also loves that extremely dangerous cross ice pass at the blue line. I'm optimistic that he can become a non-liability defensively in relatively short order. Personally I hope he develops as a wing so it's not really an issue.

Reminds you of someone?

Semin.jpg

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Capitals are in win-now mode. Having Burakovsky as offensive depth is more important than his development at the moment.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why is Bura dumped on the fourth line with no pp time?

How does that help his development?

He has to earn the big minutes, I think he's not ready yet for a permanent spot in the top 9. There is no one on the wings above him in the depth chart that he can displace right now.

I wanted the management to send him down to the AHL earlier this season to give him more ice time and to help build his confidence for the playoffs.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
Patience, patience and patience again. Look at Wilson. Some people believed it's worth to send him down to Hershey for bigger minutes. But he plays now far more important role than a headless grinder on the 4th line. Last season he wasn't ready to play constantly on the 3rd line and on a PK unit. This season he deserves Trotz's praise for great improvement in his game. I'm not sure about proper Bura's development in the AHL.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Patience, patience and patience again. Look at Wilson. Some people believed it's worth to send him down to Hershey for bigger minutes. But he plays now far more important role than a headless grinder on the 4th line. Last season he wasn't ready to play constantly on the 3rd line and on a PK unit. This season he deserves Trotz's praise for great improvement in his game. I'm not sure about proper Bura's development in the AHL.

There's a decent % of fans who are stuck in the past in terms of how player development should be handled. Most automatically default to "you must send the player down to develop him" logic, when in reality, it must be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Keeping Wilson up is looking smarter each season, hell each game where he makes an impact.

I'd keep Bura up and let him play through it. If he plays better, he's going to get bumped up in the lineup.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Wilson has been good recently. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have been better if he had spent some time in the A, which he totally should have.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wilson has been good recently. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have been better if he had spent some time in the A, which he totally should have.

This.

IMO he'd be even further along had he played a seasonn+ in Hershey.

You have nothing but opinion to support that, but OK. At least we have real life evidence of how he's progressed in the NHL with his ACTUAL development path.

Humor us, just how much further along do you think he'd be if he was dangling career minor leaguers in the AHL for a season? And I say humor, because there's nothing to support it other than opinion. Maybe your reply would be better placed in the Wilson thread...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You have nothing but opinion to support that, but OK. At least we have real life evidence of how he's progressed in the NHL with his ACTUAL development path.

Humor us, just how much further along do you think he'd be if he was dangling career minor leaguers in the AHL for a season? And I say humor, because there's nothing to support it other than opinion. Maybe your reply would be better placed in the Wilson thread...

Oates rushed Wilson in that first year. He could've refined his hands and playmaking earlier if he spent some time in the AHL.

Jun 15, 2007
Kinda POed Kuz didn't make the All Star team. Deserved to be there.

?

It hasn't come out yet has it?

But I don't think he will make it either way with Ovechkin, Holtby and Carlson probably taking up 3 spots.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

You have nothing to support that he wouldn't have progressed better if not rushed. This is all speculative, all opinion. Seems silly to criticize people for that.

I think he should have been in the OHL getting 20 minutes per game + PP time his first year, rather than 4 minutes a game under Oates. I didn't see much development from anyone on the roster that season, so I can't imagine a guy getting no meaningful game time developed much at all. I don't think that season doomed his offensive development or anything, it just delayed it a year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad