Post-Game Talk: Buffy the Panther Slayer | Jets win 3-2 in OT

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Everyone knows that goalies dont reach their potential till 26 - 27 so I think that we havent seen the whole story yet.

If he doesnt get better then oh well we will have an average goalie and will just have to hope that we can win with that. Its been done before

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
FWIW, I agree with you.

As do I.

I guess I get frustrated because two things:

1) I really think Pavelec has an immense amount of raw talent and could be consistently above average

2) I have a pet-peeve of common misconceptions... (aside: that's why I tend to defend a lot of the "bubble" or middle players, as they usually get shat on for not being the superstars and not being the blue collar bottom guys)

Thanks, guys. I feel like I'm painting myself as some Pavs hater when I'm not. I want him to succeed so badly because I know how important he is going to be to this teams success over the next few years.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Everyone knows that goalies dont reach their potential till 26 - 27 so I think that we havent seen the whole story yet.

If he doesnt get better then oh well we will have an average goalie and will just have to hope that we can win with that. Its been done before

I would hope that people don't know goalies peak at 26 or 27 as it is statistically untrue. Most goalies hit their peak sv% at 24-25. Some hit it latter, but by no means is it a rule.
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/12/10/another-look-at-how-goalies-age-can-we-correct-for-bias

Also, if he doesn't get better he will not be average as he has been below average to date. Too many bad games to justify the good is not a trend I want to keep repeating. I really hope he can find consistency soon.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I would hope that people don't know goalies peak at 26 or 27 as it is statistically untrue. Most goalies hit their peak sv% at 24-25. Some hit it latter, but by no means is it a rule.
http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/12/10/another-look-at-how-goalies-age-can-we-correct-for-bias

Also, if he doesn't get better he will not be average as he has been below average to date. Too many bad games to justify the good is not a trend I want to keep repeating. I really hope he can find consistency soon.

I think peaking at SV% and Maturing as a goaltender are two different things. Look at the top tenders today their play and numbers jump around 26-27

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Yeah, it's annoying as hell. Way I see it he's got until the end of 2013-14 season to at least improve his consistency and work hard at correcting his flaws. We're tied to his contract and nobody at all needs to trade for an underachieving goalie. The Jets draft picks will be then AT EARLIEST have a year of NHL experience, so we might as well give Pavs some time to figure his **** out. Because when he does, we'll have ourselves a very good goaltender. If not, he'll lose his starter job and TNSE will just have to eat the salary as a mistake.

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site
The last 2 games are the only games that I can remember this season where our goaltenders stole games for us.

I remember 2 games that Buff won it for us.

I remember 2 games where Little won it for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad