Post-Game Talk: Buffy the Panther Slayer | Jets win 3-2 in OT

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The only reason I brought it up again tonight is that someone said that people who said Pavelec is a bad goalie etc. should just shut up after tonights performance.

I wanted to clarify my position, which is, one performance does not erase the months and months of stats and facts that paint a more accurate picture of Pavelec.

Just because I am being critical of Ondrej doesn't mean I want him shipped out of town, or I hate him. I am looking at his play objectively. I saw a very good Pavelec last year, and a not so great Pavs. I gave him the benefit of the doubt last season, as I did many, especially because he was brilliant around Christmas.

This year, after the contract, I looked at him with a more critical eye. He gets the starts and the pay of a starting goaltender. Now his numbers need to be there, on a consistent basis. That is what defines a good starting goalie.

If Pavelec can't bring it game in and game out, Montoya needs to start more.

For the sake of accuracy and fairness, here is my comment:

"Good to see Pavelec shut some people up tonight."

And you spin into "someone said that people who said Pavelec is a bad goalie etc. should just shut up"?

Defensive much? He silenced the critics for a night. I'd prefer to enjoy the silence.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
For the sake of accuracy and fairness, here is my comment:

"Good to see Pavelec shut some people up tonight."

And you spin into "someone said that people who said Pavelec is a bad goalie etc. should just shut up"?

Defensive much? He silenced the critics for a night. I'd prefer to enjoy the silence.

Lets talk when he does it consistently. Pavs showed us that he can be the guy....he just has to be the guy 85-90% of the time. Accounting for your entitled bad days.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Pavs can certainly steal games for us. However, his proclivity for crapping the bed currently outweighs that. I really hope that he can mature as a player.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
He got suckered into a fight
There should have been an instigator on Yonkman

Sure should have been!

IMO the first goal could easily been waved off because of Huberdeau making illegal contact with Pavs.

In the last three of games we had a lot of missed calls and therefore weak calls against us.

Winnipeg 11th in PIM/Game
Florida 9th
Tampa 19th

@FLA
Jets 3 Penaltys
Panthers 0

@TBL
Jets 6 Penaltys
Lightning 3

@FLA
Jets 5 Penaltys
Panthers 2

As you see, statistically we take the same amount of penaltys as the Panthers and less as the Lightning.

I hope this will turn around in the next couple of games and the questionable calls go our way.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
GermanJetsFan,

I think maybe Noel should start ripping into the refs a little bit.

Like Laviolette or Tortorella (maybe not that extreme) they seem to get some pretty favorable calls every now and then.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Good thing we turned our PK around and went 21 for 21 in the last couple of games. If we wouldn't have, I'm pretty sure we'd have lost all three of them.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good thing we turned our PK around and went 21 for 21 in the last couple of games. If we wouldn't have, I'm pretty sure we'd have lost all three of them.

I agree ......huge stat.

Our goal tending has been much much better......getting Bogo back and also getting the player mix up front better has helped.

PP has actually looked a bit better as well but we are not getting the results yet.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I agree ......huge stat.

Our goal tending has been much much better......getting Bogo back and also getting the player mix up front better has helped.

PP has actually looked a bit better as well but we are not getting the results yet.

Getting Enström back and letting him take Jokinen's spot on the point would help. He does, after all, have 6 PPP to Jokinen's 1.

Toby is still our leading scorer on the PP btw. 2 points ahead of a bunch of guys.:help:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree ......huge stat.

Another big part is Buff buying into a commitment to defense. I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of his now that he is turning into an offensive defenseman rather that a rover. Since he has such a big influence on this team this seems to stabilized other areas. I really hope when Toby gets back this continues, rather than him converting back because he trusts Toby to cover up for him. The way I see it less offense from our defense = better all around team = more wins and a chance for the playoffs.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Another big part is Buff buying into a commitment to defense. I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of his now that he is turning into an offensive defenseman rather that a rover. Since he has such a big influence on this team this seems to stabilized other areas. I really hope when Toby gets back this continues, rather than him converting back because he trusts Toby to cover up for him. The way I see it less offense from our defense = better all around team = more wins and a chance for the playoffs.

Great post I was going to mention it as well but Buff has been very responsible defensively for a while now. Not sure if it's his injuries still slowing him a bit or just the realization that leaving alone on an island is not a good idea. also it seems like he is throwing at least one thunderous hit a game now if not more.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Great post I was going to mention it as well but Buff has been very responsible defensively for a while now. Not sure if it's his injuries still slowing him a bit or just the realization that leaving alone on an island is not a good idea. also it seems like he is throwing at least one thunderous hit a game now if not more.

I think it was on Noel's hour long interview on H & L earlier this week where he talked about how when he watched tapes of the team in their last year in Atlanta, he felt Buff was given a continuous green light, and every player on the ice was forced to adapt to Buff's freelancing. And over the last while he and Huddy have been working with Buff to become more selective and play within a system where the green light is not always on.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think it was on Noel's hour long interview on H & L earlier this week where he talked about how when he watched tapes of the team in their last year in Atlanta, he felt Buff was given a continuous green light, and every player on the ice was forced to adapt to Buff's freelancing. And over the last while he and Huddy have been working with Buff to become more selective and play within a system where the green light is not always on.

I like the idea of picking your spots a bit more than strait green light all the time. Buff needs to be Buff and I am sure the organization doesn't want to squash him but its good to find a balance. lately I have really enjoyed watching him play his position as you said "Offensive defensman not rover".

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I like the idea of picking your spots a bit more than strait green light all the time. Buff needs to be Buff and I am sure the organization doesn't want to squash him but its good to find a balance. lately I have really enjoyed watching him play his position as you said "Offensive defensman not rover".

If Buff can find the right balance he has the talent to be one of the best d-man in the league. All the greats consistently do it at both ends night after night.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Well I don't rely exclusively on stats...
Goalie guild doesn't use stats and has been a apologist for Pav's for a while and still doesn't think he's league average yet or has broken out. They said that they hoped this would be Pav's 1st real season as a contender.

There are many variables... but remember that:
1) variables count in both ways not just one
2) those variables act against all goalies

It's been shown time and time again that defensive structure and teams do not affect SV%...
Look at how Tippett and Hitchcock only have improved their goaltenders on an average by the 3rd decimal... in otherwords moving to the leagues best systems and your save percentage will on average only improve by 0.00X...

Here's the biggest thing with me and Pavelec...
How much fault can the team's defense really claim when the Jets' are above average in:
*Shots against per minute
*Possession
*Out-chancing their opponents
*Percentage of shots within the perimeter
Do I think this team's D is perfect... Clistome no!
Do I think this team's D could improve? Hell yes.
But, there is no ****ing way that a team can be consistently two seasons back to back above league average in those departments but not GA and have above league average goaltending...
It's not possible.
The Jets team defense can't be good at everything except where it's convenient for Pavelec's defense.

Agreed! Good post Garret.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
on buff - i'd also like to think that the loss of Toby has been good for him. He knows he can't do the things he does with Toby, when he's with Clitsome or Hainsey.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Pavs being a Career .906 on young teams that didnt make the playoffs seems about right to me.

He will be in his prime when this team starts making playoffs and once the team is better I'm sure those numbers will go up. Then again I could careless about numbers I wanna see him play some playoff games then we will all know what we got.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets must give up the worst/most great scoring chances in the league. They leave their goalies out to dry so much. Put Pavs on Boston or STL and his save percentage would be .930 or bring Rask in here and he'd be .905 right now too. Those teams limit those chances in the prime scoring areas. That is the one thing going into next year I think we really need to tighten down on to become a playoff team.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Heh, true. Granted they suck, but I just don't see there being enough room for letting teams take a point, especially in our division where nothing seems certain. We need to play to win and walk away with two in regulation. Just my take on things.

I would be concerned...if it wasn't our first OT win. Your not going to end every game against division rivals in regualtion. I'd rather the game against the elast threatening team be the one we give up the OT point on.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
The Jets must give up the worst/most great scoring chances in the league. They leave their goalies out to dry so much. Put Pavs on Boston or STL and his save percentage would be .930 or bring Rask in here and he'd be .905 right now too. Those teams limit those chances in the prime scoring areas. That is the one thing going into next year I think we really need to tighten down on to become a playoff team.

except what your suggesting has never happened for more then one season....ever

research has shown the most a coach/system can improve a goaly is about .08 (I think) in sv%. That might ahve been .008 actually...

every time you see a goaly move teams and put up an unusually high sv %, it come back down the following year.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Lets talk when he does it consistently. Pavs showed us that he can be the guy....he just has to be the guy 85-90% of the time. Accounting for your entitled bad days.

No doubt. I agree that he needs to the #1 guy, but I'd prefer to see Monty get a more regular rotation. At least until we can no longer say he is undefeated.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
We won when we were Mr. Hyde

THAT IS A GOOD THING

sorry to bomb all of these posts in the thread, but i totally agree. Yes this game was a "mr hyde", but we won, and that's something that we've recently been saying the Jets needed to do (win games they shouldn't, win without 100% from everyon, etc etc). Even if it was ugly, there's definitely a positive in that performance.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
If Buff can find the right balance he has the talent to be one of the best d-man in the league. All the greats consistently do it at both ends night after night.

Buff's conditioning and off season workout habits need to improve before he can take the next step to becoming elite NHL D man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad