Post-Game Talk: Buffed - Jets 5 Sharks 4 (OT)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Buff really pissed me off on the tying goal and then the beyond stupid penalty he took. Good on him for making amends in OT.

Hope Kuli is back soon, he was playing extremely well imo

Myers - man, when he is on he is so poised and patient with the puck. If he could ever do that more consistently.

Dano still is not impressing me. Turning the puck over and not really generating much. Looks like his time might be up with the play of Roslo and Connor.

I kinda hate the Sharks, tbh. I wanted someone to dummy Dillon.

That was a frustrating game to watch BUT a perfect illustration of how this team is different. So deep, and more mature, we don't fold like a cheap tent. We can play like butt and still beat a good team.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
IMG_0476.jpg
That was a storm, all right. A shit storm

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
All 5 skaters on the ice pissed me off on that shift. They all share a piece in that goal. Puck should have been out of the zone a couple of times.
Oh I agree, I don't even hold Buff accountable for that goal, it was a comedy of errors and you just knew the Sharks were going to score.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Oh I agree, I don't even hold Buff accountable for that goal, it was a comedy of errors and you just knew the Sharks were going to score.

It all started when Roslovic had a chance to clear the zone and threw it blindly up the middle ... rookie move ... and the puck never made it out of the zone after that. I don't think the highlights go back that far as the Jets were running around for a while.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This was a statement game !!! - a thrilla !!!

This was a loosely played game and the Jet's gave up to many odd man rushes, and the Sharks had a couple of clean breakaways, but Helle came up big. The Sharks also played loose, and really the game was exciting to watch, and the Jet's made a statement. The Shark's came back from 3-0 down to tie the game up, but the Jet's held their poise and came back to win. ( very impressive)

It's nice to know, that without Scheif, Lowry and Kulikov, we beat won of the top clubs in the NHL, and that spoke loudly to me -"this team is really for real."

Myer's played great, and set up 2 goals, and without him, we would have lost, just like many other games. Myer's is one of the "key differences" between this year's Jet's and last years Jets. We absolutely need his scoring. Myer's also stopped a breakaway with his long reach, and that was another "difference" making play. For those posters that are down on Myers -- they should re-examine their thoughts on him.-- "he's great."

Eher's and Little played great, and you can see with Ehler's skating around opponents, he opens up so much ice, and set's up plays. The guy is like catching a squirrel, and the defenders are intimidated by his speed. I noticed also that Little is getting stronger each game out this year, and a good game by him.

Joel Armia with his 2 goals, was also a force out there. That trade with Buffalo is looking better all the time, as Armia is becoming a real integral part of the Jets game. He's great on defense, and as his confidence is growing , he's now becoming a big scoring threat. We have so many guys that can score.

Trouba also had a strong game, and played good in the defensive zone, and also was great offensively, and put quite a few pucks on net. Hopefully he can re-signed at a reasonable contract amount. It was nice to see him come to Kulikov's defense and rough up that Shark's guy. It will be hard for him not to re-sign with the Jet's, as they will be a Stanley Cup contender.

Buff - what can you say ??? yes he set up the "overtime" goal, but took a stupid penalty near the end, that just about cost us the game. Do we need Buff ??? - yes and no. We need his physical presence or more guys will be run into the boards like Kulikov -- especially in the playoffs. He's good offensively though, and we need that.

We don't need his undisciplined play for $ 7.8 million a year, and the management should consider trading him for a center ( only if Trouba re-signs) and if not talk to him, and pressure him into playing within the Jet's system. This can be done.

Overall the Jet's showed a lot of character out on the road, for their 3rd straight victory, and this is clearly a team with a new identity. They have a very good chance against the Ducks to make it 4 in a row. There's a lot to be said for a team like this, winning without some of it's top players. !!!

Way to go Jets !!! :thumbu:

BTW- still not impressed with Dano--but very impressed with Roslo --"he should stay up with the club"

Last edited:
Reactions: Georgetown Al

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I blame Laine more than anyone else. He had the puck on his stick at least 3 times. He couldn't do anything with it except give it up softly.

His biggest weakness is softly turning it over. He needs to work on that - a lot.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Buff would have received at least 5 games for a hit like that, simply for being Buff. I'm fine with no suspension, Hertl was sufficiently penalized IMO.

5 and a game is a pretty stiff penalty in and of itself. Often we look for supplemental discipline for when the player lays out a vicious hit which wasn't called at all, or maybe only gets 2 minutes.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Toby knew Sestito was coming and still turns. So it's Toby's fault that he got his face smashed in from an illegal hit from behind?

You bare SOME responsibility.
You know a guy is coming at you and has you lined up. What idiot turns at the last second? One who wants his neck broken I guess.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
All 5 skaters on the ice pissed me off on that shift. They all share a piece in that goal. Puck should have been out of the zone a couple of times.
Starting with Roslovic. Love him and have liked his game since before he was drafted but that was his worst game as a Jet this year. Bad shift by all but it started with 52 not getting the puck out of the zone when he was pretty much uncontested to do that.

Reactions: Evil Little

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
It's 95% on Hertl, 5% on Kulikov, IMHO.

Unless it's completely unavoidable, the hitting player always has the option of changing his angle or letting up. Always. These guys react crazy fast. Much faster than us. Kulikov turns his back to Hertl in order protect the puck, and probably play it around the boards. He leaves himself vulnerable and probably expects some contact, but doesn't expect to be boarded. This sort of play happens without incident...again, 95% of the time, because the hitter lets up.

Ultimately, the hitter has the final say, and the power to determine how every scenario like this is resolved.

Just because a player leaves himself in a vulnerable position (and it happens a hundred times a game, without incident) doesn't alleviate you of your responsibility ('hey he wasn't protecting himself...that's the first rule in boxing...er, I mean hockey...maybe...'). The hitter has the last move, and decides the outcome . 'He was just asking for it because of how he was positioned' doesn't change that.

95% on Hertl for not letting up. being caught in the heat of the moment, and not even considering trying to make a play on the puck.
5% on Kulikov for not being able to predict that Hertl would break an NHL rule.

No suspension for Hertl because there was no intent to injure here and no prior offenses, etc.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Obviously, you don't live in Winnipeg. :laugh:
Really? Well, Armia must feel just like home there :naughty:

Btw one more thought about that Kuli-Hertl incident. Think about it being Buff instead of Kulikov. Hertl would still be sitting there wondering what ran over him when Buff would've given him a counter hit :D

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Best game I have ever seen from Myers. He looked like a top pairing defenceman in that game. Depth on defense is what is keeping the Jets afloat during this injured stretch. You could see the Sharks taking over certain parts of that game but the Jets transition is so damn good because there are no weak links on the back end. Can't get Lowry back soon enough that was the kind of game you NEED a big shutdown center for. Sharks were taking liberties.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Maybe I am incorrect, but this is how I view it.
(snip)

I appreciate your work in putting together a thorough analysis, but I disagree on your analysis based on the camera angle these shots are taken from. From these pictures it does look like Kuli saw Hertl and that it's last minute numbers, but Hertl is approaching from closer to the center of the ice and so he's looking at mostly the numbers the whole way.

This angle is very deceiving in my opinion - it would only be accurate if the players were both on the same plane in relation to the lens. I don't believe Kuli saw him coming - the only way he could have was peripheral vision which is good at catching movement but not so much with detail.

I'm sick and tired of concussions in sport, and this was not a 'hockey' hit. It may or may not be a diagnosed concussion, but you can bet it did some internal damage. A lot of forecheckers will try to strip the puck from the D, and that takes talent and I respect that. You can come in hard and create turnovers. Take a look a Perreault's forechecking. I don't respect those who take advantage of players in vulnerable situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad