Post-Game Talk: Buffed - Jets 5 Sharks 4 (OT)

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Well, if they faced the car then they could do this, so they really do have to shoulder some of the blame. :sarcasm:

giphy.gif
:D
But seriously, that was quite poor analogy. Pedestrians are not supposed to expect that. A hockey player on the other hand should be aware that someone might hit them, as hockey is a contact sport.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Did anybody else notice that earlier in the game Kulikov crushed someone along the boards (clean hit), was it Hertl? If so, I think that should play into the hearing and potentially whether it was a retaliation hit

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Hertl needs to let up when he sees the numbers. That's the rule. That's why there was a penalty. You can argue the wisdom of what Kuli did if you like (assuming that Hertl would follow the rule), but that doesn't change the rule. If you try to justify the hit as Kuli's fault, then you are basically saying that the Sestito hit on Toby was Toby's fault as well. Go watch it. Similar situation where Toby turns shortly before Sestito smashes his face into the boards from behind. Both the Hertl hit and the Sestito hit were illegal checks from behind into the boards.

Nov 24, 2006
I am just sooooooooooooo worried about the fact that Jets are not going anywhere in playoffs if buff is playing like he has played whole season. Last night his presence did result many goals against, game before that Hellebyuck saved the day with amazing game. Buff was giving opponent chances left and right that game also. Edmonton Oilers did trade chances in 80s and won, those days are over.

Where could this team go with Super tight defense and Hellebyuck who can win games by himself. Where could this team go with Josh Morrissey as quarterback on power play with Laine on the wing.

Lets get Gudbransson at trade deadline and put buff to a role he deserves, as buy out player.

That's crazy talk.

It wouldn't hurt for Maurice (or Huddy) to trim Buff's TOI by 2-3 minutes though.

Reactions: Evil Little

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I don't want to be too hard on Kulikov considering the number of times per game that defencemen will take forechecking pressure square in the numbers without incident.

The goal got scored literally under his nose. I remind you he is arguably the biggest and strongest guy in NHL if he starts to play the body (this goes for PK as well) Meier never gets the shot away, but after his paycheck season he is not dominant physical good Buff. But sure, you can blame a 19-teen yo a rookie and winger who plays center every time (three of them combined getting paid less then Big Buff). Easy

That's not Byfuglien. That's Mark Stuart. You can find him clearing the front of the net with his physicality in the DEL if you want.

Reactions: Duke749 and Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I really think our pick a guy and follow him D zone system just doesn’t work for guys like Enstrom and Buff who have lost a step or two. They are constantly getting pulled up the boards, leaving a gaping hole in front of the net and in the middle of the ice generally. It’s way too easy to get open ice in front of Helle.
That's a situationl thing, I don't see the Jets doing this as a specific coverage scheme. Sometimes the flow of play or a certain situation dictates the D follows a forward up the wall. It's on the forwards to recognize this and adjust until the D can get back down low.

They don't seem to be giving up too many 10 bell chances this season. not sure I agree it's a big issue.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The goal got scored literally under his nose. I remind you he is arguably the biggest and strongest guy in NHL if he starts to play the body (this goes for PK as well) Meier never gets the shot away, but after his paycheck season he is not dominant physical good Buff. But sure, you can blame a 19-teen yo a rookie and winger who plays center every time (three of them combined getting paid less then Big Buff). Easy
Running around and clearing bodies is the surest way to get yourself out of position. Unless it involves the puck, it's largely useless.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Did anybody else notice that earlier in the game Kulikov crushed someone along the boards (clean hit), was it Hertl? If so, I think that should play into the hearing and potentially whether it was a retaliation hit

You can't make judgments based on what you think is going through someone's mind. Although if they did, I would up the penalty for a retaliatory hit because it shows an inability to control one's anger and makes the hit look more predatory.

Reactions: Jets2point0

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
:D
But seriously, that was quite poor analogy. Pedestrians are not supposed to expect that. A hockey player on the other hand should be aware that someone might hit them, as hockey is a contact sport.
but it's not.
it was an illegal hit. hence the penalty and misconduct.
a pedestrian should expect cars on the road. but they don't expect a car to run them over at a crosswalk.
not sure what you aren't getting.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
(wait for the second angle for a better view of Kulikov's move)

The second angle shows it all: Kulikov approaches the boards and takes a look at Hertl. Kulikov knows he's coming, yet he still decides to play the puck and turn his back to Hertl, who proceeds to flatten Kulikov. (besides, why do you say that he did not face Hertl at any point? You don't have to face the guy to turn your back to him and put yourself in a vulnerable position.)

Players should be able to assume that as long as they don't put themselves in danger, like Kuli did here, they won't get checked illegally. That goes for checking as well; as long as you avoid illegal checks, you should be able to hit every player on the ice. In my eyes, Kulikov showed horrific awareness by consciously turning away at the last second, knowing how Hertl was coming from behind. Call that gross all you want, but that one is on Kulikov, not Hertl.

HE.HITS.HIM.RIGHT.IN.THE.NUMBERS.

not sure what you're not getting.
these guys can stop on a dime and deflect a 100 mph slapshot and you're blaming a player for turning his back "last minute"? lol.
also, Hertl's head is down as he delivers the check...yet you don't blame him for not assessing the situation? my lord...

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
There's probably enough grey area that DPS won't schedule a hearing (although I wish they would even if they don't suspend him) I think the 5 and a game was the proper call on the ice.

Reactions: buggs and SLAYER

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
man I just hope Kuli just need stitches and thats it. If he has concussion issues let the ascension of Sami Niku begin!

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I'm 50/50 on the kuli hit. I hate when players turn last minute but I don't think forcing defenseman to not play the puck when it's rimmed in like that out of fear of getting pasted from behind is the solution. In the past those forecheckers would be interfered with to slow them up but that's against the rules now. I think the NHL I want to watch is where both the forecheker and the defenceman are expected to play the puck instead of just having body contact and ignoring the puck.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
man I just hope Kuli just need stitches and thats it. If he has concussion issues let the ascension of Sami Niku begin!

I would love for Niku to grab a spot and run with it, to give us some clarity with our contract situation. However I don' think he's ready yet.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
The receiver of the hit has to bare some responsibility when getting hit.

You can see that kulikov sees Hertl coming toward him and still turns.

The 5 and a game was way more than adequate. I don’t see a suspension coming out of it.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
That's not Byfuglien. That's Mark Stuart. You can find him clearing the front of the net with his physicality in the DEL if you want.
Or I can just watch Jets games and see Big Buff on ice when opponents scoring goals right under his nose or on odd man rushes after his pinches, then taking idiotic penalty cuz he is frustrated and blame everyone else but him :huh:

Reactions: thegr8one66

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Or I can just watch Jets games and see Big Buff on ice when opponents scoring goals right under his nose or on odd man rushes after his pinches, then taking idiotic penalty cuz he is frustrated and blame everyone else but him :huh:

There was a time when I was stupid enough to get into arguments with people who make shit up on the internet. Scary to think...

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The issue for me regarding Buff's penalty at the end, was how undisciplined and unnecessary it was. It wasn't to prevent a goal, or to further a play, or get a scoring opportunity. The play was over and he made the decision to take out his frustrations at the expense of the team result.

Not the first time either. He needs to be more disciplined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad