GDT: Buffalo @ San Jose 7:30PM NBCSCA

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I would like to see Heed and Ryan play against a more competent team before making a decision but good start. Also not having to be annoyed at Ward being old is nice too.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Coaching staff makes wholesale changes to the lineup

Young players impressed in their season debuts (especially Ryan in his league debut)

Boedker is on the 2nd PP unit where he belongs

Jones had a solid night

The lights in Burns head flickered on in the 3rd period

Labanc continues to beast

3rd line which I thought was gonna be garbage was dominant

4th line is juicy

We beat the Sabres, which means, hey, we actually won a game this year

A good night for once this season

Reactions: SharkAttack86

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was made to feel a fool on another forum (in a thread about hockey on a non-hockey forum) for picking Buffalo to be among the 7 teams that I felt would be the bottom 5 teams in the league. I was scoffed at and told they'd be at least challenging for a wild card spot, which it's only 4 games in, so this could very well change and be a different story later on in the season.

At the same time, a lot of my other possible bottom 5 prediction's have started out the season really well. I picked any 5 of these 7 teams out of Detroit, Vegas, Buffalo, Colorado, Vancouver, Florida, Winnipeg to be the bottom 5 teams in the league. Vegas, Detroit and Colorado have all started out a lot better than I ever thought they would.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Young players impressed in their season debuts (especially Ryan in his league debut)

Jones had a solid night

4th line is juicy

I'm actually not sure why you thought the 3rd line would suck, they did pretty good last year.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
We might be the last team with points but at least we still have a win over a couple of teams now.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Good game for the most part. Both goals against had Dillon/Heed out there against the Eichel line which seems like a terrible idea, did that change as the game went on? I wasn't paying close enough attention to the matchups after that to see who they were out there with.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I love Joakim Ryan and I don’t care who knows.

Sure it was only one game, but a strong one is better than a weak one. He genuinely impressed me out there; great confidence and poise.

Jones had a solid night

4th line is juicy

This was a game won by the secondary players; the depth. Against a team like Buffalo, that will be enough, but most nights, you need the top players clearing the way.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I'm actually not sure why you thought the 3rd line would suck, they did pretty good last year.

Noone did pretty good last year

In all honesty, I don't even remember that being a line last year, but I thought it would be a terrible line because Tierney sucks and Meier and Donskoi are still unknown quantities

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Hertl on TV postgame (Three Stars) interview:

- it was amazing for everybody, it was a different game, everybody keep going, good forecheck, everybody doing great job
- [on his goal] it was great play from Banc-er, he got puck, I was just open, just keep going, it's just first game
- I'm happy for two points tonight, it was important, I don't care who scores, I'm so happy we find a way, defense was great again

Couture on radio postgame interview:

- it was better, we still made some mistakes, but overall the effort and the compete level was a lot better than it has been the past two games so we can build off that, get back to the way we've played these past two years, hard, play in the other team's end, cycle the puck, get some grade A [scoring opportunities]
- [what did you work on in practice?] coaches said forget about systems, if you don't go out and compete a lot harder than the other team, you're not gonna win in the NHL, Monday we had a physical practice and a lot of guys opened their eyes
- [on Hertl] he played great, it was really the first time I've played with Hertl, we really haven't had the opportunity to play together the last few years, it was fun, I had a blast, he's a smart player, he's big, he's strong, and when he's skating like he did tonight, he's tough to defend
- [on Ryan] he made it look pretty easy, pretty seamless jump to the NHL and that's not easy, he's a smooth skater, he had a really good training camp, I was surprised he didn't start the year here but he stepped up and he played well

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This was a game won by the secondary players; the depth. Against a team like Buffalo, that will be enough, but most nights, you need the top players clearing the way.

Agreed, the Joes are majorly concerning, they are ghosts out there being carried by a 21 year old 2nd year player

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
3-2 Sharks

Boedker, Hansen, Burns
Eichel, Kane

Vlasic - Braun
Ryan - Burns
Dillon - Heed

Holy moly mobile defense. Hoping this will help team speed and pace of play.

SNOG:
3-2 Sharks
Hansen, Heed, Thornton
Ristolainen, Girgenson

First multi-SNOG game of the year. Congrats guys!

SNOG 2017-10-12 CanadianSharks PopaneNightscare.jpg

GameSNOG Winner(s)Result
Oct. 4 vs FlyersnoneFlyers 5-3
Oct. 7 vs KingshohosaregoodKings 4-1
Oct. 10 vs Sabres CanadianSharks, PopaneNightscare Sharks 3-2
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank2017-18 SNOG standings# of SNOGs
T-1.CanadianSharks, hohosaregood, PopaneNightscare 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Think we should separate the Joes? Would rather have one passenger instead of two

I don't know what to do with them at this point

Hertl looked really good as Couture's Marleau replacement so I don't wanna break that up, I don't think Boedker makes sense playing with either Joe, the 3rd line ought to be given time to see if they can build on this chemistry (it was nice to see some Donskoi magic again), and neither Joe fits into a 4th line role

I kinda think we gotta keep them where they are and just deal with it, at least for now

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Tierney has always played his best with Meier. I think that trio should stay together. If we could just switch Hertl and Couture I think this would be a pretty ideal lineup.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
It's only 2 games in a row, but we have a winning streak against Buffalo. That's pretty amazing.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I don't know what to do with them at this point

Hertl looked really good as Couture's Marleau replacement so I don't wanna break that up, I don't think Boedker makes sense playing with either Joe, the 3rd line ought to be given time to see if they can build on this chemistry (it was nice to see some Donskoi magic again), and neither Joe fits into a 4th line role

I kinda think we gotta keep them where they are and just deal with it, at least for now
Hmm. Yeah that makes sense to me. Seems like a tall order to ask a 38 y/o Jumbo that had knee surgery to bounce back and Pavs really needs to start creating chances and scoring though. But I hope they do. Even if we're out by TDL we can cash in on some good assets if they bounce back

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
yay we won, cue all the whiners complaining that we're ruining our shot at Dahlin.

Ryan was very good. Heed had a few mistakes but solid otherwise. Dillon was a tire fire as usual and I would love it if PDB started stapling him to the press box so any one of Heed, Ryan or even DeMelo can get some regular playing time.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Hertl, Lebanc, Meier and Ryan looked pretty good. Boedker looks better than last season.

It is sad we are celebrating a win (or 2 in a row) against the Sabers, but I guess that is what we have at this point in the season. The older vets need to find a groove.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yay for getting in the win column. They put forth a much better effort tonight. Yes I guess the Sabres are bad but the Sharks needed this win. Hope they play similarly on Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad