GDT: Buffalo @ San Jose 7:30PM NBCSCA

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hertl, Lebanc, Meier and Ryan looked pretty good. Boedker looks better than last season.

It is sad we are celebrating a win (or 2 in a row) against the Sabers, but I guess that is what we have at this point in the season. The older vets need to find a groove.

They’ve also only played three games. Take whatever good vibes we can get.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Ryan's best ability is being calm. I never saw him panic with the puck or with pressure chasing. Just my eye test for the night.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Noone did pretty good last year

In all honesty, I don't even remember that being a line last year, but I thought it would be a terrible line because Tierney sucks and Meier and Donskoi are still unknown quantities

Honestly, can we stop saying Tierney sucks? Everybody is in agreement that he probably isn't a long term 3C. But he is absolutely a solid 4C, and is without a doubt an NHL player. The slander on him is ridiculous. I get it, he's not the player we thought he would be at the end of the 2014-2015 season. He averages 26 points per 82 games, and is a solid PKer to boot. His number one flaw is that he is sometimes weak on the puck and doesn't have the best underlying numbers yet he still finished last year with a CF% above 50% despite having to play with junk like Haley at times.

If he spends the year with Donskoi and Meier as his two most frequent line mates, I could see solid 3rd line production from him.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
If Tierney can be a #3C, this team is so much better with Hertl in the top 6.

Honestly tonight's lineup is like a dream lineup. I'd prefer we just ship out Dillon and roll with Ryan-Heed. They're ready, they're mobile, evolve from the Dillon's. Plus when Martin retires, Ryan can take that spot if he has experience.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
They won? Why would they do such a heinous thing? So is this a youth movement and "refresh" except unlike Mueller, Ryan might be ready to step in. This is looking like 2014-2015 with DW not making any major moves and letting the chips fall where they may.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
If Tierney can be a #3C, this team is so much better with Hertl in the top 6.

Honestly tonight's lineup is like a dream lineup. I'd prefer we just ship out Dillon and roll with Ryan-Heed. They're ready, they're mobile, evolve from the Dillon's. Plus when Martin retires, Ryan can take that spot if he has experience.

It's about as good as it'll get with this roster. Solidify that bottom pairing, get one more solid to high-end top-6er, and things may look up.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Dillon isn't as skilled as Heed or Ryan, but he's physical with very good mobility. His mental lapses hold him back for sure and I'm not even going to try and defend that, but he clears the front of the net well. That's something I underrated last year when I saw Schlemko get manhandled in the playoffs despite passing the eye test everywhere else. Also from what I can tell from interviews and ice cams, Dillon is a huge glue guy and the Sharks tend to dip when we trade them away.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Tierney is a 3C, you want your 3C to score quite a bit more than he does. 20-24 points a year probably isn't gonna cut it.

I won't be happy with Boedker unless he reaches 35-40 points (all depending how many games he plays, if he scores 25 points in 55 games, I can't get on him too much. Another 25 points in 80 games that's a huge problem), but I do think there's a reasonable chance he can get back to that. Especially with power play production.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Honestly, can we stop saying Tierney sucks? Everybody is in agreement that he probably isn't a long term 3C. But he is absolutely a solid 4C, and is without a doubt an NHL player. The slander on him is ridiculous. I get it, he's not the player we thought he would be at the end of the 2014-2015 season. He averages 26 points per 82 games, and is a solid PKer to boot. His number one flaw is that he is sometimes weak on the puck and doesn't have the best underlying numbers yet he still finished last year with a CF% above 50% despite having to play with junk like Haley at times.

If he spends the year with Donskoi and Meier as his two most frequent line mates, I could see solid 3rd line production from him.

I've always liked tierney with the puck, he makes some really good plays. And yeah he has always had cruddy linemates. Maybe he can be a wellwood.

I don't think Tierney is a 3C, you want your 3C to score quite a bit more than he does. 20-24 points a year probably isn't gonna cut it.

put me in the camp that thinks with decent wingers he'll beat that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think Tierney with the right wingers can be an acceptable 3C provided the top-6 receives enough of a boost from Hertl to justify putting him there.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Beyond player performances i saw a well executed break out plan. Clean entries were plentiful.

We are consistently misreading the play defensively and a lot of guys are weak on their sticks so im expecting improvement there

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Clear step in the right direction. Dillon was the worst player on the ice. 4th line was meh, 1st line, outside of Labanc, was meh, but it was nice seeing a big game from the third line and a solid one from the second.

I had a dream last night that the Sharks dealt Paul Martin immediately after the game. To the Maple Leafs. For Mike Richards, and of course, DW's personal favorite, a seventh round pick.

None of that made sense but I really do hope Ryan and Heed stay in the lineup.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Hertl, Lebanc, Meier and Ryan looked pretty good. Boedker looks better than last season.

It is sad we are celebrating a win (or 2 in a row) against the Sabers, but I guess that is what we have at this point in the season. The older vets need to find a groove.

I'm celebrating the win because we looked pretty good doing it. I'll wait 10 games in to get excited or pull out the razor blades.

Reactions: slocal

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Where does Tierney rank in points per 60 over since the 15-16 season? It can't be too high.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Hertl on TV postgame (Three Stars) interview:

Couture on radio postgame interview:
- [what did you work on in practice?] coaches said forget about systems, if you don't go out and compete a lot harder than the other team, you're not gonna win in the NHL, Monday we had a physical practice and a lot of guys opened their eyes

I found this interesting, ignoring the system and just playing harder (I figure this could be the pace and dictating the game vs reacting?), in any case, made for a more enjoyable to watch game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Out of forwards who have played 40+ games in 2016-17 and so far this year, Tierney is 294th out of 389 in points per 60 with 1.24.
If you also include 2015-2016, I'd bet he's further down the list.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If you also include 2015-2016, I'd bet he's further down the list.

Probably but I was kind of just arbitrarily putting the minimum games number at 40 and would probably want to bump that number up to like 75 for that but again that's arbitrary so you can critique it as you like. Running those numbers with the 2015-16 season, you're looking at Tierney being 299th out of 381 at 1.2 points per 60. So it's not much of a drop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad