Injury Report: Buff injury

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Came here to find out how long Buff is out for and surprised it wasn't made obvious right away. I actually had to go to another source.

The good news is its a fairly short period of time. I read he was out a month and considering we get a large break during that month its far from the worst news.

I am looking forward to having our defensive depth tested. I think Chevy and all of us can learn a lot from it. If Niku really wants to make an impact now is the time. I also think Nelson Nogier can be at least a semi-consistent NHL'er and I look forward to seeing him play significant minutes.

Also, resting Buff for month may have net positive benefits down the road.

For the longest time I was convinced the Jets needed to finish first in the Central and have the easiest possible playoff path. Not sure that is of a greater benefit than some rest for our vets.

I also have noticed when we lose a defensemen the team buckles down and overall plays better defence. Maybe this partly explains our record with Nogier. Taking some time to tighten things up in our own zone for an extended period could be highly helpful down the road.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It will force them to play a simpler game. Blessing in disguise is it might prepare them well come playoff time.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This is going to be a very scary period for this team. Maybe Chevy makes a trade?

Last year when Scheif went down, the team rallied around and had a great record while he was out, it wasn't always pretty but they found a way to win. We have to hope they can dig deep and get that again. Hopefully Buff is back by late Feb, we might be able to get through the regular season without him but we have no chance in the playoffs without a healthy Buff.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Really unfortunate he's out for a few weeks, hopefully we can hold down the fort until he returns
I'm not very confident about our defensive depth so we'll see if they prove me wrong

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We survived without Scheifele last year we can do it without Buff.

It is now time to see what Niku can do over an extended period in the NHL, no reason not at this point. Unfortunately there isn't an ideal pairing for him but we need to see what he can do.

If he performs like he can then it answers a lot of questions heading into the trade deadline.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
5-0-1 last time Buff was hurt, as long as Kuli stays with Myers and Chairot and Morrow don't implode we should be alright, then again they need to start scoring goals

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Buff misses the next 10 games for sure but it could be as many as 18 games to the middle of February. Back playing at home on Tuesday the 12th.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Any pair that has two of Chiarot, Morrow, Kulikov scares me .

Any pair that has Myers playing like 2016 buff has me terrified.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
All this guarded optimism goes out the window (yes, there is some word play there) should another key defenseman go down. Just because Buff got injured doesn't mean Morrissey or Trouba won't be injured during this stretch. Not trying to be a prophet of doom or anything, but these situations highlight Chevy's inability to draft and develop quality defensemen over the course of his time here. Only two of his picks have panned out to be NHL quality at this stage, and one of those has made it abundantly clear he wants to be elsewhere as soon as possible. That is unacceptable to me. I could also get into how poorly he has D&D'd centers and goalies but I don't want to stray too far OT.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Came here to find out how long Buff is out for and surprised it wasn't made obvious right away. I actually had to go to another source.

The good news is its a fairly short period of time. I read he was out a month and considering we get a large break during that month its far from the worst news.

Not out a month necessarily, a month until they re-evaluate. That is not encouraging at all to me. That's the classic wait a month, see how it heals, run the battery of tests and decide to do surgery scenario.

Reactions: 204hockey

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Not out a month necessarily, a month until they re-evaluate. That is not encouraging at all to me. That's the classic wait a month, see how it heals, run the battery of tests and decide to do surgery scenario.

What I read was that Maurice said it was clear he did not need surgery.

No idea how fast it heals....that remains to be seen.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Buf not skating is not good. The guy seemed lighter and faster this year. I have a feeling that that can change quickly.
yep. once u have those fat deposits in your body you can balloon up in no time. add depression from not playing and being able to be as mobile as you want and bad food habits kick in then u have big titty buff again :(

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
all i know is when i tore my ankle ligaments i wasnt able to walk for 3 months and still have horrible ankle mobility.. they said it would heal in 6 weeks ...

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
all i know is when i tore my ankle ligaments i wasnt able to walk for 3 months and still have horrible ankle mobility.. they said it would heal in 6 weeks ...

Yes, but you were dealing with the government funded public health care system. Buff will get the premium care that money can buy.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
yep. once u have those fat deposits in your body you can balloon up in no time. add depression from not playing and being able to be as mobile as you want and bad food habits kick in then u have big titty buff again :(

Again, money buys a lot of liposuction. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Injuries happen to all teams. If we lose him for the season this will suck but if we get him back “at full strength” in the next couple of months then we will be fine. I agree hopefully we don’t lose Trouba or Morrissey over this stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad