Confirmed Trade: [BUF/VGK] J. Eichel, c.'23 3rd for A. Tuch, P. Krebs, c.'22 1st, c.'23 2nd [PART II]

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This is not Eichel’s problem right now at all. His problem is that he goes invisible for long periods of stretches and isn’t getting himself involved in the most dangerous areas of the ice.

If anything he is too passive right now. He looks like he lacks the confidence to do it all by himself.

Yup, he's just not attacking the net the way he used to. Is it poor conditioning because of the injury/surgery? Is he too scared to go into high traffic areas now because of his neck? Is he being coached to play super high in the offensive zone as a center? Some combination of the 3? In any event, he's not really playing his game, as we know it, right now.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Try reading what I said earlier in the thread. I literally said he can't be judged on this years stint. While you are reading this thread you should try going back and reading the old Eichel threads. Sorry he was over rated but many Sabre fans. Not all but a good amount.
I can't get back the hours I spent reading the old Eichel threads originally. Why would you condemn me to reading them again? That's cruel and unusual.

I ain't going back to that place again, ever.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I also never saw a Buffalo proposal to the Rangers that was reasonable. I have yet to see a disappointed Buffalo fan upset with the trade so maybe just maybe Vegas way overpaid? Personally I think they blinked and blinked hard. We will never know other teams proposals but maybe they were more in line with what Eichel was actually worth......and not the Buffalo win this trade looks like right now.
There were multiple reasons Rangers and Sabres fans couldn't come to any sort of a consensus on an Eichel deal. Ultimately I think they were bad trade partners. The Rangers didnt really need Eichel if they planned on keeping Zibby and most of their fans offers reflected that. The "untouchables" that went 7+ players deep were obviously laughed at by Sabres fans. As others have said the Rangers fans peddling Strome, Chytil, Kravstov, etc as "high end" pieces in an Eichel trade look pretty damn stupid now. You tell others to look back at those Eichel proposals I think you should do the same.

Reactions: Daz28 and Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There were multiple reasons Rangers and Sabres fans couldn't come to any sort of a consensus on an Eichel deal. Ultimately I think they were bad trade partners. The Rangers didnt really need Eichel if they planned on keeping Zibby and most of their fans offers reflected that. The "untouchables" that went 7+ players deep were obviously laughed at by Sabres fans. As others have said the Rangers fans peddling Strome, Chytil, Kravstov, etc as "high end" pieces in an Eichel trade look pretty damn stupid now. You tell others to look back at those Eichel proposals I think you should do the same.

If you mention those folks, there is a chance you will summon them. And I don't know about you but I don't think anyone has the time to read that novel after it's published in this thread...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Ultimately both NYR AND Buffalo fans tremendously overrated Eichel, IMO.

I wouldn’t have taken him for free at his AAV, and seeing him in Vegas haven’t made me change my mind one bit. Think his lack of mobility is a major obstacle to playing a successful game in the NHL of today. The last two years the team with by far the smallest centers in the league won the Cup. The smaller guys thrive there.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Ultimately both NYR AND Buffalo fans tremendously overrated Eichel, IMO.

I wouldn’t have taken him for free at his AAV, and seeing him in Vegas haven’t made me change my mind one bit. Think his lack of mobility is a major obstacle to playing a successful game in the NHL of today. The last two years the team with by far the smallest centers in the league won the Cup. The smaller guys thrive there.
There's always some contingent that overrates a player and it's usually the most vocal, least knowledgeable part of a team's fanbase. That said I don't find Eichel overrated at all, he's been on bad teams and had some injury issues, but if you look at how he produced in the 3 seasons prior to his neck injury he was a better than PPG player. The talent is undeniable. I have no idea what you're talking about with mobility in relation to Eichel. He's a good skater. The "I wouldn't take him for free" part really isn't worth getting into, as we just saw multiple teams bidding for this guy. A 1C in the prime of his career with term is a valuable thing.

Reactions: Ola

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
There's always some contingent that overrates a player and it's usually the most vocal, least knowledgeable part of a team's fanbase. That said I don't find Eichel overrated at all, he's been on bad teams and had some injury issues, but if you look at how he produced in the 3 seasons prior to his neck injury he was a better than PPG player. The talent is undeniable. I have no idea what you're talking about with mobility in relation to Eichel. He's a good skater. The "I wouldn't take him for free" part really isn't worth getting into, as we just saw multiple teams bidding for this guy. A 1C in the prime of his career with term is a valuable thing.
Yeah, this dude's taking you for a ride, and you're letting him.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Sabres fan here. Okay with the return for Eichel but Vegas wins the trade. Eichel will be old Eichel next year when he goes through training camp. He will be a beast then. It’s too much to ask players to return to top form after a long layoff unless they play for the bay

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
#eichel is trending on Twitter just below #musktwitter right now. just kidding, I don't follow Twitter. It is however trending on HF boards. :D

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Sabres fan here. Okay with the return for Eichel but Vegas wins the trade. Eichel will be old Eichel next year when he goes through training camp. He will be a beast then. It’s too much to ask players to return to top form after a long layoff unless they play for the bay
I don’t know man. Is Eichel over five million dollars better than Tuch? Let alone Tuch, Krebs, a mid round first and a second?

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
I don’t know man. Is Eichel over five million dollars better than Tuch? Let alone Tuch, Krebs, a mid round first and a second?
I don't think the Sabres never came out bad in this trade and I'm loving the return even better now but Eichel is still a world class hockey player, he will figure it out..

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
It will be more fair to judged this trade after next year. When there were comparisons to Matthews, I have been on record saying that Eichel never did much for me, and was not as high on him as BUF fans were. Good player, but not a great player.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Great reply, but you misunderstood me re “"I wouldn't take him for free".

I am a Ranger fan:
*The cap will remain flat for two more years after this.
*Eichel is anything but free, 10m per year in cap hit.
*If it was someone like Barzal or Aho or Point I would have been interested, but not Eichel.

Does Eichel have great mobility? No. Perhaps “for his size”, but put a GPS tracker on say a Yanni Gourde and one on Eichel, dump the result and analyse it and the differences will be apparent.

I agree with you that Eichel has value around the league. He has unique capabilities, with the puck down low. If a team doesn’t have that he can make a difference. But if it’s worth 10m per? Nah, not in my book.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Eichel can be properly judged next season. If he doesn't play like a legit 10M star center the deal will look like crap.

Not sure in today's NHL if he will ever play like a star 10M center. He just isn't that good in comparison to so many players in the league.

Scoring is sky rocketing and there are plenty of players out there that put up Eichel production that don't make 10M.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Eichel had decided he did not want to play for the Sabres. He wanted out. Probably a negetive Nancy around the team. Hell of a hockey player if he is motivated.
The Sabres got Tuch who wants to be there and is motivated to play there. Krebs looks promising and also has a positive attitude. The Sabres have turned into a can do team.
Eichel is the better player and next year he will be motivated to prove it

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
We probably shouldn't ignore the context of the 2nd round pick just calling it "a 2nd", because IIRC, i think it is actually Buffalo swapping their 3rd for Vegas' 2nd, and If Buffalo finishes bottom 10 and vegas' gets back into the playoffs next season, we could be talking about something like only a 15 spot upgrade or less.

That said, even if the 2nd turns out to ultimately only be them moving up from 70 to 60, your point is still valid and Buffalo did well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad