Confirmed Trade: [BUF/NAS] Jimmy Vesey's Draft Rights for 2016 3rd (#76) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
This sounds very interesting if you are a devils fan:

That being said, Fish noted his client isn't someone who craves the spotlight of a big hockey market.

"I think he would prefer to be under the radar," Fish said. "He’s not the type of kid who enjoys necessarily being talked about all the time. He’s a good teammate, he’s a good kid. He’s pretty quiet and quietly goes about his business as a hockey player. He’s not afraid of the spotlight or anything like that. He’s a kid that probably prefers to fly under the radar a bit."

Hmm, he had a situation just like this, wich was called the Nashville Predators...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can see Vesey going just about anywhere. I recall Justin Schultz picking Edmonton in about the same situation, while that was not a major surprise. It was a mild surprise since Edmonton is not a team one would normally think of players signing with.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I wouldn't be at all shocked if he did not choose Boston. However, I think Boston makes the most sense for him.

If it truly is about what's best for him LONG term, I can't see any BETTER option. Yes, other teams may offer a more immediate attractiveness that Boston may not have today but with Boston's prospect pool at a very attractive high, coupled with him local ties to some of those local prospects, family, proximity to home, playing with a mentor like Bergeron, mentors in players like Chara, Backas, Bergeron, etc... as a local boy I don't see too much negative by staying home.

Ummm okay, Boston's prospect pool is far from great. Chara is a shell of himself, the Bakes sign was IMO one f the worst signing this offseason. Rask for all the hype and numbers during the regular season has done nothing in the playoffs and it was Tim Thomas who won them that series during their cup win. Look its obvious he has ties to the area and some players but saying "you can't see any BETTER option" is a joke.

There are half a dozen teams with better teams, either currently or prospect wise. Second if reports are true and he wants to play somewhere low kee then his hometown is certainly not it. The wildcard is the fathers health and how much that may way on him, being their could be draining morally. Being away from it 24 seven could allow him to focus. Its a toss up.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Ummm okay, Boston's prospect pool is far from great. Chara is a shell of himself, the Bakes sign was IMO one f the worst signing this offseason. Rask for all the hype and numbers during the regular season has done nothing in the playoffs and it was Tim Thomas who won them that series during their cup win. Look its obvious he has ties to the area and some players but saying "you can't see any BETTER option" is a joke.

There are half a dozen teams with better teams, either currently or prospect wise. Second if reports are true and he wants to play somewhere low kee then his hometown is certainly not it. The wildcard is the fathers health and how much that may way on him, being their could be draining morally. Being away from it 24 seven could allow him to focus. Its a toss up.

Spoken like a true Leafs fan with his head in the clouds, having no knowledge of anyones prospect pool aside from his own.

I wonder why the Bruins prospect pool was rated top 5 if they have such a bad pool....not every prospect pool needs an Auston Matthews to be great

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Boston's prospect pool is strong. I would not hesitate to place it in the top ten in the league. Adding Vesey would make it that much stronger.

dmband

Feb 15, 2010
Boston, Ma
[QUOTEe=Estlin;121379779]Boston's prospect pool is strong. I would not hesitate to place it in the top ten in the league. Adding Vesey would make it that much stronger.[/QUOTE]

Except it doesn't appear to be NHL ready with the Core ageing

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Buffalo giving up the 76th pick in the draft will be a huge mistake if they don't sign him tomorrow.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
a 3rd round pick in the end isn't a make or break kind of pick at all. A 1st and 2nd are much more valuable.

If I remember correctly, value based on past picks would be, for the average draft year, something like this:

1-3
4-10
11-20
21-35
36-60
3rd
4th-7th

As for trading for Vesey's right, the downside was that Vesey had already said officially that he was not signing before 15th. They traded for a slight advantage. However, the criticism is vastly overstated. Getting rid of picks is not a good thing, you don't want to make it a habit because you really want to get as much shots as possible for a late round steal. One individual pick matters little though.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Vesey's agent talking VERY highly of the Rangers. Now that my folks is quotes from him, not speculation from beat writers. Hope he convinces his client to sign :nod:

http://nypost.com/2016/08/14/harvard-hotshot-jimmy-veseys-camp-sees-a-fit-with-rangers/

Except if you hold the weight of Vesey's/his agents long term outlook and 2nd contract perspective, then Rangers are really the exact opposite of what he is looking for

The NYR long term pipeline and cap structure is a mess on top of the fact that NYR/Sather/Gorton traditionally hardball the hell out of RFAs and bridging players when they try to get paid. I am not criticizing the Rangers for this, but along the quote of "we are evaluating how teams treat players in their second contract", NYR might be dead last in the league in that criteria unless Gorton suddenly does a 180 on their philosophy

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
maybe he sits another year. If he waits till he's old enough he can just skip the ELC and go straight to full UFA status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad