Confirmed Trade: [BUF/MTL] Nicolas Deslauriers for Zach Redmond

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Sabres AHL team just improved a little. Not sure why Montreal didn't claim Des on waivers unless the goal here was to rid themselves of a contract.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Deslauriers is one of the worst players in the NHL.

Who trades for one of the worst players in the NHL?

He really is quite terrible. He's willing to drop the gloves. That's about it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Sabres AHL team just improved a little. Not sure why Montreal didn't claim Des on waivers unless the goal here was to rid themselves of a contract.

It would just have made an even bigger problem with the AHL team regarding the Veteran Cap.

I wouldn't exclude the idea that the deal has been "concluded" a while ago, with both teams waiting that each player clear waivers. I'm actually quite sure that this is what happened in Montreal's case anyways (Deslauriers clears, Laval signs Gelinas, then Montréal sends Redmond for Deslauriers).

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

Claiming Des on waivers would mean that he'd have to be on our NHL roster which I think is clearly not on the agenda. Waiting for him to clear and then trading for him allows him to report to Laval.

Edit: Late to the party, didn't notice the replies above me addressing this already.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
He really is quite terrible. He's willing to drop the gloves. That's about it.
I don't have the same hate for Des as some others do on these boards. He's a 4th line grinder who I've felt was a quality player in that role a couple years ago. He's regressed for sure, but I would still use him as a 13th NHL forward if I had to. The guy will be good for your AHL club.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
French name, Montreal interested!
(Seriously, they do that. And it's hilarious.)

A local kid for their new local AHL team. The only hilarious thing is people getting hung up over such a minor transaction.

Enlighten me about the (seriously, they do that) part.
Matteau?
AHLer Racine for Bozon (who's French)
who else?

Last edited:
Reactions: Johny and Agalloch

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Why is Montreal so obsessed with former Sabres 4th line plugs? (Flynn, Byron, Mitchell, Scott, and now D-lo) :laugh:

More defensive depth is never a bad thing, though, especially with Bogosian and McCabe already hurt.
Not sure I'd be knocking the Byron acquisition.

Reactions: dralaf

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
i can't believe Montreal traded Red Forman

hqdefault.jpg

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Even though the trade itself wasn't terrible, it shows everything wrong with the habs. Aquiring players/staff just because they're french.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Even though the trade itself wasn't terrible, it shows everything wrong with the habs. Aquiring players/staff just because they're french.

You forgot Bergevin, Julien, and Therrien

so what does Deslauriers coach? Defense? Goaltending?

or did you maybe conflate 2 separate issues because the 'they take any player with a francophone name' argument was weak?

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad