Waived: [BUF] F Tyson Jost waived by the Sabres (cleared)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He came to the Sabres. Believe me none of us are surprised. We're where players go to die 😒😔

Eh, he was waived by Minnesota last year and actually put in the work when he arrived in Buffalo. This year, the level of effort that worked for him last year has not been as noticeable. Without it, he was an easy choice to waive.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Eh, he was waived by Minnesota last year and actually put in the work when he arrived in Buffalo. This year, the level of effort that worked for him last year has not been as noticeable. Without it, he was an easy choice to waive.
My comment is still true though lol

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Jost was one of the few prospects that went against the North Dakota Mantra of staying two years
been passed down for a long time

Boeser slaughtered the NCAA as a freshman, and still stayed
huge mistake him leaving

Oshie mentored Schmatlz and Boeser
Schmaltz left after his sophomore year and passed the torch to Boeser

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
It seems to be a common theme for Buffalo. Players come here and seem to lose motivation. The effort on the ice by the entire team is lacking.

Jost has no one to blame but himself but there is a bigger picture. Effort on the ice is atrocious.

Reactions: BB79

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It seems to be a common theme for Buffalo. Players come here and seem to lose motivation. The effort on the ice by the entire team is lacking.

Jost has no one to blame but himself but there is a bigger picture. Effort on the ice is atrocious.

I mean, he found motivation by coming to Buffalo. It's not like he was doing any of what he did in Minny - his defensive game in particular improved leaps and bounds and most of that was based on his willingness to play in traffic. Where he is now is reminiscent of how he played when he was waived by Minny.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I mean, he found motivation by coming to Buffalo. It's not like he was doing any of what he did in Minny - his defensive game in particular improved leaps and bounds and most of that was based on his willingness to play in traffic. Where he is now is reminiscent of how he played when he was waived by Minny.
I guess my post was more about what happened that changed 2022-23 Jost to 2023-24 Jost.

Did the real Jost finally shine through or did he get lost in all the shuffling.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I guess my post was more about what happened that changed 2022-23 Jost to 2023-24 Jost.

Did the real Jost finally shine through or did he get lost in all the shuffling.
no its just a classic of a player playing like his life on the line to keep his career going and keep an NHL payday then getting too comfortable and not bringing the same effort next year. Maybe if he gets waived and comes back or gets claimed he'll realize that he can't keep it up like this.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Jost is the type that shows why the other NA full contact sport, the NFL, requires 3 years removed from high school to be drafted. Jost would be the star QB in high school who's being asked to field kickoff coverage 5 years later because his skills and body never developed into the pro level.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

I’m with ya on this one. We’ve had a number of players (Erod, Montour, pretty much everyone who’s left in the last 5 years) look better elsewhere, like they were misused or unmotivated here, but that wasn’t the case with Jost. He changed his game and became a decent grinder, imo, but then that constant effort isn’t there now. He’s returned to what he was, or somethin close to it, but he’s like the one guy who looked better here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I’m with ya on this one. We’ve had a number of players (Erod, Montour, pretty much everyone who’s left in the last 5 years) look better elsewhere, like they were misused or unmotivated here, but that wasn’t the case with Jost. He changed his game and became a decent grinder, imo, but then that constant effort isn’t there now. He’s returned to what he was, or somethin close to it, but he’s like the one guy who looked better here.

Yeah. Jost kinda goes against the grain on this one. The rare example of a player who went to Buffalo and actually improved somewhat. Seemed to have finally turned himself into a serviceable bottom-6 filler player. But the margins were still so razor-thin with him being an NHL caliber guy due to his lack of any real standout tools, any tiny little slip in the effort level just dropped him back below that threshold i guess. Too bad. But it's hard to expect guys to sustain that proverbial "110%" over any significant length of time. That stretch with Buffalo clearly looks like that was what he managed to do, however briefly.

He's also such a classic case of why drafting straight out of Jr A is so risky. It can be extremely difficult to tell what the headroom is on a guy's tools and skillset. It's too easy to dominate with just "good enough" tools all around. Even the NCAA though, he seemed somewhat decent. But clearly hit that ceiling athletically and skillset-wise, at a level that just isn't quite good enough in any facet to make it in the NHL.

He'll be a beast for someone in Europe soon enough though. When the ice surface and level of play gives him more time and space to work with again.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah. Jost kinda goes against the grain on this one. The rare example of a player who went to Buffalo and actually improved somewhat. Seemed to have finally turned himself into a serviceable bottom-6 filler player. But the margins were still so razor-thin with him being an NHL caliber guy due to his lack of any real standout tools, any tiny little slip in the effort level just dropped him back below that threshold i guess. Too bad. But it's hard to expect guys to sustain that proverbial "110%" over any significant length of time. That stretch with Buffalo clearly looks like that was what he managed to do, however briefly.

He's also such a classic case of why drafting straight out of Jr A is so risky. It can be extremely difficult to tell what the headroom is on a guy's tools and skillset. It's too easy to dominate with just "good enough" tools all around. Even the NCAA though, he seemed somewhat decent. But clearly hit that ceiling athletically and skillset-wise, at a level that just isn't quite good enough in any facet to make it in the NHL.

He'll be a beast for someone in Europe soon enough though. When the ice surface and level of play gives him more time and space to work with again.
Agree with this 100% and Wood and Newhook seem to be following the path of Jost.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
8avcsb.jpg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Newhook's worst season was substantially better than Jost's best. He's also got one of the more coveted qualities (being his speed).
Sure but all 3 players will look like meh picks in 10 years which was my point.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agree with this 100% and Wood and Newhook seem to be following the path of Jost.
Yup. With any player it’s what does he provide when not putting up points? Jost is way too easy to play against for a guy who isn’t a point producer. He’s not a PK guy. He’d not pressuring the puck and separating guys. He is just a nifty, somewhat skilled player, who can flash a bit when in open ice. But for 99% of his time on ice he’s not making any kind of difference. The Sabres already have too many guys who play like that.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Jost didn't have effort or defensive issues in MN when he was waived, he was just a worse player than everyone else on the team outright. at best you could say he has some league average attributes, but mostly he is just not at NHL level. Probably makes for a decent 2nd liner in the AHL though. Mediocre puck skills, bad physical package, middle of the pack effort level, and limited offensive production. He does not have a place on any playoff teams in this league and I don't see how that would change, better to gamble on someone with actual upside.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Newhook's worst season was substantially better than Jost's best. He's also got one of the more coveted qualities (being his speed).

Yeah. At least Newhook has one particular standout skill to set him apart as an actual clear NHL caliber player. That speed can make for an effective, if very underwhelming and flawed player.

Wood...i really don't know what'll happen with him, but his lack of speed and pace is certainly concerning. He's got size, so that's gonna have to be his standout trait...yet he doesn't really like to use it constructively.

Jost just has...neither of those things. He's got zilch. And while he's not a "dumb" player, he's clearly not a particularly smart or clever player to compensate either.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

It's that awkward thing where, every one in a million, you might get a Cale Makar. But it's like playing the lottery. He's a bit of a unicorn. More often, even the "successful" ones take so long they end up spending a bunch of years in NCAA land and eventually become flight risks anyway. Even Fabbro is a big "success", but at the same time...fairly underwhelming for a 1st round pick. Is it worth the risks?

There's a point at which it makes sense to just throw darts because by the mid-rounds and on, that's what you're doing anyway. But in the 1st round? It's insanely risky.

It's just that one in a million gem that people will always point to as a reason to do it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Jost wasn't actively bad. Just ineffectual. Would just skate around, waving at pucks with his stick...sometimes he'd lose a board battle or two for variety... then go and change. Rinse, repeat. I never thought he was lazy. Just a guy who probably should be a good AHL/KHL player.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's that awkward thing where, every one in a million, you might get a Cale Makar. But it's like playing the lottery. He's a bit of a unicorn. More often, even the "successful" ones take so long they end up spending a bunch of years in NCAA land and eventually become flight risks anyway. Even Fabbro is a big "success", but at the same time...fairly underwhelming for a 1st round pick. Is it worth the risks?

There's a point at which it makes sense to just throw darts because by the mid-rounds and on, that's what you're doing anyway. But in the 1st round? It's insanely risky.

It's just that one in a million gem that people will always point to as a reason to do it.
While I agree with most of this I also think scouting might be better now than it was even 7 years ago or maybe the 2016 draft in the first round wasn't all that great as there were huge misses in that round...if only Matthew Tkachuk had been there when the Canucks picked eh?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
While I agree with most of this I also think scouting might be better now than it was even 7 years ago or maybe the 2016 draft in the first round wasn't all that great as there were huge misses in that round...if only Matthew Tkachuk had been there when the Canucks picked eh?

That's true. You can still have huge whiffs from other leagues just the same. Oftentimes, it comes from trying to project players on extremely stacked, dominant teams. Trying to figure out who is really driving the bus vs who is the passenger. Like...that other guy from Tkachuk's draft.

It's just that, at least even Major Junior provides a bit more of a "baseline" of athletic ability and skills assessment. There are still guys who get by as hugely productive major junior players, but it tends to become a lot more clear that they're just "getting by" as "good enough" and will have trouble translating to the next level. You see these guys every year, and they pile up huge point totals and fans 'round here often tag them as "hidden gems" but actual teams have gotten pretty darn good at singling them out and drafting them more appropriately, in the mid or late rounds somewhere. I think if he'd taken the major junior route, Jost would've been one of those guys who stood out as being on the smaller side without any tools that stand out at that level, and been drafted a lot later.

Part of the problem with that Vees team Jost came from, is that they also had another NHL caliber talent. Trying to ascertain whether it was Fabbro or Jost running the show was tricky at the time and made me extremely nervous about both. So not only being in a lesser league that's more challenging to assess accurately, but on a stacked team in that league. That powerplay in particular was just insane. But it turned out...Jost isn't really good enough at all, and Fabbro isn't really a bigtime scoring Powerplay defenceman at the top level either. He's turned into a very different player than his BCHL profile would've painted him to be.

The draft is always a bit of a crapshoot. You don't need to make it even harder. :dunno:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
"Tyson Jost is a crafty goal-scorer who carries out plays as quickly as he envisions them. As someone who thinks and plays at a fast tempo, it comes as no surprise that he creates a lot of energy as an offensive catalyst. He sees the ice very well and has the willingness and determination to win battles in the tough areas. All-in-all, a dynamic offensive forward with top-6 potential at the next level. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)" :D :D :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad