Waived: [BUF] F Tyson Jost waived by the Sabres (cleared)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was always a fringe guy, despite his draft spot. I thought he was a pretty good skater, or at least average, but he simply doesn't have much else.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Last season he gave a good effort after the Sabres picked him up. He came into this training camp looking like he thought he had secured a spot. Should've been cut in preseason to send a message. But you know Sabres gonna Sabre and wait months late to make a move.

With the effort he has given most of his career he just isn't an NHL guy. No outstanding skill to speak of. Very meh.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
CMac is salivating right now. 2C for free??? sign him up!

fun (or sad, depending on point of view) fact: he probably would still be a better option than RyJo.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Happened? He never had "it" to begin with. He left college too early and is your prototypical "good at everything, but standsout at nothing" sort of player. He's too slow, not agile enough, and not smart enough to make space for himself. If you can't make space, you will be deemed a negative NHL player. Newhook has the same problems.
I don't see how you can root for such a nothing as a player. Was it to cheer when he got his one goal a year as a meme? Guy doesn't belong in the NHL at least not on this roster. Maybe he'll flourish somewhere else. Wish he was never on the team.
Was invested in him and Fabbro from the BCHL days and had heard good things from friends who are around that area so I was high on them when they both were young prospects/upcoming. Saw some game tape, and thought they were incredibly talented. I root for people in general so can't help but hope for the best for him :laugh:

As @Chainshot & @SoundwaveIsCharisma pointed out there guess it wasn't the hustle and other things.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Man...what happened to this guy? I always root for him but it's wild, always thought between Fabbro and him, Jost would be more of an NHLer. Stand corrected, hopefully, he figures it out.
Sabres are trying yo change their culture of being too easy to play against in their skilled guys. Jost is their scapegoat.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I feel like this has Montreal written all over it.

Kent Hughes loves his buy low with high drafted forwards.

Habs have Dach, Pearson, Harvey-Pinard and Newhook all injured. Jost is making 2.0 million and is a UFA at seasons end. Claiming him can either be viewed as a placeholder until those players start to return or he could possibly be playing for a roster spot next year or if he plays well he could build up value and be traded for a late pick at the deadline.

I feel like this has Montreal written all over it.

Kent Hughes loves his buy low with high drafted forwards.

Habs have Dach, Pearson, Harvey-Pinard and Newhook all injured. Jost is making 2.0 million and is a UFA at seasons end. Claiming him can either be viewed as a placeholder until those players start to return or he could possibly be playing for a roster spot next year or if he plays well he could build up value and be traded for a late pick at the deadline.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Last year he came to the team with a 110% effort knowing it was his last chance and was a decent 4th liner now he looks complacent like his spot was safe he's dropped off entirely.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
He just straight up never developed. Even what i'm reading from Sabres fans is what I saw in Colorado. He was just a guy that went out there, skated around a bit and got off. Never really showed any top 6 skill or bottom 6 tools.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Third GM to give up on him. Sakic, Guerin, and now Adams. Maybe he gets another chance with a team like the Habs but he's about to be 26 and what are you hoping to get out of him? His ceiling is like Ryan Donato?

If this is the end of the line I cant feel too bad for him. He's made like 7MM in his career despite never delivering on the potential that was seen at draft (or even showing much of any sign that he could).

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Jost should have stayed at least one more year at UND.

You could see the talent, but he was clearly still building out his game in that year.

He got rushed into the Colorado roster. I think one more year in College being dominate and getting a year older would have greatly benefited his development.

Funny enough, if he was a 1 million dollar player and not a 2 million dollar player, Colorado could probably use him as a 4th line depth player for awhile as they deal with some injury issues.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
These BCHL posts are so ignorant - it's as though Jost didn't immediately prove his pedigree in college the following season.

Jost's $2m contract will probably prevent him from being claimed, but once he passes through waivers, I contend his value would increase (as in, it would cost Buffalo less to dump him) if teams knows they could acquire a pivot centremen who can easily move between the big club and AHL team (similar to how Jack Studnicka was able to be moved for a pick after clearing)
If Buffalo retained on 50% of his salary, I bet they could even get a pick for him at the deadline.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I cringe whenever a team takes a player straight from the BCHL high in the 1st round.
He was old enough to be drafted and had committed to UND program out of tier II. No different than going from the USHL to NCAA which plenty of players have been drafted from as well. No AHL development. Right from College to NHL with just 13 AHL games played on his ELC.

Put some blame also on Colorado for either not leaving him at UND for another season or not developing him in the AHL for a full season or two.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This why adams overpays for sub par players. So when they do so little you need to put them on waivers, no one wants them at their price tag and they clear. Then in 2 weeks we will forget just sucks and bring him back up and hope he learned a super power.

Jost and Bryson gonna ride a tandem bike back and forth from Buffalo to Rochester for the rest of the year...money well spent 👌

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He sucks.

Average skater, below average size, and absolutely zero puck skills to speak of.

His classic move is skate into the zone, protect the buck to the boards and get washed out by every single defenseman to ever play in the NHL.

Absolutely useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad