Player Discussion: Bryan Little

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
The purpose of this thread is to honour and send a positive shout out to Little.

People have been concerned with Laine’s usage, stating that Laine deserves time on the top line ( this might be true)

However, Little has just as much reason to complain, if not more so:

-the player who Little has shown the most chemistry with, Wheeler, was pulled from him to play with Scheif
-despite the fact that Wheeler’s even strength point production has not increased much at all since the move to Scheifele, Maurice refuses to reunite Little with Wheeler
-instead, Maurice refuses to split up Scheif and Wheeler. Little knows his point production would increase back to a 2nd line centre level if he were reunited with Wheeler-he would’t be under such media and public scrutiny
-instead, Little has been paired with someone (Laine) who is also, a shooter, and, for this reason, there is no chemistry and even strength production.

Little has just as much reason, if not more, to feel misused by PoMo. However, he has shown a classy and team-first attitude throughout these years of misuse and poor deployment.

Little needs some recognition for the above.
Let’s give a shout out to Little!!

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
A well deserved thread. The Swiss-army knife when we had nothing else. Him, Ladd and Wheeler were our only glimmer of hope for years :laugh: Underpaid for most of his tenure and underappreciated for even longer.

Overpaid now, sure, but not by so much that he deserves to be the whipping boy. Would be awesome if Lowry or Copp could usurp the 2C role and let Little be a solid 3C for us.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I love Little.
He’s the consummate team player.
Never complains and is a very underrated player heading into the twilight of his career.
He doesn’t have chemistry with Laine but that’s neither his or Laine’s fault.
Hopefully both Little and Laine get line mates that gel with them.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Amen to all the above. He's also still got a strong two-way game and some really good hands in-close. I wonder how much his usage and having to adjust his bread-and-butter game to match that of his linemates has contributed to his declining points and metrics over the past 2 years -- might have to ping Our Friend Pekka with that one.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Let’s put it this way. Everybody loved Little a couple years ago. Lots even called him 1B centre. Then he has to play with a combination of three young wingers that don’t know where the the d-zone even is and all of a sudden he’s trash. Little needs a play maker on his line. He’s a good goal scorer. Always has been.
If someone was watching the playoffs last year he played way better then Hayes did who some people complained was not getting enough ice time. Which the truth was Hayes did absolutely nothing in the ice time he got on the second line.

Last edited by a moderator:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Little is consummate pro but his play has declined due to age.

At this point in his career he is still able to win faceoffs and put up some points if given the opportunity but he needs to play with a pair of play drivers to really get the most out of him.

I would love to see him reunited with Perrault and Ehlers. Play Connor with Laine and Scheifele and have that Copp/Lowry/Wheeler line. Puts everyone in a position to succeed.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Would of seemed logical to play Wheeler with Little. Would of if nothing else increased Liane trade value. Instead we are where we are.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I love Little.
Never complains and is a very underrated player heading into the twilight of his career.

little_bryan.jpg

My thoughts exactly. He does everything that the coaches want him to do, you can't fault him for that. He's the Rodney Dangerfield of the Jets, he "gets no respect at all."

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

At this point in his career he is still able to win faceoffs and put up some points if given the opportunity but he needs to play with a pair of play drivers to really get the most out of him.

I would love to see him reunited with Perrault and Ehlers. Play Connor with Laine and Scheifele and have that Copp/Lowry/Wheeler line. Puts everyone in a position to succeed.

That would make 3 good lines instead of the mediocre 1 line PoMo wants to run. Blasphemy!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Seems most of the complaining about Little is from a small pack on HF and from Laine...That said, Isn't this just another play Laine with Scheifele thread in disguise? Also, if Little is rapidly declining then how is another rapidly declining player in Wheeler going to elevate him?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

That first line doesn't exactly scream analytics darling....

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I love Little.

This post sums it up for me nicely. He is a beacon for others to follow from a professionalism standpoint, and deserves to be put into a position to succeed. I hope there is a post-playing career job waiting for him with this organization. He really is one of the good guys that you can't help but cheer for.

And thanks to the OP for creating this thread.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I would predict that if Little is given better usage and deployment, away from Laine, he could very well produce upwards of 55 points this upcoming season. I am really pulling for him-what a class act.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad