Not open for further replies.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Sammy said:
Did I say I agree with Burke?
No, I didnt.
What I find objectionable is clowns saying Burkes an idiot cause he says that he wouldnt take Kessel #1. God forbid, eh. He must be insane.
Btw, have you ever heard 1 GM/ scout/coach say that if Kessel was in last years draft, he would go #1, or they would take him #1?
If so, link please.

Did not mean to quote you just wanted to reply. McGuire said it not me. Its been all over. He said he talked with all the GMs and guessed the split would be 16 Crosby and 14 Kessel if both were in the same draft. So going by that, al least fourteen GMS said they would think of taking Kessel first. I do not think any would have. But the thought was there at least.

Sammy*

MN_Gopher said:
Did not mean to quote you just wanted to reply. McGuire said it not me. Its been all over. He said he talked with all the GMs and guessed the split would be 16 Crosby and 14 Kessel if both were in the same draft. So going by that, al least fourteen GMS said they would think of taking Kessel first. I do not think any would have. But the thought was there at least.

Frankly, it was so ludicrous at the time I gotta believe it was hyperbole. I'm not saying Crosby is god or Kessel is a dog, but I cant believe that comment given the relative status of the two at the time.. I would have thought I would have heard/seen at least one coach/GM/scout say something to that effect if it was remotely true, but I heard nary a word.
Imo of course.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
VOB said:
There is no consensus number one pick this year - its really that simple. Is that an oddity? No! Yes last year Crosby was the consensus number one. The year before that it was Ovechkin. The year before that though? Do you really believe that all 30 GM's and the vast majority of scouts felt that Marc Andre Fluery was the best player available? Hardly! In the 02 draft, we heard nothing but how Bouwmeester was the man but...he went 3rd over all! In 2000 it was all about Gaborik but like Bouwmeester, he was not destined to be the top pick...and nobody but nobody prior to the draft thought it would be DiPietro!

If I had the first over-all pick, I would take Kessel. Would it be easy? No, but no other player has shown me more yet. Do all GM's agree with me? Of course not (though I suspect the majority have Kessel in the number one spot) and you never know what one of them will do come draft day.
Actually, Heatley was the consensus top pick in 2000. Milbury wanted to make history, wanted to make a big splash, so he went for DiPietro. Gaborik was No. 2 on most lists, No. 1 on a few and 3rd on a few others.

Bouwmeester went No. 3 because Columbus desperately wanted Nash, so they traded up to get him. Atlanta was primed to pick Bouwmeester, but Florida flipped them a pick in a token trade to make sure Atlanta picked Lehtonen.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Not HFboards, just some of our friends up north. Theyre angry about Toews being invisible in the WJC's, and Kessel leading in scoring.
Actually, to be honest that was more of a rhetorical question.

I don't think Canadians are sure why they hate Kessel

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
Sammy said:
Frankly, it was so ludicrous at the time I gotta believe it was hyperbole. I'm not saying Crosby is god or Kessel is a dog, but I cant believe that comment given the relative status of the two at the time.. I would have thought I would have heard/seen at least one coach/GM/scout say something to that effect if it was remotely true, but I heard nary a word.
Imo of course.

I do remember that comment coming from McGuire.

I think the hype of a Candian player is so much more than a player of any nationality. If you look in the NHL now, all you seem to hear about is Crosby as the Calder winner. Ovechukin(sp) has been the better player and you hear good things about him but he can hardly get the press that Crosby has. Crosby seems to be the GREAT ONE by default.

If you want to compare Crosby to Kessel on their WJC level of play (statistics) which so many people here seem to be criticizing Kessel on. Kessel has one more point in one LESS game and he's the undisputed leader in points in this tournament. Crosby last year wasn't even the best player on his team. Now I'm not saying Kessel is better than Crosby but he's not the dog many people are making him out to be. We can only make a true comparison when both players are ending their NHL careers. As far as not taking Kessel #1 overall. I'd sure hate to be the GM that passes on him. Kessel has all the skills necessary to be a dominant force in the NHL. I'd compare Kessel to Kariya.

Sammy*

DarthSather99 said:
I do remember that comment coming from McGuire.

I think the hype of a Candian player is so much more than a player of any nationality. If you look in the NHL now, all you seem to hear about is Crosby as the Calder winner. Ovechukin(sp) has been the better player and you hear good things about him but he can hardly get the press that Crosby has. Crosby seems to be the GREAT ONE by default.

If you want to compare Crosby to Kessel on their WJC level of play (statistics) which so many people here seem to be criticizing Kessel on. Kessel has one more point in one LESS game and he's the undisputed leader in points in this tournament. Crosby last year wasn't even the best player on his team. Now I'm not saying Kessel is better than Crosby but he's not the dog many people are making him out to be. We can only make a true comparison when both players are ending their NHL careers. As far as not taking Kessel #1 overall. I'd sure hate to be the GM that passes on him. Kessel has all the skills necessary to be a dominant force in the NHL. I'd compare Kessel to Kariya.
There is no doubt the comment came from Mcguire. I've never disputed that. Thats not my point.
As far as Ovechkin been better right now, perhaps, but just as perhaps has been Crosby the better player.Hes also two years younger. I suspect if Crosby was an American, the hype would be as great for him, if not waay greater.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
You're making a loaded comparison though. Phil Kessel is an 18-year-old this year. Crosby was a 17-year-old last year. The difference is a gulf.

The difference in terms of development between 17 years old and 18 years old is massive. Same thing from 18 years old to 19 years old, and 19 years old to 20 years old. If Kessel is as good as he is, then he should be able to beat the numbers of a 17-year-old, even a 17-year-old as good as Crosby, since Kessel is 18. Any scout will tell you that. Anyone who knows anything about player development will tell you that.

Case in point Team Canada this year. There are 10 19-year-olds on Canada's roster. Of those 10, only four were remotely in contention last year. (Barker made the team, Bolland was a late cut, Dubnyk, I believe, was the first goalie cut, and an injury cost Chipchura a place on the checking line). Even if we didn't have the all-star team, thanks to the lockout and the strength of the 1985-born players, those are the only four 1986-born players on the team. Guys like Pogge, Boyd, Comeau, Blunden and Pouliot have made tremendous strides since their 18th birthdays. Pokuluk, I believe, is the only 19-year-old not playing a key role.

The closest thing to a fair comparison that we have is Kessel as a 17-year-old at the WJC vs. Crosby as a 17-year-old at the WJC. Can't compare their performance in league, since the Q vs. college isn't a fair comparison. (Although both played against opponents three or four years older). 17 vs. 17 is the only age vs. age comaprison we have. I'd love to see how 17-year-old Kessel would have faired vs. 17-year-old Crosby at the WU18 (now that would have been a fantastic gold medal game), but Crosby was still in the Q playoffs.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Anyone comparing Crosby's '05 tournament to Kessel's '06 tournament hasn't got a clue. Crosby was a small fish in a big pond and still was a factor every time he got on the ice. Kessel was a factor for one period against Norway and five minutes against the Czechs. That's about it.

And anyone making it an issue of nationality should know that I think the best American defender since Brian Leetch will go first overall - Eric Johnson. And Kessel will still go before Toews.

It's not a case of nationality at all. It's a case of a guy who looks like he has the ability to dominate in the NHL on a nightly basis versus a guy who looks like he can dominate the NHL when his team plays against non-playoff teams.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Who cares what Brian Burke thinks? - he's the laughing stock of most of the NHL for his moves.

Plenty of NHL GM's will promptly ignore him and gladly accept the word of NHL scouts, and take Kessel for themselves.

What a ridiculous post - Brian Burke is part of the 'inner circle' a.k.a. the 'old boys club' with GMs like Clarke, Muckler, Lamourillo etc. Laughing stock? :shakehead If you only knew...

Btw, Burke reported the scouts saying the same so it's not like it's only his opinion.

Oh and anyone who thinks Burke is an idiot for saying that aloud needs to get their heads checked, it's early january for crying out loud, Burke can do anything at the draft table and say he saw something that made him change his mind.

Some people should really think twice before posting.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Herby said:
Amazing how a trade can change your opinion of one guy.

When he was a Duck you said Fedorov was a Top 10 offensive player who was better than Elias, Demitra and Richards. Now you say he isn't worthy of a 3rd liner, a 4th liner and a #5 D-man.

Interesting.

Before the season started many Ducks fans had high hopes for Fedorov considering the new rules were supposed to suit him perfectly, it became clear very quickly though that his attitude sucks and it was time for damage control i.e. trying to get rid of his fat contract ASAP.

What Ducks got in return seemed like scrubs at first but Beauchemin has played REALLY well on both ends of the ice, hell he has even dropped the gloves once.

I'm perfectly happy with the trade since we got rid of Fedorov's contract and got a top4 d-man in back.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Pepper said:
What a ridiculous post - Brian Burke is part of the 'inner circle' a.k.a. the 'old boys club' with GMs like Clarke, Muckler, Lamourillo etc. Laughing stock? :shakehead If you only knew...

Btw, Burke reported the scouts saying the same so it's not like it's only his opinion.

Oh and anyone who thinks Burke is an idiot for saying that aloud needs to get their heads checked, it's early january for crying out loud, Burke can do anything at the draft table and say he saw something that made him change his mind.

Some people should really think twice before posting.

Pepper, I must admit that I start to second guess myself when I see you agreeing with me - but good to see we are on the same page on one issue. I agree with your post 100 per cent.

AgentNaslund*

futurcorerock said:
Actually, to be honest that was more of a rhetorical question.

I don't think Canadians are sure why they hate Kessel

I dont think you know what your talking about. No one said "i hate Phill Kessel"

were just bashing the crap outa him, because your prodigy child is not living up to his hype

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
AgentNaslund said:
I dont think you know what your talking about. No one said "i hate Phill Kessel"

were just bashing the crap outa him, because your prodigy child is not living up to his hype
He's not my prodigy child.

And didn't the Canadian media come out swingin' on the Phil Kessel hype machine?

The NHL and the hockey press have been desperately searching for the next one since the early 90's, this isn't a conspiracy set forth by the American HFers.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
AgentNaslund said:

What was his hype? A gold medal and a scoring champinoship in the WJC. Well there are two very solid rookies in the NHL and neither managed to pull off both last year. The bar was so high he was desended to fail.

At least you admit you are bashing him though.

If all he had was one move and it didn't work, he would zero points. Not be leading his tourney team in points and second on his college team. He has to be doing something out there. But people have tunnel vision and want him to fail.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
MN_Gopher said:
What was his hype? A gold medal and a scoring champinoship in the WJC. Well there are two very solid rookies in the NHL and neither managed to pull off both last year. The bar was so high he was desended to fail.

At least you admit you are bashing him though.

If all he had was one move and it didn't work, he would zero points. Not be leading his tourney team in points and second on his college team. He has to be doing something out there. But people have tunnel vision and want him to fail.
Congratulations. You are the post of reason.

I love you

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Yeah but since when was taking the "better overall player" a popular thing to do at the NHL Entry Draft.

Lot's of teams pass up a higher upside offensive player to take the better overall player. Happens all the time at the draft.

Based on limited viewing I'd say E. Johnson is ahead of Kessel. I think #1 defensemen are harder to acquire than top line forwards. E. Johnson has a great mix of size, skating, skill and physical play.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kessel is being bashed for 4 reasons:

1. Last Year most scouts said if he was in the Crosby draft it would be close as to who would go #1---probably Crosby but Kessel was that close in talent...
This year we see with our own eyes,he hasn't improved,nor is he anywhere close to a franchise player like Crosby...take away the Norway blow-out and he really did not have a great tournament...

2. He showed he was a "quitter"--on that play where he Skille and I think it was Porter all got caught up the ice and the Russkies counter-attacked back into the USA zone--none of the 3 even made an attempt to get back and check--they just stood still and watched--it was disgusting... (FYI --even though a Blackhawks fan,I've lambasted Skille even worse than Kessel for his poor tournament performance--I didn't see what the fuss was when the Hawks drafted Skille,I still don't,and wish the'd have taken Kopitar instead--but then,they did not listen to me in 2000 when I wanted Frolov and they bypassed him for both Vorobiev and Yakubov;I said Skille would bust and after seeing him play at the WJHC my suspiscion is confirmed to my eyes;all this wait till Skille fills out and he'll be a dominating power forward compared to Bill Guerin hype--it was crap at the draft and itlooks like even bigger crap now).

3. All the talk of Kessel's puck-hogging --to be fair,this criticism is overdone --he has piled up assists in the WJHC --BUT now the suspicion is that his individual moves to try to score goals will be easily stoped by the better D-men--especially at the NHL level--so the "upside" may not be there anymore--this may be the best he gets...

4.His defensive play--again to be fair--he always ways behind Crosby in that dept.--but now it is exposed as worse than most thought.In other words the microscope shifted to Kessel this year and his flwas are now exposed more fully.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad