Post-Game Talk: Brutal, Jets lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yep. I've got a musician friend who's a disciple of David Byrne, but as a cellist that does not make her Byrne's equivalent.

This town could use some smarter, sharper, tougher, braver sportswriters.

Hey now, by Ken Wiebe's logic someone should be giving that friend of yours a shot based on David Byrne's success. I'm sure there's record labels chomping at the bit to sign her.

Reactions: surixon and JetsUK

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not sure why Ken Wiebe's even carrying Dave Lowry's water. His entire argument just comes across as strange now that I've had a chance to actually listen to it. It basically boils down to (paraphrasing) Dave Lowry is a disciple of Darryl Sutter so that makes them equivalent to Wiebe :huh:

Honestly it sounds like old boys' club bullshit from Wiebe. Just a nonsensical argument.

I mean, he doesn't run anything close to resembling Sutter's systems.

Maybe that isnt his call but from what I've seen of him he is far more Maurice like the Sutter lite

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I feel Lowry was handcuffed by how he came in and being stuck with the assistants he has.

I do believe the team play has improved somewhat, but there are glaring deficiencies that are very hard to correct in season

I'd be more sympathetic if he came in and tried some new things that weren't exactly working out but hes done exactly the same thing as Maurice.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Will the whole coaching staff be let go at the end of the year, most definitely they should, will they? I'm not so sure with the way TNSE has done in the past, I mean Huddy is still here and they wouldn't fire Maurice. Lets hope they grab some balls and do the right thing to take this team in a different direction on and off the ice.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If both Scheifele and Wheeler are back next year then we need a coach that will actually play them on different lines. Our top 3 forwards on this team is Dubois, Connor and Ehlers, maybe try them together for a few shifts when we need a goal .

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
When the opposition has possession in our zone and the puck goes to the defenseman at the point, the next time i saw Scheifele go towards that defenseman and give a half-ass attempt to knock the puck away and skate out of our zone hoping for a defensive play by one of my teamates and a pass to him for a breakaway he would be sitting the rest of the game. Scheifele does this all the time, it's unbelievable and no way to defend.

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB
I feel Lowry was handcuffed by how he came in and being stuck with the assistants he has.

I do believe the team play has improved somewhat, but there are glaring deficiencies that are very hard to correct in season
In a way I get what you mean, but overall I think this just comes across as an excuse. MSL took over a vastly inferior Canadiens roster (with faaar worse goaltending) and has made them look night and day different. That game we beat Montreal 8-4 could've been a very different outcome if the Habs get barely average goaltending.

The biggest difference with this team since Lowry has taken over is that the penalty kill is very much improved. I think he deserves credit for that, although the "try nothing new except talk about it constantly" approach that preceded it would be difficult NOT to improve on.

The team still has prolonged lulls of uninspired, "who gives a shit" play, the defensive play is very unstructured and is frankly difficult to watch, and they continuously play down to teams in important games. They lack energy and often look to be just going through motions versus playing with a purpose. Those are all things that can be addressed in the moment but just...seem to always happen anyways?

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
If both Scheifele and Wheeler are back next year then we need a coach that will actually play them on different lines. Our top 3 forwards on this team is Dubois, Connor and Ehlers, maybe try them together for a few shifts when we need a goal .
I believe the issue is the leadership group. Or at least 55 and 26. One has become an angry old man yelling at anyone and everyone except the players themselves. Sheifs play has been deteriorating for several years. Not his skating. Not his ability to score.Not his pure talent. But his ability to play hockey the right way has. When I focus on him in a game it's incredible. Coasting, reaching with his stick , losing puck battle after puck battle........
You simply cannot have a leadership group like that.I don't care what coach comes in , how can they turn things around if they are the team leaders. I guess an old experienced coach who doesn't care who those 2 think they are could have a shot. Personally as much as I WAS a fan I think it's time to move on from Sheif. Pull the C from Wheeler and move him down the lineup.
Edit : I'm wondering if the slump in ticket sales might open the eyes of ownership. Perhaps they will accept a serious reboot is needed.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck is back to being absolutely brutal after teasing us with that game against Vegas. And only two goals (including an open better against the Sens?? Their goalie didn’t even have to play well.
Lowry is a absolute idiot for not playing Comrie last night. Helly had over 40 shots against Vegas and stood on his head, the guy needed to rest. If Comrie was absolutely horrible then ok but Comrie has been very good this year.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Lowry is a absolute idiot for not playing Comrie last night. Helly had over 40 shots against Vegas and stood on his head, the guy needed to rest. If Comrie was absolutely horrible then ok but Comrie has been very good this year.

I agree -- made no sense. Give Helle a rest against OTT and then bring him back against CBJ.

Instead we have an exhausted Helle -- who will never choose to rest over playing -- and a very rusty Comrie who gets absolutely no credit or reward for his excellent play this year.

Helle wants to play but shouldn't play. Wheeler wants top-line minutes and shouldn't have top-line minutes anymore. Scheifele floats around game after game. The D scheme bleeds chances against and forwards can't make or take passes but they're weary, would rather have another day off than practice.

You're the f*cking HC. You are paid to work harder, plan better and make the smart and sometimes difficult decisions for the benefit of the team. Sit Helle. Put Wheeler where he's most effective. Bench 55 until he starts to play more disciplined hockey. Bin the weirdo hybrid D scheme than no one understands 4 years later. Practice, practice.

Ask yourself: What would [insert actually good coach here] do?

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I agree -- made no sense. Give Helle a rest against OTT and then bring him back against CBJ.

Instead we have an exhausted Helle -- who will never choose to rest over playing -- and a very rusty Comrie who gets absolutely no credit or reward for his excellent play this year.

Helle wants to play but shouldn't play. Wheeler wants top-line minutes and shouldn't have top-line minutes anymore. Scheifele floats around game after game. The D scheme bleeds chances against and forwards can't make or take passes but they're weary, would rather have another day off than practice.

You're the f*cking HC. You are paid to work harder, plan better and make the smart and sometimes difficult decisions for the benefit of the team. Sit Helle. Put Wheeler where he's most effective. Bench 55 until he starts to play more disciplined hockey. Bin the weirdo hybrid D scheme than no one understands 4 years later. Practice, practice.

Exactly, great post. :nod:

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Slot chances.
vUls0Ox.png
Looks like global warming before and after.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

If you let them, goalies would play every game. It's beyond belief that everyone, except goalies themselves and apparently our coaching staff, don't understand that 'fatigue' is a thing.

At this point, I'd be excited to see Claude Nöel back.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I mean, he doesn't run anything close to resembling Sutter's systems.

Maybe that isnt his call but from what I've seen of him he is far more Maurice like the Sutter lite

I would gladly have Maurice back if the alternative is Lowry. Maurice had better results and his pressers are entertaining and engaging.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
I feel nothing when I watch this team. It has been getting progressively worse over the past few seasons. An angry fan is better than an apathetic one. True North should be worried.
If they aren’t concerned with the fans growing level of frustration, they really should be. Not really sure if they actually understand that a lot of fans are ready for meaningful, impactful change.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't know if it is the leadership group, or 55, or 26, or HC Lowry, or all of the assistants, or someone/thing else, or all of the above, or Zinger, or Helle - and I no longer gice a s**t. Fire or trade all of them! Start over from scratch! Go full on scorched earth!

F**k this s**t!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think Lowry and staff should be gone but I would have given Helle yesterday's start and Comrie tonight's game.
Why give your starter the game with the tired team?
Lowry should be gone yesterday and the staff the day before.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

This proves the coaching staff is for the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad